• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli Museum to Unveil Adult-Sized Catbus in June

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Sounds really cool!

Hopefully someday I can go & visit the museum in person.

I bet a couple of adults have "snuck" into the kids catbus...

BTW isn't the kids area where you can find a "secret" stairway to the roof with those cool Castle in the Sky robot statues?

I heard it is really tiny and almost impossible for a normal adult to climb up...
sharonlover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
don't know about a 'secret staircase' but I know when I went, there was a tiny spiral staircase that went between floors that was very small and cramped Razz maybe it was just for kids.....but I went up it anyway. It's a really awesome place Smile And an adult sized catbus would be AWESOME!
niclic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I visited the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, back in 2009. It was magical. This news means I will definitely be going back next year. I remember crawling up that tiny spiral staircase that went between floors. You are right - probably meant for kids only, but of course, I'm going up.

Razz

There is an external spiral staircase too that leads to the roof and the Laputa robot. You can see some good pictures that somebody posted here:
Ghibli Museum, Mitaka

Can't wait to go back and see the new exhibits!
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
niclic wrote:
I visited the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, back in 2009. It was magical. This news means I will definitely be going back next year. I remember crawling up that tiny spiral staircase that went between floors. You are right - probably meant for kids only, but of course, I'm going up.

Razz

There is an external spiral staircase too that leads to the roof and the Laputa robot. You can see some good pictures that somebody posted here:
Ghibli Museum, Mitaka

Can't wait to go back and see the new exhibits!

I went to the Ghibili Museum in 2009 as well. It is indeed a magical adventure there! With this news, I'll definitely be visiting the Museum again next time I visit Japan!
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I had tickets to visit the museum the first time I went to Japan, but given my schedule I figured it'd be bad timing to go. Wotta mistake! Laughing Oh well! Maybe next time I can nap in the catbus.

Given these gradual add-ons, I wonder if they'll be considering some sort of Ghibli-land or Ghibli-world eventually. Shocked Y'know, escape the paper birds on Haku's dragon-coaster ride of horror, or soar in Porco Rosso's biplane ride, or take photos with Totoro and his forest friends, that kinda thing. Somehow it feels more corrupt in a capitalistic sense than a peaceful museum, but I bet people would still go see it.
chichiri_chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
This is really exciting news. I've gone to the museum a couple of times, but wasn't planning on going again since I'd already seen everything. Now that there's a Neko Bus I can actually go in, I think I'm gonna have to drop by there again. Anime smile
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I WANT TEH CATBUS!!!!!!
LilyChan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Love this idea! This only gives me more of an incentive to go! :O
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Lol, was that spiral staircase only for kids? It was a tight fit and tough to go up, but I did it anyway Smile
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm 5'1 wonder if i could squeeze up that stairway. I want to sit in the catbus size be damned
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
DOOOOOO WAAAANT!!!
It's too bad that this won't be a permanent exhibit....I probably won't be going to Japan within the next 2 years, and I would really like to see this....
javeska

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote
I so need to go to Japan to do research for my novel!
magnetic_rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
There is a second existing catbus in Tokyo which adults can enter, located at Donguri Republic in Odaiba's Palette Town.

However this particular catbus is in poor condition compared to its Ghibli Museum sibling Sad

Also - sharing more Ghibli Museum pics (plus tips on how to get tickets) here Smile
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
^ Awww.. Poor Catbus. :0

I went to the Ghibli Museum in 2004. I was kind of disappointed that there was no adult size Catbus, but that's alright. The experience, itself, was worth it all. Now, they finally made an adult size Catbus! ^_____^ Wish this exhibit was permanent though.

(Although, probably the real disappointment at that time was in the Ghibli theater. They were showing the Pixar short "Boundin' Sheep", while The Incredibles was in the movie theaters outside of Japan.)

Anyways, to anyone going, enjoy!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1