• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Away For the Holidays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

I'm not sure about the second episode (heck, I'm not even sure there is a second episode. I'm confused about this "Lord Mark" guy, as he wasn't in this disc, and TRSI shows this as being the only Lady Innocent there...), but the first one is just filled with pretty, normal sex. So I guess for first-time hentai buyers who don't really know what kind of stuff they like, this would be a good "gateway," as it's pretty much devoid of anything that could possibly offend.

I heard the second one comes out in 2007... possibly
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

but you guys have been doing this for awhile, so surely you have a good radar of what's gonna be crap before it goes on the pile, otherwise every obscure title woud be reviewed.

... or do the companies just send you guys something and you review it.

I review whatever comes my way, as well as any discs I pick up at the store that don't get sent to me.

But, even though I can sometimes sense what I'll dislike before I watch it, sometimes it'll surprise me, or even change my opinion halfway through. And, for that matter, it would be *ideal* if every obscure title would be reviewed, because then people can hear about a title they may not have heard of before. If I were to only review things I liked, I may as well just put out a list at the beginning of every month saying what I liked, but then that would be pointless.
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
The Wild pwn j00 sorry avalanche
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Rion wrote:
Wow, a Hentei in the rental shelf?

Amazing... Shocked

It's not the first time. Hell, she put that yaoi series Legend of Blue Wolves in the Rental Shelf. Though I give her credit for putting Moonlight Lady in the Rental Shelf awhile back; that series had the hottest yuri scenes ever. Cool
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:

Anime cry And in Patty's last season too. *shakes a fist*
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
You should come to Flyers games. I could at least be a meat shield.

Sad I'd be so conflicted, since you guys have our Forsberg.

That's not as bad as Dallas taking an entire team away from us Minnesotans.

Not as bad as your former hockey franchise incorporating Cleveland's NHL team back in 1977 just so you Minnesotians can still have a franchise? Sounds pretty bad to me. Wink

Anyway, back to the anime. As much as I am enjoying Godannar up to this point, I don't know if it should be considered shelf-worthy yet. The pacing of the story and the way the creators are balancing the mecha with the fanservice sort of reminds me a little bit as to how Kiddy Grade started. However, I do agree that:

1. Godannar is very entertaining, and the story is developing nicely. I'm anxious to see how Goh's ex plays out during the course of the series, although I heard that the episode count in future volumes will be a bit odd.

2. Godannar is WORLDS better than the piece of garbage that is Gravion (and it does pains me a bit to say bad things about a Studio Gonzo title, but Gravion relied too heavily on fanservice, and there was not enough focus on creating a well-structured plot. Another problem I had with Gravion were the characters; they were very uninspiring and plastic, and not even ADV's talented dub team can turn these characters into something that is remotely enjoyable. How this series garner a second season is beyond me; just shows that the Japanese audience can be just as clueless as American audiences. Cool )

But I disagree with the comment about Anna's design. I think she looks cute with that pouty, expressive face of hers. How could you not like that, B? Wink

I actually find the characters of Yumeria quite entertaining, but that's just me. I don't take harem series too seriously, and I know that they're built on cliches (that's one of their trademark), but like I mentioned a few times here, as long as I enjoy watching the characters, it will find a place on my cramped shelves. Anyway to support the anime industry. Laughing

v1cious wrote:
but you guys have been doing this for awhile, so surely you have a good radar of what's gonna be crap before it goes on the pile, otherwise every obscure title would be reviewed.

The variety of titles that this column portrays in its 99 incarnations (including this one) is the main reason why Shelf Life is one of the best columns on the Internet. The reviews are crisp and to-the-point, not too technical or spoiler-heavy like the reviews you read over at Anime on DVD (although those reviews are pretty good to read on occasion, as are the ANN reviews). Plus, it's a good guide to use for future reference in case there's a title that you missed that you want to check out. I made it a habit to print a hardcopy of Shelf Life ever since I became a registered user at ANN and I have a good archive of articles should there be a *hidden gem* that I might have missed.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Bamboo, and I'm looking forward to #100.

Last edited by biliano on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Since I lurk here most of the time and don't express appreciation enough, I just wanted to thank you for the columns you write and the work you put into them. They are a valuable source of information for me, and very helpful when I'm trying to decide where to spend my hard-earned money. They're also wonderfully entertaining to read.

That's all. No gripes. No whining. Nothing but thanks.
Js2756

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I'm still debating on whether or not I should check out Street Fighter Generations, I didn't like Alpha at all and seeing as how this is a 45 min. prequel it doesn't seem like there is enough content in it. Also, ANN had links a while to little scenes from the movie and there was a scene where Ryu fought Sakura. Now correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Sakura meet Ryu for the first time in Alpha? Also I thought Ryu wasn't really aware of Akuma until Alpha, so how is this a prequel (especially since from what I heard they changed Akuma's name to Gouki)?

Although I haven't gotten around to watching generations, I'm pretty sure it is much more heavily based on the 3 SF alpha games canon, rather than that of the original Alpha movie (which admittedly had nothing to do with SF alpha canon).
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:

And Ottowa pwnz a11z0rz, so what's your point?

