• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Slam Dunk Plagiarism Scandal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bell02

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
Oh please!
Every sports manga gets their ideas from real sports! Does this mean titles like Eyesheild 21 and Prince of Tennis are going to be busted also.

That's just stupid!
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
A pose is copyrighted? We might want to stop moving, we might be sued...no, then we'd be copying a stop... Hmm...what can we do?

Seriously, this is stupid. A LOT of people use photo and image refrences to draw... "How to Draw" books...people. Sometimes, I have to use pictures to draw hands and feet...sometimes with clothes.

The diffrence between this an the other plagiarism thing was that the other copied page to page and just changed the story.

I don't care about "Slam Dunk" or whatever, but I'm betting that almost any good basketball player can proform these poses shown in these photos...so this is just stupid...
Darkedsilver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
I think this is just absurd. I don't honestly think that what Inoue did can count as plagiarism. The poses for basketball, to me, look all the same. I even do the same poses when playing and I've never even seen those pictures before.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
EroKaos wrote:
... Im speechless. And no is not about the similarities. This is just plain bullcrap. This is not plagiarism, Inoue is not using any of the pictures themselves in the manga. How is a person suppose to draw manga if he can use poses that are used by everybody playing basketball?

The people how started this conflict or whatever you want to call it should do a little more research on what plagiarism means.

Think about it. You have over 1000 games played a season. Each season, there are thousand of pictures, you can find picture of almost every post/position/angle.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriParagon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Inoue acknowledge that fact that he use NBA photo as references several years ago. Many artist use picture for reference. It's not like he kept it a secret and didn't let anybody know what he was up to. Inoue did 30 volumes of Slam Dunk with over 1000 panal of basketball scene and all they got was 9 scenes from NBA photo that he acknowledges using, and say Inoue couldn't draw bball so he had to plagiarize? I think the fans of Flower of Eden are just really mad.

This is almost as bad as Diamon Dallas Page (former wrestler) sueing Jay-Z (multi-millionaire rapper), becaue they both use the same hand-sign: The Diamond cutter and the Roc symbol.

Page had that hand sign copyrighted down to every detail. He's also not a former wrestler. He wrestles every now and then. He's mainly into yoga. I think it's fine to sue a person who's infringing upon your copyright. Was the copyright stupid? Not really. He used that hand signal during the prime of the Monday Night Wars in WCW Nitro. He has a vested interest in it.

Oh, and those pictures bore an uncanny resemblance. You people are kidding yourselves if you think those weren't ripped off. If the pictures were copyrighted then that guy is out of luck.
Insane E

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and those pictures bore an uncanny resemblance. You people are kidding yourselves if you think those weren't ripped off. If the pictures were copyrighted then that guy is out of luck.

And you got to be kidding yourself for think that most, if not all, of thoes pics actully are a special pose. One don't need to be a basketball fanatic to see and understand that there is not so damn many ways to run with the dall or make a shot not to mention being bent down waiting something to happen.

To me this just seem like head hunting from pissed fans of Flower of Eden. Just look how serious that email looks, just proves that the people doing this have very little to do with thier spare time.
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote
This is laughable, if anything.

You cannot sue based on body positioning, and characteristics.

Besides, its not like he lied about it. Most artists do you pictures and things for inspiriation. A friend of mine who is an artist has alot of picture books with various things for inspiration. So, if he draws a bird, and it happens to be flying in the same manner as the one in the book, is that plagerism?

No. His bird has differences. Such as color, size, and so forth. Plagerism is putting a piece of paper of the book and tracing the image.

Those images that are up for comparision are not completely the same. Thus, he just used them for inspiration for how ones body would be. How the arms would extend during a shot, and so forth.

This is an idiotic case, and if it were up to me, it wouldn't even go to trial.

In regards to the person who plagerised Inoue, I don't believe their manga should have been cancelled, if a formal appology was made.

Regarding Diamond Dallas Page, he has been using the Diamond Cutter since around '94. And, last I saw, earlier in the year at TNA, he was still using it, so, if Jay-Z wants to claim to have invented it, he can, but I think millions of people would say otherwise. And he should definantly have to pay royalties for such an infringement. Aswell as that, I hope the injunction succeds.

Thats my two cents.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:02 am Reply with quote
Anyone notice that the photo use for comparison with frame 15 pg 39 is in fact a composite?

Just look where the guy in whites left foot is!

