• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Close North American Publishing Division

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, I checked rightstuf and Gakuen Heaven: Shichijo and Junjo Romantica volume 13 have been removed. Guess BLU is shutting down as well.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame to see this happen to Tokyopop,there go my chances of completing my Elemental Gelade manga fix,as I love the manga version more so than the anime. hopely Kodansha USA manages to save Elemental gelade along with Fruits basket. Sad

I am however glad that two of my fav shoujo Clamp titles Cardcaptor Sakura and Magic Knight Rayearth were saved just in time by Dark Horse Comics/Manga before Tokyopop shutted as they have already lost the licensed to both those manga[/b]
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope that Dark Horse, Kodansha USA, Seven Seas Entertainment, or Yen Press (especially) can rescue the remaining volumes (and titles such as The Sacred Blacksmith, Kampfer, etc.) from TokyoPop.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
There's not enough money to go around saving all the titles. Confused
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
There's not enough money to go around saving all the titles. Confused
If there has to be triage on the rescue operation, Aria's the one I hope to see rescued.

I hear the finale of America's Greatest Otaku is round about now. I can just imagine the surprise grand prize for being America's Greatest Otaku: "You win Tokyopop{disclaimer}!"

{Disclaimer: needs work to run}
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
I shall weep exactly zero tears for TP. Smile I do hope that one day there will be a decent release of Fruits Basket in the US.

I mean hell, Chuang Yi's release runs several laps over TP's localisation, and I mean that with no hyperbole whatsoever.
animeandshakespeare

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
I want to scream!

With every fiber of my being!

From the bottom of my soul!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Pedro's tears are flowing like twin waterfalls!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
I shall weep exactly zero tears for TP. Smile I do hope that one day there will be a decent release of Fruits Basket in the US.

I mean hell, Chuang Yi's release runs several laps over TP's localisation, and I mean that with no hyperbole whatsoever.
as someone who imported that version I can completely agree that's not hyperbole. after reading a comparison of that and Tokyopop's versions to the Japanese version, and figuring in how far ahead of Tokyopop they were releasing it I wound up importing that when I decided to start collecting it again (after giving what I had before to my nieces for Christmas because I'd gotten laid off that year and virtually no gift budget). they were way worth the extra cost of importing them!
mischeivious_lil_kitsune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh no! I still haven't even finish buying all of Love Hina and Chobits yet! What's going to happen to those? Am I going to have to buy those before it's gone? Oh geez I hope someone picks up a lot of titles!
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The blogger dude has a point. Why a shut down instead of a sellout?

I was only collecting Battle Vixens and Fate/Stay Night from Tokyopop. The time gap between releases made buying into other manga unappealing.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
mischeivious_lil_kitsune wrote:
Oh no! I still haven't even finish buying all of Love Hina and Chobits yet! What's going to happen to those? Am I going to have to buy those before it's gone? Oh geez I hope someone picks up a lot of titles!
buy the Chobits omnibus version that Dark Horse is releasing, and Kodansha USA is going to start releasing omnibus versions of Love Hina.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
The blogger dude has a point. Why a shut down instead of a sellout?

I was only collecting Battle Vixens and Fate/Stay Night from Tokyopop. The time gap between releases made buying into other manga unappealing.

In complete seriousness, although I'd try to find any other means (and exhaust them to their limit) but if what I owed was a vast and I mean vast amount, I probably would have forced to do the same as Stu. Considering Stu wanted out of the manga industry completely, selling Tokyo Pop wouldn't have likely* brought in enough payments to settle all money Tokyo Pop owes to various companies and also likely, loan collectors.

By no means am I defending Stu (remember Aion, yeah that book also cancelled as well and I was in the process of collecting that series) but ultimately the choice of selling or shutting was Stu's choice and no one else's.

But what is done is done. Tokyo Pop (the North American branch) is shut down for good and there is nothing that can change that fact. There is a chance that some series may be saved, but ultimately, not all of them. The ongoing series that sold well have a better chance of being picked up than the series that sold poorly.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
And so the manga industry now takes a huge blow. It's going to take a decade at the least to rescue everything, but I doubt everything will be rescued.

Sure they weren't all that great of a publisher, but they greatly helped the manga industry, even when they were dying.

Man, so many series I never got to buy that I wanted to try that are now going out of print. The only for sure saves are big hits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
As much as this sucks for the industry, I've been re-reading a lot of my manga lately, especially a lot of TP series, and I'm finding myself really astounded at how obviously bad the translations are (imho). Oh yes, they're definitely readable, but as my knowledge of Japanese culture, manga and anime have increased over the last 10+ years, I now notice how "freely" they translated the majority of series I bought from them. It makes me wonder why I didn't notice it until I compared "Battle Vixens" to Geneon's release of "Ikki Tousen" and wondered why these supposedly connected series seemed almost nothing alike.
I've pretty much stopped buying anything from them already, so I won't be sad to see them go, but I do feel for those last six people to lose their jobs.
At least they managed to get Priest finished and released. It looks promising and I'll definitely be seeing it, even if I never read the manhwa.
mjharper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
Don't know whether it's been covered anywhere in this massive thread, but does anyone actually know what implications the German branch staying open will have on English-speaking translations?

A lot of people have mentioned Aria, for example, and Tokyopop Germany finished releasing that about a month ago (in rather spiffing 2in1 volumes, I might add) and are (hopefully) about to release Aqua. Clearly, they have the rights to the whole series - could they not produce an English print of the missing volumes? Even if limited to the (European) British market, this would at least give Americans the chance to import...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 25