• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: America's 2009 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.741 Billion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Well it seem that Funi and Viz keep growing while the other one are shrinking
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Any thoughts on why the 2003 crash had a delayed effect on manga sales? I would have thought it would parallel video/merchandising sales (although it does looks like dvd sales have been steady throughout, more or less)

well over licensing of manga titles likely wasn't as bad. We have yet to see a major manga publisher fall. That and manga was always been a relatively reasonable in price if you ask me for the most part back then when the price tag of a book was around $10
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
I find it more telling at how the anime goods market seemed to stay fairly consistent these past several years. It's kinda difficult to torrent and download a body pillow. Wink Companies like Toylet or Toyslogic or Hobbyfan certainly have gotten enough of my money over the years, I'm surprised Japanese companies haven't explored this option more themselves.

Yep even Yamakan had mentioned this too in dealing with his experience with Studio Ordet and Black Rock Shooter, saying, "give anime away to sell toys/merch/figures". However I don't think Japanese companies need to do anything. Merchandise makers already make money by exporting overseas so there's no need for localized licensing. And anime and manga rights holders already make money by licensing rights to the merchandise. In fact just look at how many Japanese stores and retailers now ship directly abroad. Even Crunchyroll does that with their daily deals.

Charred Knight wrote:
You really think the anime industry can sustain itself only in Japan? They have a shrinking population, and mainstream hits are few and far between.

Expand, perhaps not. But sustain? Yes. How else have they been able to do so for the longest time when 1) the bulk of anime has never been mainstream. That said, I think it is actually much less mainstream here in the US simply due to polarizing sensibilities than it is in Japan and many other countries 2) most anime do not make it over here (there's at least 100 maybe up to 150 a year with ovas, movies in Japan -- how many new BD/DVDs do we see here a year?) and even those that do, most take a good while, which means that most companies don't view the US as the first go-to place for the *bulk* of anime, except for a few select series. Given that the character goods market is and has always been an order of magnitude larger--even if you remove Pokemon, you still have revenue from the rest, the bulk of character goods like figures, that is many times larger video sales--many could still be sustained via merch licensing catering to otaku and fujoshi, both in Japan and the larger crowd dispersed abroad.

Also with regards to population, it is not necessarily a bad thing as I mentioned in a previous post

Last edited by configspace on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
niclic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
Outside of a few select titles that clearly have broader appeal (i.e Poke-me, Dragon Balls), anime is a niche hobby and business in North America. It alway has been and always will be. The figures may look crap but its hard to say for sure what they really mean. The trend is definitely downward, but I don't think this heralds the imminent collapse of the anime industry in North America - perhaps just a re-balancing and a return to the norm. Of course, this may mean less titles, fewer cons, and a few companies go under, but that's called Economics.

The small market reflects the tiny, yet passionate, fan base for purchasing anime titles and goods. Everybody on these forums loves anime, but outside in the wide world, most people don't care about this stuff. They are interested in other things (mostly crap things, but I digress…). To like anime in North America is to be different (and that's a good thing).

Home video has always been responsible for a tiny amount of sales - nothing new there. DVD's are not cheap, and most fans just don't have that kind of money to spend. If you look at the broader home video market, for example, it has been in decline for a few years now. Even normal people don't like buying expensive video disks.

The industry will survive in some form to serve whatever interest remains here.
niclic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sad to see Evangelion 1.0 only earned a little over 100k theatrically.

The number is shocking and disappointing, but I'm hardly surprised. I remember going to see Evangelion 1.0 at Cineplex Odeon at the Sheppard Centre in North York. Expecting it to be packed, we arrived early. There ended up being no more than ten people there. I was very surprised, but it made me realize that even a big title like Eva does not have broad appeal. At least, watching a movie in a theater with Japanese subtitles has less appeal than the franchise in general.

