• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of Evangelion: No one understands it (and no you don't)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:42 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

Exactly.

camelot187757, I've written enough on Eva on these boards over the time I've been posting here to account for a thesis paper, at the very least. I don't really feel much like recounting it all yet again, unless I must. If you have specific parts (occurences) of(in) EoE that you would like explained, I would be happy to do so to the best of my ability. I suppose the question I should ask you is, do you have any specific questions, as opposed to something along the lines of "WTF happened?"

LOL! I'm amazed how much people can differ in views but you must be the most extreme (from my perspective) I've met so far in discussing Evangelion. No offense though, just saying how funny it is.

Anyway, Evangelion isn't some work of Shakespeare where it's worth watching 6 times and going over and over again to find its "deeper meanings". That makes me laugh because I watched up till the last 2 episodes then decided the monologues weren't worth it, the characters were simply insane, and nothing made any logical sense. I gave my respect to its creator for watching till the last 2 episodes (I can't believe I could stand more than 5 but then again I was in between classes and I get bored easily) but it was shitty entertainment, end of torture, time to move on. You don't have to start dissecting it because you couldn't understand it after watching SIX TIMES. I understand your curiosity and your pursuit of true understanding of this anime (notice the sarcasm?) but SIX TIMES would qualify as an obsession in my view.

Well, I'm really bringing the Eva-lovers' wrath upon me but that's my 2 cents.

PS: Ghost in the Shell is more thought-provoking than Evangelion. Loved the 2nd GIG.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
No offense though, just saying how funny it is.

It's not funny in the least. I don't proclaim there is some huge deep meaning to the series, I was simply offering to help camelot187757 understand what was going on during various parts of the series, and only as it related to in the series.

Azathrael wrote:
Anyway, Evangelion isn't some work of Shakespeare

You're right, it's not Shakespeare, but it's also not quite as shallow as you seem to believe it is. People I'm quite certain will search for a deeper meaning in every part of it, but there is an unmistakable use of religious symbolism in the series, which happens to be quite well thought out and placed, if you know anything about the religions it's drawing off of. There are elements to it that seem perhaps irrelevant to some, that actually happen to be a part of the religious element. That sort of thing happens to interest me and I enjoying learning and talking about such things. If that's not your bag, so be it, but I don't consider the things I spend my time on funny. It's also not as if I spend some large portion of my life, or even any real portion of even a day pondering the 'deeper meanings' of Eva.

As for watching it SIX TIMES, no I haven't. I've watched the entire series 3 times going back to when the original DVD release came out, and I've watched the movies probably 3 times.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I'll thank you not to presume to tell me what I am 'obsessed' with simply because I offer to help someone else better understand specific events.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
That makes me laugh because I watched up till the last 2 episodes then decided the monologues weren't worth it, the characters were simply insane, and nothing made any logical sense. I gave my respect to its creator for watching till the last 2 episodes (I can't believe I could stand more than 5 but then again I was in between classes and I get bored easily) but it was shitty entertainment, end of torture, time to move on.

PS: Ghost in the Shell is more thought-provoking than Evangelion. Loved the 2nd GIG.

Exactly how did the characters go insane? The only one who comes close to that is Auska but that is after several psychological beat downs. The last 2 episodes were introspective and exposed everyone. Every character got to see the darkest sides of the others because there were no walls, and that's why the characters had the reactions that they did. I wouldn't call it insane. Just as an example (just in case) spoiler[Shinji knew Misato wasn't exactly an ideal lady but he didn't know about her promiscuity with Kaji. So seeing her "like that" with Kaji would be kind of a shock. Misato even says "I didn't want you to see me like this." or something along those lines.] That's just the first example that comes to mind but I would hardly call those episodes a waste of time and they actually did make sense. The last 2 episodes were just a big character study. I wouldn't call it shitty entertainment either. Granted everyone is entitled to their own opinion but even if you didn't care for it 'shitty' is a pretty extreme and undeserved label in my opinion.

