• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Encounter with the Mythical Surathkolb

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The whole "Sane Guide to Mecha Fandom" thing only really applies to the whole UC vs. AU Gundam debates. Otherwise, aside from the few non EVA releases in the past decade, you kind of HAVE to go back to the 70-90s well to scoop up most mecha shows, which already have the stigma of being "old" and not as crazily handled as TTGL was.

A really good primer for mecha shows would be Super Robot Wars, while the language barrier would be a problem, it offers a flashy way to test the waters of mecha fandom.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ CG-LOVER - I think you got hosed. Just checked Amazon.com and a seller there is offering a new copy for $69.95. Naturally, I have no way of determining whether that is a bootleg or not. Used copies are starting at $46.48.

Well for one thing I'd never buy anything used.

Also, I'm no fan of the Amazon Marketplace as I've been burned by them before.

Besides, that one new copy selling for $69 looks like the only one. So I mean once that's gone the next cheapest costs 127 bucks! The point is that this movie just isn't as cheap as it once was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I got Death and Rebirth for $2.89 and End of Evangelion for $9.45 last year from Go Hastings. They were used, but I got the movie posters and they're in impeccable condition, so they might as well be new. Then again, I am awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I got Death and Rebirth for $2.89 and End of Evangelion for $9.45 last year from Go Hastings. They were used, but I got the movie posters and they're in impeccable condition, so they might as well be new. Then again, I am awesome.

Hastings Entertainment, not so mythical land of OOP anime Wink They carry a lot in their Brick and Mortar stores and it seems and gohastings gets a lot of the stuff they didn't get sold. As for this podcast, I almost spit out the pudding I was eating while trying not to lol when I heard the description of the lead character in Toriko as the love child of Goku and Dark Schneider Smile .
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
i have to agree.. i don't trust ebay in that department i do get my figures and doujins from them but there is no way I am buying dvd's again, i have been burned on illegal dvd's twice and that was enough. I just gave them to friend who likes anime but still it ticks me off knowing i payed x amount for something like that.

Now listen, I already said the copy I bought wasn't a bootleg, cause it sounds like you were implying that.

I made sure to find out what the cover of the DVD looks like and I assure you the one I have looks exactly like this one. It also came complete with the DVD booklet/poster on the inside. The disc itself is then silver on both sides, which I'm told is how it should look. So, a bootleg wouldn't have all of the same features as the official R1 release right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
joecoolhascome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
i find it amusing that most of the new and well-liked anime is often described as "Please don't screw this up"
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I somehow missed seeing this go up.

I was introduced to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic just two weeks ago without realizing its internet popularity and liked it on its own merits. Granted, it's cheesy and explicitly states the moral at the end of each episode, but it carries its weight.

I'm going to my first con in a couple weeks. I have no idea what I'm going to do.
DanielJay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Daryl for including Big O with his list of anime that caught the fancy of Western audiences.

At the time, Big O was considered a Batman: The Animated Series clone with some clumsy mecha battles. But it still is famous for garnering a "second" season, co-produced by Cartoon Network.

I wonder what reception Big O would get if a modernized version came out in today's market, much like Tiger and Bunny is capturing everyone's fancy.

Are there other anime titles people can think of that were either fortunate or unfortunate to be released at a certain time in history? Anything overlooked? Before its time? A diamond in the rough?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Good podcast, Zac.

I wish I could attend the convention to see the history of hentai. I need to freshen on that part. Laughing

Also, I have gotten chance to watch We without Wings episode 1 on Crunchyrolls. That anime was confusing and I didn't understand what's going on. That part about the little 10 year old in the black dress showing her panties and saying "In my Kitten, your monster" is very disturbing, and freaky when I saw that part. I don't know if I want to continue watching episode 2 or not.

Oh to answer one of the twitter question about Japan-US coproduction for things like Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. I think it's a good thing for western games to get anime adaptation. Most of the time, Japanese game get them, and if western stories can get anime adaptation why not western video games. Japan-US coproductions is not that strange or new, I have researched on past US-Japanese coproduction from the past even before ANN was created. But since anime is getting more interest from western viewers, it would mean good business for US and Japan. So I support US-Japanese coproductions. I would love to see more western video game get anime adaptation:

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (Just think Gunslinger Girls, but without cyborg girls)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

Assassin's Creed

God of War (Berserk, Claymore style violence for this anime adaptation of this game)

I could list more but I need to do something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4