• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Katanagatari, Arakawa Under the Bridge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
This wasn't the position you took regarding the $600 box set from Aniplex recently. In fact, you went out of your way to defend your position on why you feel it was a rip-off while stating a lower-priced version should be made available.

No, not really. You seem to be equating all highly priced releases with ripoffs. I don't think that's true at all. There's a difference between being expensive and being a ripoff. If I'm paying $60 for a half set and getting a really nice artbox and book with it, that's fine with me. I think the higher price is justified by it being a nicer collector's edition. So no, I don't consider these NIS releases ripoffs at all. It's just a premium release at a premium price.

The KnK release on the other hand...well sure, it was a nice collector's edition. At $400 though? That's just absurd. No matter how fancy, no way that price is justified. Clearly, they're just gouging people because they think they can. That is a ripoff. That's actually a big part of what frustrates me about the KnK release. I'd happily buy an expensive premium KnK release if they'd just charge a fair price. I actually like that premium edition business model. I just don't like that they take it way too far and try to gouge people just because it's a premium edition.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
Thanks to Blood+ and Takeyo for your input. I was curious as I've never purchased a NIS USA release except for games. Since this is a first for them extending their services to anime. While I'm not really a dub fan (however I do watch dubs from time to time with family members and friends) I wanted to know how well the accuracy was. If there's one thing I can't stand is shoddy subtitling. Not to mention useless localization that is often thrown in where it doesn't belong. Other than that I'm very much looking forward to this set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8