• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mature Anime (Not sexually speaking)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashts32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys. I was a big fan of anime growing up but havn't watched many recently, especially since now I find most of them to be too childish. There are still a few which I still find to be some of the best TV/movies produced - in any country live action or animated - due to their great depth of feeling, seriousness, and maturity. For example, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin OVA, Beck, and Grave of Fireflies are among my favorites. But so far, I am unable to find any new anime that has the same seriousness and maturity that those did - anime that doesn't have child-oriented characters or silly 'anime cliches'. Something geared towards mature adults. I want anime that I can really take seriously - it doesn't necessarily have to deal with serious topics, I just don't want it to be silly or childish or stupid, as I find most anime to be. If people still don't understand I can explain further, but for those who see where I'm coming from:

Basically, I was just wondering if anybody out there who feels the same way about anime as I do could suggest any good anime to me? Hopefully there are some other real gems out there that I have yet to see and you guys can suggest some! Thanks!!

*EDIT* Since i posted I found info on one called The Place Promised in Our Early Days (by the guy who made Voices of a Distant Star) and since I enjoyed Voices, this new one seems promising. Has anybody seen it?
Jeff78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Noir and Monster are two that are maturely toned but not maturely rated, but that doesn't much matter, since the only thing that really gives an anime a "mature" category is the amount of gore in violence or the explicitness of sex. Berserk is certainly mature in all aspects, however it would be best to get the manga instead of watching the anime.

If you havn't seen it, .hack//SIGN is probably close enough to what you are looking for, even though it isn't even rated for teenagers, the tone is serious enough for your consideration, and from what I see, that is what you are looking for, things with a complex story and for the most part non-comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lasco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Try Honey & Clover It follows the lives of college students, thats right not High School, College, and their problems with school, life, love. No giant robots, harems, 30 episode fights, etc.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
In the defence of Mecha Anime, I just that your try out :-
* Gundam 0083 - StarDust Memories
* Gundam O8MS Team

Unlike a lot of the other gundam series, they stir away from the snotty noised kid in a mecha theme.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I second Monster, it's a very good show.

Well there is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex which is definitely geared more twards adults with some heavy philosophical and psychological storylines. Characters-wise Section 09 is all adults though the Tachicomas may get on your nerves.

There's also Blood+ which does have a school girl for a main character but is definitely mature as well. It's a sequel series to Blood: The Last Vampire after all.

If you like Cowboy Bebop I suggest Samurai Champloo as it's made by the same people. It has a good sense of style and great characters.

X TV is also very dramatic and serious in nature. Unlike the film (which is crap) it also has a great cast of characters.
Fui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
To the OP: Your taste in Anime is right down my alley. I loved the Kenshin OVA, Beck, and Cowboy Bebop (about my #1s). Anyway, I usually don't like dark/violent animes but I found Elfen Lied to be quite captivating. If you can stand heads, legs, arms, and torsos being ripped/sliced off (I generally don't like this kind but found Elfen Lied to be an exception) then you should like this one. There is also moderate nudity but the majority isn't for mere perverted purposes but rather to "show it how it is" and not censor/hide things from the viewer. The protagonists might be drawn in "childish/typical anime style" but it somehow compliments the mysterious/dark storyline. Be warned though, it certainly isn't a "feel-good" anime but was very interesting.
maus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
vashts32 wrote:
*EDIT* Since i posted I found info on one called The Place Promised in Our Early Days (by the guy who made Voices of a Distant Star) and since I enjoyed Voices, this new one seems promising. Has anybody seen it?

Actually I have. It was a great movie. If you enjoyed 'Voices' you'll definately like this one. There's more action, more people, and more story than in 'Voices', And it looks just as beautiful as 'Voices'
patch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
vashts32 wrote:
...For example, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin OVA, Beck, and Grave of Fireflies are among my favorites. But so far, I am unable to find any new anime that has the same seriousness and maturity that those did...

If you liked Cowboy Bebop and the Kenshin OVA, you should definitely check out Samurai Champloo. Same director as Cowboy Bebop, so has a similar feel to it, just takes place in different setting with different musical style.
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
vashts32, dude I know what you mean.

Akira - This is a movie that questions ethics with power and how power can be used to do good and evil. It’s about a young teenager who has military experiments performed on him, which reveal his psychic powers and unleash a very formidable force.

Millennium Actress – It doesn’t really deal with topics too, too deep, however it does cover some ethics involving killing someone if they are questioned and don’t talk. It’s about a couple of documentary filmmakers who follow the story of an old actress’s tale about her career as an actress and her adventure in finding a shady character meets.

Jin Roh – A film that asks the question can man truly rise above the level of mere beast. It’s about a man who refuses to shoot a rebel who detonates a bomb in front him killing herself and as she haunts him in both his dreams and in the face of the girl’s sister and as his world comes crashing down around him he must struggle to decide what is real and what is right.

