• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Tales of Xillia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say I respectfully disagree with most of what Dave said. I'm about 35 hours in and I'm having a blast...

...I DO agree on the field and dungeon design which just feels horrendously repetitive and lazy, and at time looks like it game out of late-era PS2 game.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
FALSE. Tell him to actually finish them.

What makes you so sure he hasn't finished any of them?

Because dan9999 is a "REAL FAN" and therefore his opinion is the only correct one, and all these so-called "professional" "reviewers" and "critics" who "write" "professional" "reviews" can just go to hell because only TRUE FANS blah blah blah blah.

The opinion of someone playing the game out of natural interest will always hold higher objectivity than the one doing it for work. Plain and simple.

That is what I implied with "real fan", as the reviewer makes it appear (as you state the contrary) that he is actually no well versed in the Tales games or actually like jrpgs to begin with.

Xillia being shorter by half of most tales game is a HUGE JOKE. Even without doing sidequests, rushing the story is 26-30 hours long, which if he did then no wonder is feels shorter than other Tales games for him...still false, as it makes it sound that Tales are around 60 hours via (rushing) main story, this proves he did not actually care much for Xillia and if he played it, it was a rushed playthrough to get his job done and get the review out.

Any Tales fan knows that subquests in the Tales game are not merely pointelss sidequests (most). Tales ones further provide story, develop the characters and the world, so they are considered part of the main story, most of them, so next time have the reviewer do them too when it comes to the tales series.

Tales games main storylines are around 30 +/- hours (minus some portable games which are shorter), so no, nothing more false that Xillia being half as short of other tales flagship series.

I could go on with others point as well, but not feeling like doing it.

Still not the best tales game and not even the best this gen. This gen the best is Vesperia, but the story in Xillia is arguably better and more alluring that Grace's one.

Indeed some points hold true, like no puzzles this time in dungeons, I welcome it thou, feels more natural for me in any case, further proves this is not shorter, as those would always artificially increase clock time on the game.

There are also other things that were simplified that could point to a rushed game, like not traveling the world with an warship, which is a main feature of most tales games, still I kind of like it like this as well.

Lastly, If you are publishing this review you are to stand the critique also, opinions in favor or con will always be there.

Hypeathon wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
FALSE. Tell him to actually finish them.

What makes you so sure he hasn't finished any of them?

Some blatant lies or exaggerated remarks that sound like he is making them seriously. See above.

Last edited by dan9999 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Xillia being shorter by half of most tales game is a HUGE JOKE. Even without doing sidequests, rushing the story is 26-30 hours long, which if he did then no wonder is feels shorter than other Tales games for him...still false, as it makes it sound that Tales are around 60 hours via (rushing) main story, this proves he did not actually care much for Xillia and if he played it, it was a rushed playthrough to get his job done and get the review out.

I've played every Tales game released here since Symphonia (not including handhelds). Most of them took me 70+ hours when I had a lot left to do. I clocked in 100+ for my first playthroughs of Vesperia and Graces, again, without even doing everything (didn't touch Zhonecage in that 1st Graces playthrough).

But Xillia? 50-something hours after doing just about everything. I don't have a problem with this, a shorter Tales game after the last two isn't necessarily bad, but while "half" the length *might* be an exaggeration, it's not by much. It's certainly notably shorter than the last few. Vesperia and Graces have stuff in them that encourage players to spend more time with the game farming and grinding, but the game is notably shorter than even Symphonia and Abyss.

Quote:
This gen the best is Vesperia,

In content, perhaps. Battle system was okay, but Graces clearly wins there. Story though? Vesperia's story was godawful. Only redeeming points were Yuri and some sub-plots relating to him (he almost no character arc/growth though).
se37

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, lot of people disagree with the "I think your wrong because of such and such." I have only just finished Chapter 1 in the game (my sister is taking her sweet time playing it with me which is pissing me off) on Jude's story. So far I'm liking this game a lot and I think this game is around the same level as Tales of Graces F but not ToS. Though I HATED Abyss so your millage may vary with me.

