• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyouge Mono (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
I've wondered if we'll see a Japanese release of this show with English subtitles down the road. NHK specifically requested this show be removed from the listings at AS, which they haven't done with other shows of theirs. It's one series I might consider importing, though with 39 episodes and Japanese pricing, it could cost $1000. That's a bit rich for my blood, I'm afraid.

Episode six was spectacularly well-paced. We begin to see why Nobunaga chose Sasuke as his primary messenger; he has remarkable diplomatic skills. I'm really curious to see whether he's going to say anything to his wife about the events that transpired.

I was pretty upset with the pace of releases, too, but I've gotten over it. I've watched other shows like Mouryou no Hako that took forever to be completed. I'm sure this is one of the more difficult series to sub with its archaic language. The subbers are doing this while coping with the demands of school; I've decided to give them a break and just enjoy this show no matter how long it takes.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quote
Episodes 7 is now available via fansub. After the brilliance of the previous episode the drama is somewhat flat but it is setting the stage for a spectacular banquet for "milord" to be hosted by the apparent conspirators with Sasuke to assist with preparations (of the banquet, that is).

Six days between fansub releases. My (tea)cup runneth over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 is now available. It features the grand banquet hosted by Oda Nobunaga with Tokugawa Ieyasu and other generals as guests. Sasuke is responsible for the confections and serves up a dish that spoiler[insults Tokugawa who demands seppuku but for the intervention of Nobunaga].

As usual, Mashimo is being very po-faced. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Is Sasuke incompetent or too clever for his own good? I might be mixing up the identies of the generals. One of the problems with the series is remembering who everyone is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, seems they are speeding up with the subs! Yay, I might actually switch back to it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Is Sasuke incompetent or too clever for his own good? I might be mixing up the identies of the generals. One of the problems with the series is remembering who everyone is.

I have that problem as well. There are so many important characters, and many only appear from time to time.

I don't think Sasuke is incompetent at all, though being too clever for this own good sounds plausible. His ambition seems boundless, and now it's darkened by his fear that only Nobunaga's offspring will end up in positions of power and influence.

A commentator at AS makes the plausible argument that Nobunaga chose Sasuke for the job of sous-chef knowing he'd create some outlandish concoction that would anger Ieyasu. That interpretation fits with the earlier scene where Nobunaga comments about Ieyasu's socks. There's obviously an enormous cultural gulf between the two men, one seeing power as a means to surround one's self with luxury and art, the other seeing power as a means to help one's vassals. Ieyasu comes off as a "man of the people;" I doubt Nobunaga cares one whit about them. (I have no idea whether these portrayals have any historical accuracy, though Nobunaga is known for being an early adopter of European styles after the Portuguese landed, which the anime accurately depicts.)

I'm guessing Osen is still in the dark about the events that transpired in episode six; would she have obtained that suit of armor for Sasuke if she knew what he did? Perhaps she's just remarkably forgiving.

Given the sequence of events in episode eight, I fear for Sasuke's future after the assassination occurs.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
After a long gap, episode 9 is now viewable with fansubs. It culminates in quite a savage moment that doesn't quite match the historical record (although that record may not necessarily be accurate).

Thirty episodes to go and who knows what's going to happen to Sasuke?

I think it's the most sophisticated and subtle anime of recent times. I just wish I could watch the episodes closer together so I could follow it better.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
Given Siren Visual's recent licensing choices like Dennou Coil and Kuuchuu Buranko, I could imagine this series becoming available in R4. Sadly I'm almost certain it will never cross the Pacific. (I'll admit I thought the same about Oh! Edo Rocket and that did get licensed here by Funimation.) Siren's pricing is pretty reasonable, too; AU$50 for 13 episodes in the case of Dennou Coil. Too bad they don't make Blu-ray releases. Dennou Coil certainly deserves one as does Hyouge Mono. Are Blu-ray releases of movies also uncommon in Australia?

spoiler[I'm especially concerned as it appears that Sasuke's brother joined forces with Ieyasu. That will certainly strain Sasuke's loyalties, though it could be his salvation as well.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
Madman, which dominates the Australian market, appears to be releasing just about all its new stuff on both DVD and BD. So far, Siren Visual has only released Angel Beats! and Casshern Sins on BD. Don't ask me what's so special about Casshern Sins.

Siren is positioning itself as a "cult" or "alternative" brand. Although Hyouge Mono is a singular series I don't think it fits into those sorts of categories. I can always hope, though.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 is simply magnificent - spoiler[Oda Nobunaga's final tea ceremony] is both over-the-top and spellbinding.

