• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Press Release Regarding ANN Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Azumangaman wrote:
That's impressive that the did release a thank you.

That was a Thank you note? I guess that's one way of seeing it. It came off more as a pat on the back to me. Sounds pretty typical of AD "We're so great" Vision. Wink

LordRobin wrote:
Heh. I remember when AnimEigo was the end-all and be-all and ADV was the anime antichrist. I got so much crap on r.a.a for defending them way back when.

Technically they still are among the more obsessed fan. ADV just has better name recognition and the money to license and market highly visable shows. Heck, ADV's currently taking all the credit for an old Animeigo title, Macross. You don't hear a peep about who restored the video and provided the notes on the website. It even went so far as to claim that theirs was the first non-Robotech presentation.

Simply put, ADV just has presence. They're a mixed bag for me. It seems whenever they do something right, they follow it with something bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“ADV is an anime company built by fans, for fans,” said Senior Vice President for Sales and Marketing Mike Bailiff. “Fan support is very important to us, and we’re extremely grateful for the recognition from Anime News Network’s readers.”

*gags* I haven't done squat to build their company. And if they were built for me, I would've voted them in the polls, which I did not. Give me one good dub, redo all the other ones prior to that, and redo the subtitles for everything released before 2002, and I'll provide all~ the finacial sustenance they freakin' need.

If they really did care, even I should be happy, right? I might be eventually, but until then, they should save their half-baked, schmaltzy remarks for when they take over the world, because I'm still sentient and not a minion of the Dark Side quite yet.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
You buy their DVDs, thus you give them money, thus you build their company. It's really quite simple.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

Sadly, I can already hear "Where are they now?" for AnimEigo now. AnimEigo's "last" anime series is almost out, and the only they got left is samurai movies, unless they start to pick up some new series.

Yeah, I've noticed that Animeigo has hardly licensed anything recently. Shame since they have some really good titles in their library and it would be nice to see them continue that streak of quality shows (*drools a bit over the BGC remastered collection*).
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

That was a Thank you note? I guess that's one way of seeing it. It came off more as a pat on the back to me. Sounds pretty typical of AD "We're so great" Vision. Wink

I agree with you that the "Thank You" is only useful as a marketing tool, which was the whole point of the press release to begin with. I will take issue if you think this is somehow different then any other anime company or just about any company with a PR department operates. They will take every opportunity to make themselves look good, such is the way of business.

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Technically they still are among the more obsessed fan.

Question Exactly who is this "more obsessed fan" and where is this information "technically" proclaiming Animeigo best among them? I'm a pretty big fan of anime, but ADV is certainly up there on my list with Geneon, Bandai et al. AnimEigo was/is very good, but the vote will naturally go to someone who is seen as churning out good releases on a current and consistent basis. Of course, it's a subjective and people will vote towards what they know.
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Heck, ADV's currently taking all the credit for an old Animeigo title, Macross. You don't hear a peep about who restored the video and provided the notes on the website. It even went so far as to claim that theirs was the first non-Robotech presentation.

Why should they make a peep about the remastered video? I didn't see them claiming to have done it themselves anywhere either. As for them claiming theirs was the first non-Robotech presentation, I also don't see them saying that anywhere. The ADV Macross site, word-for-word says:
ADV wrote:

For the first time, anime fans can enjoy Macross as it was originally presented to Japanese TV audiences more than 20 years ago in an English dub!

A statement which is accurate, even if it gives no credit to the AnimEigo past releases.

Tony K. wrote:

*gags* I haven't done squat to build their company. And if they were built for me, I would've voted them in the polls, which I did not.

C'mon Tony. I was wondering how long it would take for you to chime in. I wasn't wondering what you were going to say though. Wink It says by fans for fans, not by fans for every single fan. I'm certain they are quite aware that not every single fan will be satisfied with their work. Show me one company that has maintained 100% customer satisfaction.

Tony K. wrote:
If they really did care, even I should be happy, right?

I'm sure they do care if you are happy, not personally of course, but your happiness and satisfaction with them is directly tied to your purchasing decisions. What they cannot do, obviously, is create something that appeases all fans. So they will do what any company does, and appease the widest base of people possible. Your views are in the minority, hence releases are not tailored to your tastes. If your views were in the majority, they would be churning out dub after dub that you would drool over just thinking about.
Tony K. wrote:
because I'm still sentient and not a minion of the Dark Side quite yet.

*in best Vader accent* You must accept *deep machine breath* your destiny.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:14 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

I agree with you that the "Thank You" is only useful as a marketing tool, which was the whole point of the press release to begin with. I will take issue if you think this is somehow different then any other anime company or just about any company with a PR department operates. They will take every opportunity to make themselves look good, such is the way of business.

Of course.

Quote:
Question Exactly who is this "more obsessed fan" and where is this information "technically" proclaiming Animeigo best among them? I'm a pretty big fan of anime, but ADV is certainly up there on my list with Geneon, Bandai et al. AnimEigo was/is very good, but the vote will naturally go to someone who is seen as churning out good releases on a current and consistent basis. Of course, it's a subjective and people will vote towards what they know.

I basically meant the non-passive fan. AKA, the convention going, sub watching hardcore types, as seemingly rare as they are. I can't really describe it as accurately as I'd like. Granted, they're not all of that opinion. I'm merely saying that that old adage is still around, even if the general opinion is, "ADV rocks because they license everything". The "information" basically being the general opinions I've gathered from conventions and whatnot. I know exactly why the vote was the way it was, as I said later in my post.

I'm not saying ADV is undeserving of the placing. They've improved considerably. Still, in the areas I generally care about, I consider Animeigo, and Geneon and Bandai for that matter, their superior.