As far as Ghost In The Shell, I also enjoy the title very much but I'd like to know how it is more thought provoking (especially if you think the episodes themselves are) than Eva especially if you're referring to the series. I really like the GitS vision of the future and yes it does bring up some interesting thoughts but I don't see people talking very much about the 'deeper meanings' or underlying themes of GitS very much while Eva is constantly brought up time and again. Even after all this time Eva still generates a lot of discussion and I just don't see that with GitS so I would like to know where 'more thought provoking' comes from.[/quote]
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
- Shinji represents anime fandom
- Asuka represents the "traditional" anime heroine
- Rei represents the anti-heroine, which until Eva, didn't really exist
(snip)
Oh, and don't listen to anything Carl Horn tries to tell you about Eva.

Why not? Why should we listen to you? Horn engages Eva in its multifaceted complexity and encourages further engagement at all levels. You insist on a procrustian simplistic allegorical key to the series and reject any further engagement. Horn may not be right across the board, but he's got the right idea about how to engage Eva.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
LOL! I'm amazed how much people can differ in views
It is my opinion that Anno probably intended people to differ in views. Why else would he create such a weird ending?
Azathrael wrote:
Anyway, Evangelion isn't some work of Shakespeare where it's worth watching 6 times and going over and over again to find its "deeper meanings".
Shakespeare's "deepness" is overrated. I don't know how he becomes such a "deep writing" symbol for the masses as you've willingly demonstrated by your allusion to him. He wrote to appeal for the masses of his time and wasn't trying to be John Milton at all. His works have many values (especially historical) but they certainly weren't that deep to begin with.
Azathrael wrote:
but it was shitty entertainment
Obviously you are in the minority, and an extreme minority yourself. Saying things you don't like "shitty" is very self-righteous.
Azathrael wrote:
You did it to yourself. Wink
Azathrael wrote:
Some would disagree with you, and they'd say the characters simply don't do anything but spill quotes after quotes of philosophical writings in a messy way for no point whatsoever.

But I like Ghost in the Shell and didn't say that. Razz

For myself, I like EoE and hate the last two episodes of the series, which seems to me sloppiness/lack of effort/unfortunate condition in the studio more than innovative thinking. Sure, should episode 25 alone take this route and revert back to "normal" in episode 26 the pacing would be perfect, and people would probably appreciate episode 25 like the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex episode "Chat! Chat! Chat!", but two episodes are too much, especially as the ending.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
I have a few more thoughts on this... Any attempt to reduce Eva to the complexity of a simple tract is doomed to failure because, as anyone can tell just by watching it, Eva is more complex than a tract. It's best to accept Eva in all its messy complexity, just like real life. Eva was created on the fly, and semi-improvisational stories tend to grow in all directions, so it's not really possible to treat it as if it all ties up into a neat little package if you just fold it right. It seems to me that Eva is in large part the product of Anno's struggle between two influences in his life. One the one hand there's the pop-culture fantasyland that provides a variety of ersatz experiences without ever having to engage reality; on the other hand there's real life and the kind of art that tries to engage or reflect the complexity of real life. Eva is an uneasy fusion of the two. How could such a blend be easy to summarize?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
camelot187757 wrote:
(thank God because [as] aint doin it any justice)

Er...how so? Running it at a decent time with minimal edits isn't doing it justice?

I meant that I wish that [as] had at least switched places with the boondocks and Eva so that we could see it earlier. Yea I guess i see what your sayin about the mininmal edits too but we haven't really come to the episodes that may change the rating from PG to MA if you get me.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:

For myself, I like EoE and hate the last two episodes of the series, which seems to me sloppiness/lack of effort/unfortunate condition in the studio more than innovative thinking. Sure, should episode 25 alone take this route and revert back to "normal" in episode 26 the pacing would be perfect, and people would probably appreciate episode 25 like the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex episode "Chat! Chat! Chat!", but two episodes are too much, especially as the ending.