JBV^_^
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:17 am Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
Just look where the guy in whites left foot is!

You can tell it's not the live picture from its background. Rather, it's a picture on a magazine / newspaper, where pictures were cut around borders and only the object being reported (in this case the basketball player) remains. The person who cut it didn't do a good job, but it doesn't mean it's a composite picture. Same with the left foot of man in blue on vol. 15 p. 29.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:32 am Reply with quote
HitokiriParagon wrote:

I agree, some of those pictures, pretty much any of them with more then two people in them are way too similar. A couple that have 4 or 5 guys in them are just really obvious copies. I doubt those exact poses happen that often. I find it odd that people rush to defend him but no one defended the artist that copied from his work. Are photographs and drawings really that different? If you think they are I think any professional photographer would argue with you. And people say things like:
Quote:
And you got to be kidding yourself for think that most, if not all, of thoes pics actully are a special pose. One don't need to be a basketball fanatic to see and understand that there is not so damn many ways to run with the dall or make a shot not to mention being bent down waiting something to happen.

Do you mean to tell me then, that no one could possibly draw a character in the same pose as him? And yes she admitted copying from him, but I don't see how that's any different from him admitting to copying from magazines. Manga doesn't get enough credit as an artform. If she'd said she was parodying him it would have been all cool, but when she does something more like an homage everyone flips. If it'd been a story parody, I could see the argument, no one needs another "Slam Dunk" (Hell, no one needed it in the first place), but a couple of her art panels look similar to his? Big deal. I think the japanese companies really overreacted.
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote
I don't find that wrong at all. It's all silly.
Affinity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
I am shocked by how many people are willing to rush to his defense when it is quite obvious that he copied those pictures. How often are you going to have 5 people posed the exact same way in a basketball game? That's highly unlikely. And why did he have to copy the referee? Did you notice that? He copied the entire scene, excluding the audience! Also the folds in the clothing are exactly the same. It is rare that peoples clothes will fold the same, he could have at least changed that. And if you look at the expressions in a few of those pics those are the same too.

Come on people. I'd tell you to look harder, but really, you shouldn't have to because it's just that obvious.

Quote:
This is kind of silly. Even American comic artist Scott McDaniel recommonds doing this: http://www.scottmcdaniel.net/drawing/drawexer/char.html

"Bodybuilder Albert Beckles becomes Kraven the Hunter!!" "Bodybuilder Barry DeMey becomes the Silver Surver!!" "Talk-Show host Phil Donahue becomes the Supreme Intelligence!!"

http://www.scottmcdaniel.net/drawing/drawexer/dual.html

Did you notice in those examples how the artist buffed some of the people up. In all the pictures the look of the people was changed and the clothing was changed. Inoue did not do this.
ShadowrazoR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
indeed the poses are identical. it's pretty obvious he copied the from the first picture. if he just copied the guy in that pic then it would not be such a big problem. but he had to draw the hand at the side in the same position too. however the rest of the poses are pretty normal.

if those pictures are copyrighted then he's gonna get in trouble. but which person in his right mind would copyright a picture of michael jordan just standing there and panting?! in the end, it's just the matter getting exposed but nothing will happen since there's nothing wrong with copying non-copyrighted poses. people will just forget about this incident soon enough.
renegade_bit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
Reference and Copying are two totally different terms when you gets into the technicalities of it. Reference would be using a side profile photograph of someone to draw a front-face shot of someone. Copying is redrawing the photograph. You all may hate it, but it's the technicalities of the law that were put in place to protect the copyrights of photographers as well. I've got art classes and most of my profs are pretty clear-cut on what is what because in the real world, copying can lead to scandal, lawsuits and etc.
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
Affinity wrote:
Did you notice in those examples how the artist buffed some of the people up. In all the pictures the look of the people was changed and the clothing was changed. Inoue did not do this.

But Inoue did turn them into Bishounen. Laughing

So whats the big deal? I can study a person in real life and use them as refrence, but I can't study a real life person in a copyrighted photograph in a magazine and use that as refrence? Bull [expletive] shit.

That's about as messed up as studying another persons artwork for refrence and claiming that to be plagerism. There is nothing wrong with using any sort of refrence, just long as it remains just that, refrence. But when you have a sports manga here...you don't have many choices when it comes to action packed poses, so of course your gonna see alot of the same poses known to the sport. That's just how it is.

And that's probably also why manga publishers are chicken to bring out more sports manga our way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5