Recently, there was a much larger crowd out to see Evangelion 2.0 in Oshawa, which was good to see.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I went to Blockbusters in Rio Hondo shoping center it used to have a fine and large anime section now there hardly any there as for Video Avenue only one store has a half way decent section of anime. Espiecally my favorite anime-18 is hard to find to rent I of late have had to use Hulu and Anime News Network,Cartoon Network,Disney Anime hyper,CW to watch any anime. The problem is if you look movies your hardly see R rated ones most are at most PG-13 only His Highness a comedy is R-rated it seems as if gore animation like Dead Space seem availabile. It's seems only mindless shoot em ups,gore and mindless comedies is what sells in America with the exceptioner tv of Fringe,The Event other shows tha are half way intelligent get ax as soon as possible as you say crap is what sells or what they want to sell and the vast public want to see. Sad
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
Hang on, do you guys know how to read statistics? Anime DVDs make a sliver of the anime market. Not only that but going by the numbers here the sales in 2003 (the peak year) was 316, in 2006 they hit 374 (all in millions). It now stands at 306. I'm not seeing an epidemic of fansubbing heavily affecting DVD sales here. Though the last year saw a weirdly high drop, but there certainly wasn't some huge increase in illegal downloading in 2010.

I think the more significant thing here is how important Goods are. That's where most of the decline is. DVD sales have declined by 20% or so before 2010, But Character goods by 1/2.

This would indicate to me that less people are interested in Anime.

Second graph

2009 = 306 million US dollars DVD sales
2010 = 200 million US dollars DVD sales

Quite a big drop.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
We have yet to see a major manga publisher fall.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-15/tokyopop-to-close-north-american-publishing-division
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
yamiangie wrote:
We have yet to see a major manga publisher fall.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-15/tokyopop-to-close-north-american-publishing-division

this is bad how? they have failed on so many levels of not keeping old properties and not adapting with the times, Shit happens, I used to love them but well if it's over it's over for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
And now, for "Deep Thoughts." Laughing

1. Just when you thought that the N.A. anime DVD market had bottomed out around $300M in 2009, it dropped another whopping $100M down to $200M in 2010. As they say, it's the economy, stupid. Sad

2. Meanwhile, the N.A. manga market hasn't seemed to bottom out yet, continuing its free fall, dropping all the way back to 2003 levels - that's a long time ago! Shocked

3. Both Top 10s in 2008-2009 have no moe crap yet. Laughing
Some surprises like Speed Racer: LE (2008) being that high and Resident Evil: Degeneration (2009) far and away almost doubled the first runner-up! Exclamation
Just goes to show that what's popular in the interwebs anime fandom doesn't necessarily translate to the stores. Confused

4. Geneon was the 3rd best N.A. anime company at around 13% yet still closed; shows how dire the industry.
Viz pretty much took over Geneon's portion together with FUNi, now comprise over half of the market.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Any thoughts on why the 2003 crash had a delayed effect on manga sales? I would have thought it would parallel video/merchandising sales (although it does looks like dvd sales have been steady throughout, more or less)
One thought is that there was no 2003 "crash" for purchases of entertainment, only a big drop in sales of merchandise.

Looking at the three year moving averages smooths out the regular ups and downs of any entertainment business. The final number is how for the current figure is above or below the three year moving average. "-" years are pulling the 3YMA down, "+" years are pulling the 3YMA up.

Just on combined VHS/DVD market, the figures are:
2001: $344m
2002: $415m
2003: $388m | 3YMA: $382m | +$6m
2004: $346m | 3YMA: $383m | (-$37m)
2005: $371m | 3YMA: $368m | +$3m
2006: $375m | 3YMA: $364m | +$11m
2007: $316m | 3YMA: $354m | (-$38m)
2008: $312m | 3YMA: $334m | (-$22m)
2009: $306m | 3YMA: $311m | (-$5m)
2010: $200m | 3YMA: $272m | (-$72m)

The 3YMA suggests that the real beginning of the current slide is 2007, in which case the slide in Manga only lags by one year.