If you post a review, you are going to have people talking about how they agree or disagree with the review. It is called "The Internet."

I have seen some REALLY bad reviews in my day and this review, while mainly being mainly negative, I don't see anything really bad or untrue about it.

Should I stop playing a game because one reviewer doesn't like the game? No, I love the Hyperdimesion Neptunia games and I know they aren't "perfect" but I still really enjoy the game. It is one of my favorite series. I don't like Kingdom Hearts, but everyone says how great the game is and everyone passed out when they saw KHIII (when I thought the only great one was the first one and Birth by Sleep was close and KHIII looks like crap to me). Everyone is bias in their own option. Do you want a robot reviewing the games? Imagine if that happened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of the series at all, but most of that seems to be your made up assessment then any real measure of how people view Tales games.

And going by the Tales games I've played (Vesperia, Symphonia, Abyss, Legendia, Graces) they have all been at least 50 hours(well not Legendia) without sidequests. So 30 hours seems pretty short and well seeing as how I'm almost done and thats probably where its going to end, the review seems kind of right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Just for information, Xillia is INTENTIONALLY like the other Tales games. It intentionally borrows the plot from the other games; characters are intentionally like previous Tales characters in multiple ways.

Why? Xillia was the entire series 15th anniversary. Xillia is made for Tales series fans; it's fun to realize the references and nods to previous games/characters. It's fun to see how the merging of the plots from various games works.

The even CREDIT the previous Tales games in the credits of Xillia.

Milla is essentially Dhaos (from ToP)
Elize is essentially a merger of Arrietta and Anise (from TotA).
Rowan is essentially a merger of Jade and Malik (TotA and ToGf).
Leia is essentially a mix of Farah, Annie, and Kohaku (ToE, ToR, ToH)
Alvin is essentially Kratos (ToS)
Jude is essentially Senel (ToL)

Even the "villians" are nods to previous game characters.

The story is a mix of ToE, ToS, and ToV with how the worlds exist and from what I know of it: Xillia 2 carries on that fact by bringing but brings in some of ToP/ToD2 time paradox crap... and it takes place on the other world.

It's not a -perfect- game but its seems to be more of a game for fans of the series, I suppose; as I fully understand and like the story... but I love the nods to previous games.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

I've played every Tales game released here since Symphonia (not including handhelds). Most of them took me 70+ hours when I had a lot left to do. I clocked in 100+ for my first playthroughs of Vesperia and Graces, again, without even doing everything (didn't touch Zhonecage in that 1st Graces playthrough).

But Xillia? 50-something hours after doing just about everything. I don't have a problem with this, a shorter Tales game after the last two isn't necessarily bad, but while "half" the length *might* be an exaggeration, it's not by much. It's certainly notably shorter than the last few. Vesperia and Graces have stuff in them that encourage players to spend more time with the game farming and grinding, but the game is notably shorter than even Symphonia and Abyss.

Quote:
This gen the best is Vesperia,

In content, perhaps. Battle system was okay, but Graces clearly wins there. Story though? Vesperia's story was godawful. Only redeeming points were Yuri and some sub-plots relating to him (he almost no character arc/growth though).

The story is not shorter, that is why I specifically said the story in most tales games is about the same.

Clock time is the increased artificially bu other game mechanist and depending on the player as well, that is why the best way to know if is its shorter is by of means comparing the main storyline length alone.

Notice how in Xillia we have indeed no puzzles nor we have airship to travel the world(map), in other tales games to revisit towns, dungeons, we have to do a lot of foot work, which artificially increases time too. In Xillia once we visit a town/dungeon/field we can easily travel/teleport there.

Still, its no shorter, I always focus on the main storyline and story subquests, no Tales game has been more than 48-55 hours for me, which should be the same for other fans going at it for the story alone and exclusively the story(no challenges like the devil beasts in Xillia or extra dungeon or extra difficulties, which will increase clock time a lot). In Graces I clocked 54 hours, I am currently clocking 38 hours in my Milla story, with story and story subquests--almost all SQ on Xillia provide more story---, now take into account Jude side has much more story and exclusive sidequests to see and do...IS IT SHORTER? No, then take into account the ease of traveling the world/simplified traveling, short by half NO, it is indeed shorter overall thou and indeed the story seems shorter if viewed and judged from a single side (Jude or Milla), if you account for both sides you will see its about the same length as all tales games.