Alas, another attempt to lure Bamboo to my general vicinity fails. Crying or Very sad
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Along the way, he meets random characters from the game who aren’t really introduced, but it’s assumed that you’ve already played the game (bad assumption) and know why they would have a reason to spar with him and be his buddy.

The whole thing is even more pathetic if you've played the games. In terms of characters actually from the game, there's Ryu, Ken, Sakura, Akuma/Gouki, and technically Gouken and Goutetsu - everyone else, including the crappy "Old Master" are thrown in originals. I can never figure out why they'd feel the need to throw in their own characters when the Street Fighter franchise is bursting at the seams with characters that are perfectly capable of filling those roles.

I really, REALLY don't get why Gouki's face is made of potatoes sometimes. And why they're using those weird Dragonball-Marvel-vs-Capcom beams of Godzilla vomit.

If you've never touched the games, prepare to leave with feelings of "eh". If you're familiar with the games, prepare to cry yourself to sleep over another missed opportunity. This is a step backwards for animated Street Fighter. Rewatch the other two movies and read Udon's comic books (now THERE'S a good story based on video game canon).
Quote:
Tsukihime was based on a game and look how well that turned out.

GUYS IT'S A TRAP GET OUT OF THERE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE
Quote:
Ironic you should bring it up, since Chris Beveridge thinks ANN is too stuck-up to review the genre. He also seemed to give Another Lady Innocent a better score than Bamboo. And for some reason, he tends to rank anything with boobies higher than her too. So I guess we know who's really the shallow one here.

Isn't it also fairly safe to say that Chris is more in the target audience for this one than B. Dong? It's really no surprise that a man would probably like cartoon boobies more than her and I don't see it as shallow. I'm sure there's a few threads about that here somewhere already, though.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know they're entitled to their opinions even if it isn't aimed at them, etc.
Quote:
although I heard that the episode count in future volumes will be a bit odd.

What's this about? :o
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ironic you should bring it up, since Chris Beveridge thinks ANN is too stuck-up to review the genre. He also seemed to give Another Lady Innocent a better score than Bamboo. And for some reason, he tends to rank anything with boobies higher than her too. So I guess we know who's really the shallow one here.

I don't believe so. Bamboo mentioned that she reviews whatever title she chooses along with the titles that Chris M. assigns her. The same probably goes for Theron, Zac, Carlo, and whoever else reviews anime & manga here. If Bamboo or any other reviewer at ANN want to review H-titles, they have the right to do so. Just because ANN doesn't review H-titles as often as Chris B. doesn't necessary mean that ANN is stuck-up. That's their preference. Cool

Last edited by biliano on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:16 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:

biliano wrote:
although I heard that the episode count in future volumes will be a bit odd.

What's this about? Surprised

We were discussing about Godannar's potential episode distribution over at Anime On DVD, and it was mentioned that Godannar's episode distribution is going to be the following:

5/4/4/4/3/3/3 = 26 episodes over 7 volumes.

According to what was mentioned on the thread, Matt Greenfield set this format up so that each disc will have their own story arc, or something in that respect. I thought it was a bit odd because it was believe that the episodes of Godannar was going to be distributed the same way as the episodes of Noir - 5/4/3/4/3/4/3.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
question.

the hentai title, you say it is pretty clean etc

is the sex itself free of bondage and the like or do you just mean the animation is clean and it is full of bondage, rape and tentacles?

Both, actually, but I was referring to the animation.

Lookswise, it's very pristine. The people are very "shiny" (lots of white reflection marks), there's no stray lines, and everything is very groomed colorwise (as opposed to random shadings here and there, black strokes of ink there to denote hair, etc).

The sex itself is also rather tame, as it's just a few positions over and over again. No bondage, no rape, no poop-eating, no animals, etc. I'm not sure about the second episode (heck, I'm not even sure there is a second episode. I'm confused about this "Lord Mark" guy, as he wasn't in this disc, and TRSI shows this as being the only Lady Innocent there...), but the first one is just filled with pretty, normal sex. So I guess for first-time hentai buyers who don't really know what kind of stuff they like, this would be a good "gateway," as it's pretty much devoid of anything that could possibly offend.

sounds more or less perfect then.

I'm no newbie to the hentai genre but I dislike the prevalence or rape bondage and tantacles.

thanks for the heads up.

hentai...with decent animation? The only other one I can think of is Immoral Sisters...
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:51 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I don't think I ever said that, but you're basically taking a conversation with Zac out of context. During that particular discussion of whether hentail could even be considered anime, I believe he said that ANN doesn't even review hentai.

As for the shallow comment, whatever, just continue your crusade against me, it's always amusing to see new comments. I mean, it's not like people could have different tastes about shows and what they get out of it, particularly with things like hentai.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I don't think I ever said that, but you're basically taking a conversation with Zac out of context. During that particular discussion of whether hentail could even be considered anime, I believe he said that ANN doesn't even review hentai.

As for the shallow comment, whatever, just continue your crusade against me, it's always amusing to see new comments. I mean, it's not like people could have different tastes about shows and what they get out of it, particularly with things like hentai.

you have a lin k to this discussion or is it just spread across many topics?

and hey whats wrong with hentai anyway..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3