Ushio wrote:
Wow sales go down as unemployment goes up shocker.
The biggest drops in employment in that period were 2008 and 2009, while the Year on Year declines were:

2003: (-$27m)
2004: (-$42m)
2007: (-$59m)
2008: (-$4m)
2009: (-$6m)
2010: (-$106m)

So it does not seem to be employment as such as the main driver.

configspace wrote:
Also with regards to population, it is not necessarily a bad thing as I mentioned in a previous post
Nothing in that post addreses the impact of declining population and an inverted demographic age pyramid as commercial factors in the success of a media that has been dependent on youth cohorts for new audience.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
ajr wrote:
One thought is that there was no 2003 "crash" for purchases of entertainment, only a big drop in sales of merchandise.

Looking at the three year moving averages smooths out the regular ups and downs of any entertainment business. The final number is how for the current figure is above or below the three year moving average. "-" years are pulling the 3YMA down, "+" years are pulling the 3YMA up.

Just on combined VHS/DVD market, the figures are:
2001: $344m
2002: $415m
2003: $388m | 3YMA: $382m | +$6m
2004: $346m | 3YMA: $383m | (-$37m)
2005: $371m | 3YMA: $368m | +$3m
2006: $375m | 3YMA: $364m | +$11m
2007: $316m | 3YMA: $354m | (-$38m)
2008: $312m | 3YMA: $334m | (-$22m)
2009: $306m | 3YMA: $311m | (-$5m)
2010: $200m | 3YMA: $272m | (-$72m)

The 3YMA suggests that the real beginning of the current slide is 2007, in which case the slide in Manga only lags by one year.

i am just asking but what about buying digital copies from the psn, xbox live, zune and ituens? also what about blu ray sales as well? I still buy dvd's like no other becasue i have an upscale player to get near hd quailty and I rip my dvds that I own to put on my itouch or ipad but hmmm, I think they need to start with more of those sales as well. Funi is going a great job so far and if they keep it up my wallet is alwasy going to be empty lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
i am just asking but what about buying digital copies from the psn, xbox live, zune and ituens? also what about blu ray sales as well?
Those all count. I'd wonder whether they include BD in the DVD figures, since I assume they'd be tracked with the same sources of information.

The digital certainly wouldn't have accounted for $1m total in 2009, but along with streaming site subscription income, they'd be the only growing part of the market, and there was clearly room to hope they could grow to fill the kind of Year-on-Year drops in physical media sales showing up in 2008 and 2009.

I don't know of any information to suggest they are going to be able to fill the kind of drop in 2010.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
i am just asking but what about buying digital copies from the psn, xbox live, zune and ituens? also what about blu ray sales as well?
Those all count. I'd wonder whether they include BD in the DVD figures, since I assume they'd be tracked with the same sources of information.

The digital certainly wouldn't have accounted for $1m total in 2009, but along with streaming site subscription income, they'd be the only growing part of the market, and there was clearly room to hope they could grow to fill the kind of Year-on-Year drops in physical media sales showing up in 2008 and 2009.

I don't know of any information to suggest they are going to be able to fill the kind of drop in 2010.

true enough but i think with cr, ann and anime network's subscriptions it helps and every bit helps in the end after all but hmm there is still a big market for dvd's and blurays due to the fact that some people like me like to share their hobby. I just want to see where this is going to head is all.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Most of the character goods are from Pokemon, you remove pokemon and the character goods are down by more than half. The average anime fan isn't going to buy body pillows. You're making the same mistake bandai visual made which was expecting that you can easily make money by simply using business models aimed at the japanese.

You realize that 40% (taking out Pokemon) of $2.420 Billion is still a lot more than the $306 Million DVD/BD makes, right? It's about 3x as much, actually. Why you're even excluding Pokemon is beyond me since anime is anime, but when you do, Character Goods still kicks Home Entertainment's ass.

And you do realize character goods are a lot more than body pillows, right? Please tell me you're not forgetting plushies, keychains, and figures. It doesn't take an otaku to buy a $30 nendoroid of their favorite character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6