• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top Movies in Japan in 2005

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Something seems wrong with this chart . .

I remember last year's chart went something like
1. Howl
2. SekaChu
3. Ima Ai

Ima Ai came out in October and *I think* it ended its run in January, so I don't think it could've made it to #5. Unless this is a November 2004 to November 2005 list . . that would explain Harry Potter 4 missing. :)

hrtrunks wrote:
Yup, really strange about the second Naruto movie. I heard it was much better than the first one.

I fell asleep at the movie, and I've never fallen asleep during a movie before. It was that bad -- even though the first was not much better, I stayed awake. And I don't think it had much staying power as the first, so maybe a lot of fans agreed, too?

tempest wrote:

Again, let me remind you that the average Japanese person spends less on movies than the Average american (I'm certain that if you search for it you can find the stats, I'd do it but I'm occupied, maybe later this week).

While that's true, I always wondered . . with the standard Japanese ticket price of 1800 yen, almost twice that of an American ticket, and the fact that there's far fewer movies showing at one time than in the West, shouldn't there still be more movies breaking pass the equiv. of $40M?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
hrtrunks wrote:
But... there are two things that i just can't understand. First thing is, Naruto movie 2. The first Naruto movie was on the top 20 Japanese movies in 2004, but i heard that the second movie was much better, but didn't make it in the top 25 in 2005! HOW?

First movie screened during theheight of Naruto's popularity. Its still a popular chanchise, but not as popular as it was the year before.

Quote:
The second thing is the year 2001. Where is Cowboy Bebop: KOHD!? That movie also didn't make the top 20 Japanese movies in 2001! HOW?

It's a cartoon. Even in Japan, with the exception of Miyzaki, cartoons are not a big box office draw. Only a few anime make it into the top 10/20 every year.

-t
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Not bad when you take all that into consideration. ^^
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
tempest

But if you look at the official Eiren chart (i posted a link at the start of the topic) anime do make a big draw at the box office, ok not as big as live action, but the ratio of anime VS J-live action is just a bit on the side of live action. Plus all of the Miyazaki movies are way better on the box office than any live action, so it ain't that bad. Remember Spirited Away, $304 million?

But still i say, where are all the Japanese anime fans when Bebop was out? If Casshern made it in the top 20 in 2004, so should have Bebop in 2001...

The same thing goes for Evangelion, i heard (we all did) how Evangelion is popular in Japan. But where were all the fans when The Endo of Evangelion was showing? If you look at the chart in 1997 you'll that was in the 10th place overall. Either it wasn't that popular, not many fans went to see the movie insted they bought the DVD, or there are not as many anime fans as we thought...

Cheesemon

You said Naruto movie 2 was bad, too bad i like the first one, and it looks as even tho i heard it was better than the first one, it really wasn't, the box office just goes to show...

P.S. I see your "location" is Japan, Fukushima. Are you Japanese or are you just living there?
AgentTofu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
This chart hasn't been updated since... November?

The reason I say this is because Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire isn't listed. Right now, its past The Incredibles & War of the Worlds, and is set to take over Revenge of the Sith in Japan.

Interesting to note that Bayside Shakedown 3 wasn't the MASSIVE hit Bayside Shakedown 2 turned out to become. Constantine had a surprising run, and hopefully the NEXT Batman can reach the top 20 next time.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
Y'know, other movie I'm surprised isn't on that list is the FMA movie. I thought it was the best anime movie of the year, and the series had a lot of followers from all ages in Japan, so thought it'd be a shoe-in for the Top 20.

hrtrunks wrote:

You said Naruto movie 2 was bad, too bad i like the first one, and it looks as even tho i heard it was better than the first one, it really wasn't, the box office just goes to show...

P.S. I see your "location" is Japan, Fukushima. Are you Japanese or are you just living there?

Whoops, I forgot to update that. I was in Fukushima from 2003 to Aug 2005, but I'm back in Vancouver now. ^^

I'm not gonna go through another Naruto movie debate, so let's just say to each his own. If you did like the first movie, chances are you will enjoy the second one . . not much has changed besides the animation looking a little cheaper IMO.

AgentTofu wrote:

Interesting to note that Bayside Shakedown 3 wasn't the MASSIVE hit Bayside Shakedown 2 turned out to become. Constantine had a surprising run, and hopefully the NEXT Batman can reach the top 20 next time.

I think BS3 wasn't as big a hit as BS2 because it didn't star Yuji Oda, the main character of the BS series from the TV days. I heard some Japanese don't even consider it BS3, but just a BS spin-off. The Suspect Muroi Shinji is technically BS4, and as you can see, without Oda it didn't do that well either.

And yeah, I thought the same thing about Harry Potter. I think the Japanese will release an official list sometime later this month. I personally think that list might look something like this:
1. Star Wars 3
2. Harry Potter
3. Chocolate Factory
4. Howl
5. BS3
Flame-X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
What about Final Fantasy VII Advent Children? Crying or Very sad
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
It was released on DVD only. It wasn't shown in theatres.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:27 am Reply with quote
The MPAAJ just released their list of the top movies in Japan from Jan 05 to Dec 05 yesterday. Anyway, here ya go (thanks to "hrtrunks" for originally introducing me to this site!) . .

http://www.eiren.org/toukei/index.html

If you merge the two lists together, your top 20 of 2005 looks like this . .

[196] Howl's Moving Castle
[115] Harry Potter 4
[91] Star Wars 3
[60] War of the Worlds
[54] Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
[53] The Incredibles
[43] Pokemon AG: Mew
[42] The Phantom of the Opera
[42] Bayside Shakedown: Negotiator
[41] The Terminal
[40] NANA
[38] Bayside Shakedown: Suspect
[37] Densha Otoko
[36] Ocean's 12
[32] ALWAYS
[30] A Moment to Remember (KOREA)
[28] April Snow (KOREA)
[27] Constantine

Hm, without Miyazaki's help, this would not be a good year for domestic films in Japan. Rolling Eyes

Anime only . .
[196] Howl
[43] Pokemon
[21] Detective Conan
[13] Crayon Shinchan
[12.2] FMA
[12] One Piece
[11] Naruto

The series-based movies doing much the same as last year, except a BIG fall for One Piece which usually gets around 20 every year. Strange, I thought the 2005 movie was the best yet, albeit less kid-friendly. And FMA's low boxoffice still surprises me, I thought it had a bigger, stronger fanbase than that, plus a year of hype!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2