I wouldn't really say that since the I read somewhere that the whole point of EoE was to give justice to the fans because the creator even knew that waking up from a dream just wasn't cuttin it ini terms of quality entertainment
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Any attempt to reduce Eva to the complexity of a simple tract is doomed to failure because, as anyone can tell just by watching it, Eva is more complex than a tract. It's best to accept Eva in all its messy complexity, just like real life. ... it's not really possible to treat it as if it all ties up into a neat little package if you just fold it right.

Impossible man. To watch it it all unfold and then to watch the ending and take it at face vaule as flashing lights and chuck load of violence aint right to the creator.

We all know that there's ass loads of symbolism (that i don't really care for; symbolism is all subjective and only occurs to the guy who sees it.) However by disregarding symbolism and instead breaking it down as it occurs could probably suit the watcher better than trying to figure out the sybolism behind jacking off to a chick in comatose. (Whoever wrote that had me seriously laughing my ass off and i don't mean that to bash). I was just trying to see who can see the movie better than I do/can because when i watch it i can't help but go WTF about 3 or 4 times a minute. But i guess people must have it even worse if they can somehow explain why Shinji beat his d*ck off and what it means to the subconcious or whatever. Man i can't stand that movie sometimes...
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
We all know that there's ass loads of symbolism (that i don't really care for; symbolism is all subjective and only occurs to the guy who sees it.) However by disregarding symbolism and instead breaking it down as it occurs could probably suit the watcher better than trying to figure out the sybolism behind jacking off to a chick in comatose. (Whoever wrote that had me seriously laughing my ass off and i don't mean that to bash). I was just trying to see who can see the movie better than I do/can because when i watch it i can't help but go WTF about 3 or 4 times a minute. But i guess people must have it even worse if they can somehow explain why Shinji beat his d*ck off and what it means to the subconcious or whatever. Man i can't stand that movie sometimes...

I'm not sure how much "symbolism" was behind it, other than the theory of it being Anno's bash of otakus, but I had always thought (and thought it was the general consensus that) that scene existed mainly for two purposes: one, to show Shinji's mental state and how low he had really sunk, and two, to show you early on that this was going to be a darker, more disturbing movie. Laughing at it is a really immature way to react, in my opinion.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Azathrael wrote:
LOL! I'm amazed how much people can differ in views
It is my opinion that Anno probably intended people to differ in views. Why else would he create such a weird ending?
Because by that time he was out of money, out of time, out of amitriptaline and so totally bonkers? Wink
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
camelot187757 wrote:

I'm not sure how much "symbolism" was behind it, other than the theory of it being Anno's bash of otakus, but I had always thought (and thought it was the general consensus that) that scene existed mainly for two purposes: one, to show Shinji's mental state and how low he had really sunk, and two, to show you early on that this was going to be a darker, more disturbing movie. Laughing at it is a really immature way to react, in my opinion.

Whoa buddy check your pride hitpoints man.
I didn't (nor have ever) laughed at the scene of Shinji stroking his manhood over Asuka; first time i saw that i was like man its messed up the he "loves" Asuka so much or whatever to the point that he would even please himself just because she's lying there naked. In the movie itself Asuka was like "i heard all about your little jack off fantasies about me, I'll even watch you do it right now".

I was laughing at the fact that someone saw something i had missed the 4 or 5 times I have watched the movie and that there was/is symbolism in mastubating apparently (in the EoE movie anyway...) SO..
To call me immature for laughing at you or whoever wrote that post i feel is just slightly childisn man. I got what you said but i think you took it way too personally duke. Chill...
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
Whoa buddy check your pride hitpoints man.

PRIDE HP: 12/50
EXP. UNTIL LEVEL UP: 127

camelot187757 wrote:
To call me immature for laughing at you or whoever wrote that post i feel is just slightly childisn man. I got what you said but i think you took it way too personally duke. Chill...

Sorry, I didn't really mean to sound too proud there or "take it personally," I just think that whoever was bursting out laughing at that scene really missed the point. I still do think it would be kind of immature to laugh at it, but I admit that I've laughed at things like that before when it wasn't intended to be funny.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I still say one the script writer knows wtf was going on.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I still say one the script writer knows wtf was going on.
Script writer? Looked more adlib to me. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3