• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Katanagatari, Arakawa Under the Bridge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I wonder if Arakawa will be dubbed? Well even if it's not, the fact NIS licensed the series, made it into Blu-Ray form and has bonuses makes me want it anyway.

Then again, I absolutely enjoyed every second of the first season, so it's I like this series either way. Would really like a dub, but the fact it's available on Blu-Ray makes it worth buying. Plus the bonuses it comes with.

Got to hand it to you NIS, you might have dropped the ball with Toradora, but the fact you licensed Arakawa and put in Blu-Ray is awesome. I've also been buying NIS games for several years (probably over a decade now) so this is great news.

But I still wonder, will either series be dubbed? I read the article about four times and it wasn't mentioned.

Its not mentioned in the article, but according to the product information on NISA's website they'll both be sub-only.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Katanagatari got licensed?! Sweet succulent awesome sauce! Definitely will be buying that series.

Don't really care for Arakawa but happy for those who do like this series. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I would prefer these shows to be dubbed, but given the state of the anime business right now, I'm willing to deal. After hearing about Tokyopop it's nice to end the day on a high note with some new acquisitions
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see NIS licensing more titles now that their current range is finished. Katanagari's box looks so pretty! Definitely have to get that.
Not sure what to make of Combopacks yet- guess I could loan the blurays to friends w/players or save em for when I get a bluray machine sometime in the future? Though the fact that they're around the same price as just-dvd boxsets makes it perfectly fine.
Scormio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I loved Katanagatari, but I don't think I can watch it again...I got too depressed after watching it >.>
Cecilthedarkknight_234

good job nisa for picking up these shows I will be getting one at least so good job, also a bluray/dvd combo? NICE very nice i love their artbooks as well, this just made my day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silencer226

I thought they'd get into Blu-ray eventually but not this soon. I haven't seen either anime, but I'm digging the art on the Katanagatari box.
Big Hed

Go NISA! You guys just made July a really big month for me. Very Happy

I only wish we could get away from those combo-packs, but it's just a case of later rather than sooner.
doctordoom85

Nice, some sweet licenses this week, and with AB/Sakura-con next weekend, we should expect even more! Smile
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Sigh I dont have Blu-Ray and Katanagatari was just so good to
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
This was probably for the best that Katanagatari was acquired by NIS America and will most likely be sub-only at that. I really like dubs and I personally think an english track for that show would be fine, but I somehow can't imagine any anime adpatation of a novel done by NisiOisin to bode well among fans of the show due to the dialogue in those shows. Especially an adaptation that takes place in Japan and is somewhat of a deconstruction of action/adventure stories. My point is that dub or not, Katanagatari as a show would be a bit too niche to sell outside of fans of the show who also happen to be DVD collectors.

I do hope to get it though and pretty sure my friend would hope to get it as well (and likely beat me to the punch).
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
A thought occurred when looking at the NISA site: Katanagatari had a different ED theme for each episode, but the extras for the first volume list, "clean opening and ending," singular. Will all the insanity involved in Japanese media licensing, part of me wonders whether NISA was able to get/afford the rights to all the songs. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if not, but clarification might be nice.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Watched both through fansubs so these are going to be on my buy list. Never would have thought depressing Katanagatari would get licensed before upbeat and fun Bakemonogatari. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Katana (don't let the bright colors fool you, it's something of a heartbreaker), but Bake seems more accessible.

Never thought anyone would license a show so random and over the top like Arakawa. Nice to see NISA is willing to do bizarre niche titles like this.

Emerje
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Katanagatari looks really gorgeous, I'mma have to check it out. Cool
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh I don't have Blu-Ray and Katanagatari was just so good to

Well since it's a combo release, that won't be an issue. You'll have it on DVD until you can get a BD player.

Come to think of it, this is the first Nisioisin work brought over here isn't it? Here's hoping there's more to come!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8