• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Katanagatari, Arakawa Under the Bridge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
ARAKAWA ARAKAWA ARAKAWA ARAKAWA

hngh best day ever ♥

Captured my initial reaction perfectly. <3
ARAKAWA~.
Thank you NIS America.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
Hmm, just noticed the names NISA is using for Arakawa. After two seasons of fansubs it's going to take a while to get used to seeing the Mayor translated as the "Chief" and Star left untranslated as "Hoshi". Annoying, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Hey, now that they're doing BDs I wonder what the chances of previous releases like Toradora! getting a BD release is?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
We here will wait till they complete the series first with hybrid discs. We're tired of getting burned. Wink
xstylus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Dammit. Just, dammit all. I hate NIS, so much. With Sentai Filmworks getting back into the dubbing scene they're like the only holdout of distributors releasing major series with no dub.

I've said it before: No dub, no buy.

If it's priced accordingly, that's not a dealbreaker for me. However, NIS products are at the same price point as shows with a dub. That I have a huge problem with. NIS products are priced about 35% above the typical market price for a dubless show.
NGK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:

If it's priced accordingly, that's not a dealbreaker for me. However, NIS products are at the same price point as shows with a dub. That I have a huge problem with. NIS products are priced about 35% above the typical market price for a dubless show.

looks like NIS is not "cutting corners" properly like FUNi et al Laughing
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I wonder if Arakawa will be dubbed? Well even if it's not, the fact NIS licensed the series, made it into Blu-Ray form and has bonuses makes me want it anyway.

Then again, I absolutely enjoyed every second of the first season, so it's I like this series either way. Would really like a dub, but the fact it's available on Blu-Ray makes it worth buying. Plus the bonuses it comes with.

Got to hand it to you NIS, you might have dropped the ball with Toradora, but the fact you licensed Arakawa and put in Blu-Ray is awesome. I've also been buying NIS games for several years (probably over a decade now) so this is great news.

But I still wonder, will either series be dubbed? I read the article about four times and it wasn't mentioned.

Its not mentioned in the article, but according to the product information on NISA's website they'll both be sub-only.

Thank you for the information. Very nice of you to provide such information. Certainly helps figuring out all the details.

But since I enjoyed Arakawa so much, I'll probably get it. In my opinion, it was the greatest off the wall slice of life comedy series I've seen in years.

Edit: I should say though, I am usually a English only fan usually, but the fact it's the first season of Arakawa, it's NIS licensing the series and the fact it's in Blu-ray is enough to persuade me to get it. Would I wanted a English dub? Yes, but since it's NIS, at least I know they aren't go to do this half heartrendingly or not take this seriously.

Been buying their games long enough to know that NIS takes their work very seriously and almost always do a exceptional job at it.

Last edited by Teriyaki Terrier on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
NGK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Sub-only BDs? You've got to be kidding...

I'm very disappointed, but I'll still get them anyways.

geez you sound like you're forced to buy

i guess there are some shows best left undubbed, especially when the subject matter and concepts are bit too oriental to convey in English.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Any chance you fine folks might get Bakemonogatari at some point? Wink

Or even Kaiba? I can picture them getting the series and releasing a very pretty box for it. God it would look so good on Blu-ray. ===D:

Kaiba has been licensed. Siren Visuals will be selling it in Australia and New Zealand. I'm assuming there's a R1 release as well.
Netstryke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:

NISA doesn't got the money of say Funimation to dub anything right now. Maybe in a few years they might be able to do some dubs on a limited basis.

While I haven't seen either of these shows, it is good for the fans of these shows to be able to have a legal release of the shows they are fans of.

Both statements have value.

Problem is (IMO) that a series like Arakawa under the Bridge would translate very well into english (same sytch with Toradora but I digress) but waiting for NIS America to "pull the trigger" on "The Right Property" to dub is what's keeping the company far back of the licensing pack and thus get the reaction it's getting.
Hardcore sub fans love it, Dual Audio fans groan over it and once another good title will suffer at the hand of the great North American sub/dud war.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote
As a diehard dub fan, I'm actually very OK with the idea of sub-only BD. I would totally buy sub-only BDs, though they'd still be low priority to dubbed shows.

However, I am not OK with NISA's absurd packaging. I'll just wait for regular editions in a few years, which sounds weird coming from me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iridescent_Fall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:40 am Reply with quote
Nice! Very Happy I'll definitely be picking up both titles! I have a love-hate relationship with the NISA cases though. On one hand the oversized art box looks beautiful. On the other, it's so difficult to display on smaller shelves!

Also, I am perfectly fine about it being sub only. Razz Maybe if the dub-only buyers would pick up these sets, they could support future dubbing efforts. Not only that, but I'm sure NISA would more readily listen to actual customer suggestions (ie. wanting a dub) than stubborn forum posts.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
Netstryke wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:

NISA doesn't got the money of say Funimation to dub anything right now. Maybe in a few years they might be able to do some dubs on a limited basis.

While I haven't seen either of these shows, it is good for the fans of these shows to be able to have a legal release of the shows they are fans of.

Both statements have value.

Problem is (IMO) that a series like Arakawa under the Bridge would translate very well into english (same sytch with Toradora but I digress) but waiting for NIS America to "pull the trigger" on "The Right Property" to dub is what's keeping the company far back of the licensing pack and thus get the reaction it's getting.
Hardcore sub fans love it, Dual Audio fans groan over it and once another good title will suffer at the hand of the great North American sub/dud war.

I mean Toradora could do well with a dub, of course that doesn't mean that NISA would go back and dub it later, or at least dub a show that they license in the future.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Hmm, just noticed the names NISA is using for Arakawa. After two seasons of fansubs it's going to take a while to get used to seeing the Mayor translated as the "Chief" and Star left untranslated as "Hoshi". Annoying, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Looking at the Katanagatari page, the only things that stand out to me (aside from NISA's insistence on removing all double vowels from character names) are that Hitei-hime was given a literal translation of Princess Denial and the Deviant Blades (Hentaitou, weren't they?) will now be called Klesha Bringers, which, um, feels a little off. Confused

Quote:
Hey, now that they're doing BDs I wonder what the chances of previous releases like Toradora! getting a BD release is?

I wouldn't say no to them if they were made available, but I'm pretty sure ToraDora! was only released on DVD in Japan. Either way, I'm curious to see if NISA follows through on its, "regular edition."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Just checked - I'm a little disappointed that the Katanagatari set is only the first six episodes. Each episode is about 50 minutes long, so it makes sense, I guess. I suppose the upside is that means there will be two artbooks for the series. Considering how delighted I am that this is coming out and getting the classy NISA treatment, I almost feel a little guilty minorly bitching about not getting the complete series right off the bat.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
What great news! I never thought Arakawa would get licensed. Woo hoo!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8