Remember that as Milla or Jude you wont see a lot of stuff happening to the other character at certain points. This point vaguely mentioned by the reviewer further proves he just rushed the game and did not bother with the other side (Jude it seems), no wonder he feels its shorter and by HALF!! ...wonder if he knows Rowen, Alvin, and other character´s backstories and past...did he knows how Isle story ends up? Did she marry, attained happiness? Does he know Gaius true name?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Still, its no shorter, I always focus on the main storyline and story subquests, no Tales game has been more than 48-55 hours for me, which should be the same for other fans going at it for the story alone and exclusively the story(no challenges like the devil beasts in Xillia or extra dungeon or extra difficulties, which will increase clock time a lot). In Graces I clocked 54 hours, I am currently clocking 38 hours in my Milla story, with story and story subquests--almost all SQ on Xillia provide more story---, now take into account Jude side has much more story and exclusive sidequests to see and do...IS IT SHORTER?

I don't know how on earth you can take only 54 hours for Graces but take that long for either side in Xillia.

And it's hilarious that you're accusing him of rushing the game while at the same time trying to argue that you can only compare the lengths of the game by rushing them!

Quote:
Does he know Gaius true name?

That's in a sub-event, and one you can see in Milla's route anyway. In order for his opinion on the length of the game to be valid, he isn't allowed to take the time to see that event.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I think it's pretty pointless to try to assume what the reviewer did or did not do in his playthrough of the game. We have his review and the thoughts therein, and that's it.

Now, having played through the Jude route and some of Millia's route, I didn't think it was particularly short compared to Graces (the only other Tales game I've played). I thought Jude was a bit bland, but not horribly so, and there were times he did some interesting things. In fact, I didn't dislike any of the playable characters. I also felt that Milla was VAed properly: she's essentially learning about being human as she goes along, after all.

I will say that I think how one views this game and its various elements is more subjective than I would've thought. For example: some people have badmouthed the graphics, but I thought Fennmont was very pretty, and I liked the theme music in most of the cities I visited. I thought I had to spend a bit too much time killing critters, but it wasn't *horrible*. I also liked Graces combat system a lot more, with the exception of linking, which was pretty interesting and useful.

Rather than comparing it to Graces over and over, I'll just say that I enjoyed my time playing it and felt that I was getting my money's worth from it. It's not the greatest RPG of all time, but as long as it does what it intends to do, it doesn't have to be. It's entertaining, and several aspects about it drew various sorts of emotions from me. I have no problems recommending it to people who are into these sorts of games. If you like JRPGs, then Tales of Xillia is worth playing, IMO.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Some blatant lies or exaggerated remarks that sound like he is making them seriously. See above.

Dude, you're turning this into waaaay too much of an unnecessary means to see how dedicated of a Tales fan the critic is.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

The others work but this one doesn't work as well. Alvin's more similar to Raven from Vesperia. I get in one way Alvin is like Kratos but Kratos is too serious compared to Alvin's more mix of goofiness and seriousness so Raven seems like a better fit.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Still, its no shorter, I always focus on the main storyline and story subquests, no Tales game has been more than 48-55 hours for me, which should be the same for other fans going at it for the story alone and exclusively the story(no challenges like the devil beasts in Xillia or extra dungeon or extra difficulties, which will increase clock time a lot). In Graces I clocked 54 hours, I am currently clocking 38 hours in my Milla story, with story and story subquests--almost all SQ on Xillia provide more story---, now take into account Jude side has much more story and exclusive sidequests to see and do...IS IT SHORTER?

I don't know how on earth you can take only 54 hours for Graces but take that long for either side in Xillia.

And it's hilarious that you're accusing him of rushing the game while at the same time trying to argue that you can only compare the lengths of the game by rushing them!