One show that is not technically anime but anime related is Aeon Flux. It’s a very bazaar and complicated story created by Peter Chung. It’s very mature and I cannot see a child able to watch it for many reasons. Not too many people like it because it is in a world of it’s own but I highly recommend it.

Also another one that is not anime but is manga, Blade of the Immortal. It is about a guy who used to work for the bad guys and killed 100 of the good guys. An old nun gives him worms that make him immortal be healing any wound on his body. His sister is killed in front of him by a band of thugs. He makes a deal with the nun so that if he kills 1000 of the bad guys he will loose his immortality and be able to see his sister again. Then a young girl’s parents are killed in front of her by the leader of the Itto-ryu (a martial arts school) and she seeks revenge. The two eventually meet together and go on a long journey together in order to see out their goals. It asks questions such as is revenge right?, at what cost does one finally become avenged? and should everyone seek revenge? It gives detail into every character including the bad guy, so he is not just some violent beast; he has character and reasoning behind him. With out a doubt it is the best manga I have ever read.
vashts32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys, I've looked into these suggestions and they really seem like what I'm looking for! I will definitely be looking into Monster, Place Prmised, Honey and Clover, Blood+, Jin Roh, and some of the others. Thanks for the help!!!
acceleratum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
I find myself bored with childish animes too thats why i rarely watch mechas or comedy anymore, i kinda leaned towards drama/romance lately bute still there are some popular animes that are nice without beign too childish, i recomend Great Teacher Onizuka aka GTO ,the main character is childish but its also incredibly strong as a man, its also a good transition to romance/drama animes if you like the little romance in the last episodes.
For romance/drama KGNE is prolly the best, it starts with high school girls falling in love but it shows the characters progression till adult age making it more realistic than the usual romance/drama.
For some fighting bleach is my favorite at the moment, similar style to naruto and dragonball but alot more serious, it does have alot of comedy but most on the beggining.
Twelve kingdoms is a fantasy anime with a interesting plot, should also be good for your tastes.
Together with the others recomended thats all i can remember now.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
Honey and Clover's great, and I definitely would consider it mature (since kids won't follow the plot very well), but it is kinda silly, alternating between drama and whimsy, so if that's not what you want, be aware. It's a mature romantic comedy, basically.

I would consider Full Metal lchemist to be a mature series, especially the latter half, and ESPECIALLY the movie.

I also second a lot of the listed series. I wish they'd have already made an anime of Deathnote so I could suggest that to you. Wink
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
Lets keep it simply Monster by far the best series I have ever had the chance to be a part of (Watching) and for that I can be very grateful. This is a show that make you remember why you watch anime, beautiful and realistic people with emotions and feelings like we expect. Music that brings out the best in the series, by far the best writing ever, many thanks to a very faithful manga which is amazing. All in all it wins as the anime of year 04-05. This show makes you glad that you tough it out through all the dbz,narturo, and other typical action anime that are a dime a dozen nowadays. Be glad, and scared that you have Monster.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
Wonderful Days - It's a korean animated movie. It's getting called Sky Blue in the west.

Earth is on the brink of extinction due to pollution and environmental disasters. In order to survive, humans create a shielded city called Ecoban that organically grows on its own, feeding on the earth¡¯s pollution. However, only a select few are allowed to live in the shielded city, leaving many to perish in the waste of the wilderness. Soon, there are reports that pollution levels are dropping, giving people hope that the entire Earth will once again be safe to live in. Conflicts arise after some city officials decide to continually pollute the earth so they can enjoy the prestige of living inside of Ecoban. Meanwhile, an intruder breaks into Ecoban as security frantically rushes to the scene of the crime. Jay, one of the leaders of the security unit, chases down the intruder only to find out that it¡¯s her first love, Suha. Previously assumed dead, Suha returns to Ecoban as a criminal, reminding Jay of his promise to her; that one day he will show her a blue sky, something that has been gone for too long. Now Jay feels torn between her long lost love and her civil duty as city security. Furthermore, Simon, the head of security and also in love with Jay, finds out about Suha¡¯s existence.

The orginal korean website is no longer up, however the english one is http://www.skybluethemovie.com/
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
I suggest if your into romance like I am.

Saikano, its got a bit of a silly premise, but the series is exceptionally powerful. I think you'll find most people who have seen it agree wholeheartedly that the ending either did or almost brought them to tears. It certainly did to me and I'm a 28yr old so its VERY well done.

Koi Kaze, it deals with a developing incestuous relationship, but its well written, powerful and above all doesn't get bogged down with the right or wrong part of it, it just tells how it could happen without telling us that its right or wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4