Koichi Mashimo often overdoes the background music but he has been restrained thoughout the series. The absence of incidental music through most of the episode is stark and enhanced by the achingly sombre piano melody as Sasuke wanders the ruins of Honno Temple.

The way Sasuke conned Oda's brother, Nagamasu, (I'm still having trouble following who is who) into taking the largest and least valuable item, without making it explicit to the viewer, makes me wonder how much I've missed in the series.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
Hyouge Mono on BS Premium ended.
That reminded me of a paragraph from Kan'ya Chawa.

Kan'ya Chawa says:
Quote:
一 休居士橫難にあひし後は、休の一統絕て、いよいよ點茶衰へゆく程に、神君古田織部正をえらび給ひ、秀忠公の御師範とせらる、そのとき天が下やや平らぎぬれど、もろもろの心いまだおだやかならず、隔意もまた多し、大樹この爲に御心を用ひ給ひ、小座敷の茶に事をよせ、上下左右のむつましみをなさしめん事を思し召し、かつは氏有る人びとのさかしおろかをしろしめすたよりとし給ふ、この御本意を命じふくめ給へば、露地草菴の俤をうつし、心は時世の興に應ずるをむねとせり、休居士の時は、亂世素朴の趣にて、草菴のわび面白しなど思ひしも、すでに治世に成りて誰々も世の快樂には成りやすく、あくまで食し、あたたかに衣て、わびの興を好まず、故に古織も此處をゆるべ、かしこをまかする程に、草菴の意味大いにたがひ、露地の要路はるかにへだたりぬ、後小堀遠江守正一を以て、臺命、古織にひとし、つらつら思ふに、古織、小遠も、休の淸風をそむくにはあらず、休の茶境界と、武門に在りて兼ね用ふるとの根本より、事たがえたるなり、大樹この兩士をえらばせ給ふも、あながち茶道の修練を以て用ひ給ふにはあらず、諸人の師として、和融の導きなし得べき才力を考へ給ふ事なりと、古老の物語感伏すと、壺中炉談に見へたり。

Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
Another fansubbing group has taken up from where the previous mob left off. Currently it can be watched fansubbed up to episode 22. For those of us who cannot understand Japanese it's the only way to watch this fascinating series.

Anyway, I'm up to episode 18. Toyotomi Hideyoshi's perfidious nature is on full display during this episode, along with his gaucherie. His sexual antics are contrasted nicely with Furuta's affectionate relationship with Osen, his wife.

Highlight for me in the episode is meeting Hideyoshi's neglected wife. There's been so far a paucity of the strong female characters I associate so much with Koichi Mashimo, which I suppose is to be expected in an series about the Byzantine shenanigans of ambitious warlords. Hideyoshi's wife has only a walk-on role but she is quite the character who, needless to say, like anyone with any emotional intelligence in the series can read Furuta like a book.

Another highlight occured in an earlier episode where Tokugawa Ieyasu repays an earlier insult from Furuta (the pineapple dessert!). Ieyasu is so impressed by Furuta's restraint that he is won over. How could one not be charmed by such a scoundrel?
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
I don't see any episodes past 18 but whatever.

I've started over at the beginning because the story is so complex with so many characters that I couldn't just pick it up again in the middle. I've found rewatching very rewarding since aspects of the plot, especially the role of tea-master Soueki, have very deep roots. I've found two episodes per night is my limit because this show demands attentive viewing.

My favorite female character, at least through episode 17, was the warrior at the top of the tower in episode six. Too bad she only appears for a few minutes. I like Osen, but she's a bit too demure for me, and I find her eyes really creepy. There was one scene early on where we actually see her irises, but that is a rare event.

I discovered that the Chinese subbers included the live-action short subjects that followed each anime episode. These shorts display the actual masterpieces described in the show with commentary by someone who must be an art historian. I hope they get subtitled some day as well.

Hyouge Mono got something like 2% in the recent Sengoku poll. I wonder if anyone else voted for it other than the two of us.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I don't see any episodes past 18 but whatever....

Apologies. You are right.

Quote:
... I like Osen, but she's a bit too demure for me, and I find her eyes really creepy...

My feeling exactly.

Quote:
...Hyouge Mono got something like 2% in the recent Sengoku poll. I wonder if anyone else voted for it other than the two of us.

Seems like I'm as easy to read as Furuta. Confused
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
Well considering how enthusiastically you greeted my announcement that I voted for Hyouge Mono, I don't think you hid your feelings any better than Sasuke!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Just to let you guys know, the series is now available subbed up to and including episode thirty. Thanks go to Doremi for continuing to sub this.

Download. Download. Download.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4