Quote:
Does he know Gaius true name?

That's in a sub-event, and one you can see in Milla's route anyway. In order for his opinion on the length of the game to be valid, he isn't allowed to take the time to see that event.

Subevents/Subquests do matter in Tales games and they are an integral part of the main story, they MUST be addressed, even more for someone that is doing a pro review and judging a game and its characters.

As for length of game, I already said, game length varies a lot in different ways and a a lot depends on the player.

Read what I said and see why I am only addressing story + subevents which do matter here, he is saying its half the length of other games, I am saying the most you can rush here is story + sub-events + you have to 2 both side minimum (else you are judging only a part of the game), this review clearly shows he just went at it with one side and skipped all sub-events which for the 10th time do mater here.

You said it, some subvenets happen only in some on Side, imagine if I came here telling you how bland the characters are, how they have no backstories and their motivations are a joke? You can come and say I know no better and do the suvevents no? If not I would tell you how much of an jerk Alvin is as I would be totally oblivious to its past or how Rowen sucks and we know not much of him or would totally oblivious to Gaius´motivations and how he developed such personality.

This game is clearly designed with enjoyment factor for Tales fans, no annoyances like pointelss puzzles and foot work, it definitely enhances the enjoyments factor, fitting as a title celebrating the anniversary of a series.

I dont have an issue with opinions not liking this game, but when someone come basically trashing it and with evidence that its based on merely judging a part of the game, its pretty flawed. This is a huge issue with pro reviews, its a job, and you have the next game to review and there is no guarantee you are reviewing a game-genre-franchise you like, hence why this was also addressed by others here.

Last edited by dan9999 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

The others work but this one doesn't work as well. Alvin's more similar to Raven from Vesperia. I get in one way Alvin is like Kratos but Kratos is too serious compared to Alvin's more mix of goofiness and seriousness so Raven seems like a better fit.

To me, Alvin seemed like a representative of/send up to spoiler[ALL of the traitor characters and the fact that it's just expected in Tales games. They knew players expected it, so they made a character with which they didn't hide it at all and then had him do it several times over.]

dan9999 wrote:
As for length of game, I already said, game length varies a lot in different ways and a a lot depends on the player.

Obviously, that's what I was saying in the first place.

Quote:
You said it, some subvenets happen only in some on Side, imagine if I came here telling you how bland the characters are, how they have no backstories and their motivations are a joke? You can come and say I know no better and do the suvevents no? If not I would tell you how much of an jerk Alvin is as I would be totally oblivious to its past or how Rowen sucks and we know not much of him.

I only played Milla's side so far and I don't at all agree with what he said about the characters. But learning a few more tidbits from Jude's side are incredibly unlikely to change his opinion, as they are based on his perception of seeing them throughout the game and he's already seen at least 75% of them. Their personalities won't suddenly change because he gets slightly more of their backstory in the other side.

dan9999 wrote:
Read what I said and see why I am only addressing story + subevents which do matter here, he is saying its half the length of other games, I am saying the most you can rush here is story + sub-events + you have to 2 both side minimum (else you are judging only a part of the game), this review clearly shows he just went at it with one side and skipped all sub-events which for the 10th time do mater here.

You can't just decide that some optional events matter and count towards the game time and others don't, especially since the player has no way of knowing this when playing through normally for the first time.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

To me, Alvin seemed like a representative of/send up to spoiler[ALL of the traitor characters and the fact that it's just expected in Tales games. They knew players expected it, so they made a character with which they didn't hide it at all and then had him do it several times over.]

I quite liked this. spoiler[We know all tales games have a traitor and only until later we know who, now we as players since very early know it AND the characters know it, it was nice.]

Last edited by dan9999 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

I quite liked this. We know all tales games have a traitor and only until later we know who, now we as players since very early know it AND the characters know it, it was nice.

Yeah, I really liked what they did with him. They "Okay, yeah, we've done this to death and everyone expects it, so let's run with it" and it worked pretty well. Would be nice to see them find a way to do that with 1 or 2 other staples of the Tales stories now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9