• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon USA Takes Over Pokemon Licensing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just wow.

Well, I'm estatic at the moment. IMO 4Kids didn't alter Pokemon too much (since there isn't much anyways), and it was actually decent, since the main target audience is for kids.

Seeing a new dub would be cool. Obviously the names will still be the NA names (like they're actually going to revert back to Satoshi, Kasumi, Haruka, etc. Rolling Eyes ), but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing an unaltered Pokemon. Maybe there's a chance that the original OPs & EDs will be kept! (Yes, I am being optimistic, but whatever. Rolling Eyes ) Or, at least a translated version of the OPs & EDs.

Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see how Pokemon USA will handle it.

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
YourNeighborTotoro wrote:
Maybe we'll get to see a subbed version of Pokemon in the future? Very Happy Very Happy

This is the one thing I'm hoping comes out of all this.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I'm willing to bet this has nothing to do 4Kids' performance nor Al Khan.(Godwin's Law!) You don't throw a company that made your show a TV staple under the bus. It's just bad business. Yashouzoid's stock ticker is typical Wall Street, panicking over every little thing, although Pokémon isn't technically "little", but you get the idea.

Did you know, that out of, around more than a dozen series, Pokémon was the only 4Kids show that didn't hurt them somehow? Or that chances are, it was the only reason their entertainment division wasn't completely disbanded? What else are they to profit from? Yugioh, the same Yugioh that's ending in just a couple of months and has lost most of its steam anyway? 4Kids TV, the lowest rated Saturday morning block in America?

This isn't going to help 4Kids - this is going to hurt them. Big time.

On the flip side, this'll probably be a major investment for Nintendo, as 4Kids will receive little to none of the profit gained off of the TCG, DVDs, TV airings, video games, etc. about a year from now, which all sell hugely. Considering that all the ties with Viz have already been established, and that the TCG and video games are pretty much unrelated to 4Kids, I doubt Nintendo will lose much by axing their relationship with them.

And be honest. 4Kids was a huge factor in making Pokemon a success, I'll admit that. Nintendo isn't stupid - 4Kids must have pissed them off terribly for them to have the license taken that way. But hey, if they think they're better off without their biggest franchise, more power to them, I won't stop them.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
YourNeighborTotoro wrote:
Maybe we'll get to see a subbed version of Pokemon in the future? Very Happy Very Happy

This is the one thing I'm hoping comes out of all this.

Agreed.

I liked the job done on the Pokemon games (even though I haven't palyed the games or seen the anime in years)... Here's hoping these folks do well.

Basically, if this all comes down to a release of original Japanese episodes of Pokemon (the first 2 seasons, preferably) down the road, I'll be happy.
Dexo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
A-one, a-two, a-one two three four:

http://quote.morningstar.com/Quote.html?ticker=KDE

Holy ****...as much as I hate to say it Yash is correct...
Koe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
POKéMON USA Moves Licensing In-House In 2006

4Kids Entertainment To Transition Its Representation Of Pokémon

NEW YORK (December 23rd, 2005) - 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE) and Pokémon USA, Inc. announced today that they have agreed not to renew the Pokémon representation agreement set to expire on December 31st, 2005. Beginning in 2006, Pokémon USA, Inc's. in-house licensing group will handle all Pokémon licensing outside of Asia.

"We felt it was in the best interest of the Pokémon property for Pokémon USA, Inc. to assume all aspects of licensing," said Akira Chiba, President of Pokémon USA, Inc., "This was a brand management decision. We would like to thank 4Kids for all of its great work over the last eight years in helping to establish Pokémon as one of the leading children's brands in the world."

"4Kids has had a successful eight-year exclusive relationship with the Pokémon property that will be expiring at the end of the year," said Alfred R. Kahn, Chairman and CEO of 4Kids Entertainment. "Over the next month, 4Kids will assist Pokémon USA, Inc., in its transition to in-house representation. We wish Pokémon USA much success going foward."

Under the terms of the expiring Pokémon USA, Inc., - 4Kids representation agreement, 4Kids will continue to receive commissions for the next several years on payments made under existing Pokémon licensing agreements whose terms expire after December 31st, 2005. It is expected that commisions earned by 4Kids from the Pokémon property will decline over the course of the next several years. 4Kids will also continue to next year to produce the current eighth season of Pokémon television episodes.

I found this here. It seems that 4Kids will still receive profits from the series for at least the next few years.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
if anything, this may mean that we'd finally get the japanese audio on dvds of the movies - or something. i think it's a move for the better.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:59 am Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
if anything, this may mean that we'd finally get the japanese audio on dvds of the movies - or something. i think it's a move for the better.

True.Also the move means that there might possibly have UN-CUT versions in the near future.i'll definately would like too see that.The problem is that they may be changes in the voice actors dept and I like the current actors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:04 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

Above anything, though, I really hope that Nintendo not only stops the needless edits (Hey, let's remove the crosshairs from that gun! That'll make it like, so totally safe!), but when erasing text and such, they actually REPLACE it with something. How unreal is it for characters to read blank signs?

honestly, 4kids could've saved a lot of money on pointless edits like text on signs (they get rid of english text too!) and more pointless edits

i can understand guns, bloods, for kids releases, but 4kids has some of the most unreasonable edits
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
Koe wrote:
It seems that 4Kids will still receive profits from the series for at least the next few years.

Chances are, it won't matter much by the end of 2006, since Pokemon USA will probably have released a whole slew of merchandise unrelated to 4Kids.

Quote:
The problem is that they may be changes in the voice actors dept and I like the current actors.

Mike Pollock said that while 4Kids won't handle the censorship, music, scripting, etc. Nintendo will keep the original voice-overs.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
This could mean uncut Pokemon including the firest series sweet. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jkid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not suprised or shocked but if Pokemon USA allows or releases the Uncut pokemon series, that would be great.

The problem is the banned "Porygon" episode.
fansubs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news im very happy to see 4kids suffer now that there number one show is not theres any more!
this is a great chrismas present from nintendo
im very happy to see something bad happen to 4kids because its about damn time
now if konami do the same for yu-gi-oh....
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Jkid wrote:
I'm not suprised or shocked but if Pokemon USA allows or releases the Uncut pokemon series, that would be great.

The problem is the banned "Porygon" episode.

Actually, I heard the problem wasn't just the flashing. Another problem that contributed to it was the TV and the dark environment. I know I didn't cite that quite correctly.

Regardless, I don't think it will be a problem since I saw a fansub of that episode and I never got any seizures or any problem during and after the episode. I watched it all on my CRT computer monitor.
mangod
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
I'm also hoping for subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6