Quote:
Why should they make a peep about the remastered video? I didn't see them claiming to have done it themselves anywhere either. As for them claiming theirs was the first non-Robotech presentation, I also don't see them saying that anywhere. The ADV Macross site, word-for-word says:
ADV wrote:

For the first time, anime fans can enjoy Macross as it was originally presented to Japanese TV audiences more than 20 years ago in an English dub!

A statement which is accurate, even if it gives no credit to the AnimEigo past releases.

Would you believe that it didn't actually say that until I e-mailed them about it? Wink After all, I said "went so far", meaning that they've since changed it. It used to say just, "For the first time, anime fans can enjoy Macross as it was originally presented to Japanese TV audiences more than 20 years ago." which is not accurate and gives ADV total credit for bringing non-Robotech Macross to the public. Without those four little words it's pretty much a baldfaced lie. If you don't believe me, I did save an image of it unaltered. Though the point is moot, since I have to give it to them for actually listening to their email. Like I said, ADV's been a mixed bag for me. I even voted for them in one of the polls.

Yes they don't claim to have remastered it, but they do mention it. I'm sure there are a few fans out there that believe ADV had a hand in it. What I meant specifically is that the way they're marketing it, you'd think ADV snatched it from the very jaws of obscurity themselves and not that this is a rerelease of a show that's been availble for some time. I'm not naive. I can understand why they'd not give publicity to a rival company, but it is a bit misleading. Cool

Last edited by Renaisance Otaku on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:27 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

Would you believe that it didn't actually say that until I e-mailed them about it?

Yes.
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Yes they don't claim to have remastered it, but they do mention it. I'm sure there are a few fans out there that believe ADV had a hand in it. Cool
I would mention it as well, it's a good selling point, especially when combined with the dub. Oh yes, I'm quite certain that the two people, who are entirely new to the whole "Macross Saga" (not the release but the actual HG et al. saga) [and want to buy it]will think ADV remastered it. I hear there are two who believed ADV also remastered Eva. Laughing

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I can understand why they'd not give publicity to a rival company, but it is a bit misleading. Cool
Perhaps, but, what we must keep in mind, is that ADV's license is with Harmony Gold, not AnimEigo. They may be bound by contract not to menntion them, or they just may not want to give them any business, although it's not like they're in a position to barrel over ADV or anything.
Belmot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It seems whenever they do something right, they follow it with something bad.

Well, this also has happened in the German Market.

As some people might know, ADV is also releasing their titles in germany.

Their first titles ( Final Fantasy Unlimited, Full Metal Panic, Neon Genesis Evangelion) were absolutly great, but in the first half of 2005 they did some terrible mistake.

Well, actually it was only one big mistake:

Letting Aaron Film dub Chobits and Mezzo.

Aaron Film is the worst dubbing company ever and every fan knows that, and they let them dub CHOBITS. Rolling Eyes

At least they didn't make this mistake after these 2 titles again, because for their newest they contracted some very good dubbing companies.

(The trailers for Kino's Journey, Abenobashi and Elfen Lied sound awesome ^^. *klick*)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
Shouldn't ANN be fair to the 2nd and 3rd place distributors (Geneon and FUNimation) by also putting on this result on the home page too as an extra to the ADV thank you?
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
It's just as I figured, that poll has basically stroked their egos. This may or may not be faulty cause-and-effect relationship, but this could all result in ADV possibly "Ghost Stories"-izing future titles (I was going to get the Macross DVD [and I still might], but then I learned that "UFO Princess Valkyrie" was being renamed "UFO 'Ultramaiden' Valkyrie").

As someone else mentioned, the poll was not meant to be taken seriously. I didn't vote because I didn't have an opinion.

Regarding previous comments:

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I basically meant the non-passive fan. AKA, the convention going, sub watching hardcore types

Yeah, just like them (ADV) (or not, I want to see what the Valkyrie issue is)....

Quote:
That was a Thank you note? I guess that's one way of seeing it. It came off more as a pat on the back to me. Sounds pretty typical of AD "We're so great" Vision.

Tell me about it...

DragonsRevenge wrote:
You buy their DVDs, thus you give them money, thus you build their company. It's really quite simple.

I do agree, but Tony K has a point too. When I think about it, we should only support them for the titles they "do right". Of course, if they start "Ghost Stories"-izing more and more of their aquisitions, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to never buy anything from them again, thus never support them ever again (even if they did TV-Y or TV-Y7 titles). It also (in this hypothetical scenario) wouldn't be unreasonable to see them as the (bi-)polar opposite of 4Kids (long story).

Quote:
It certainly can't hurt that they're the Microsoft of anime, swallowing up just about every anime property under the sun.

Not that that's totally a bad thing, consdering they got Azumanga Daioh.

It could potentially be "a bad thing", however.

Joe Mello wrote:
I can't figure out if this is exploitation or giving street cred to ANN.

It's more than likely the former.

Well, that's how I feel about it. I'm hoping that this poll doesn't start turning them into egomaniacs (if they weren't already, that is). Their future work will determine if this is so or not. After all, you all know the old saying: "Actions speak louder than words".
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't really predict that many more "Ghost Storyzed" releases in the future. . .they know they struck gold with it once, but they know they can't go doing the same old thing to every title that looks a bit questionable.

I guess I haven't been a fan long enough to know too much about AnimEigo. . .the only thing I have from them is the AMG OVAs, and I had to double-check the licensing list to find it. If they have the capital, maybe they can make a new name for themselves by licensing some of those fan-favorite "are they ever gonna license them??" H-game based shows that have been tossed around in a few AnswerMan columns. Y'all know what I mean, ne?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Actually, most of the ADV titles I have were bought on eBay from other people who had aleady paid their share. Technically, you could say my money maid up for the people buying those, and that I, ultimately, contributed to ADV (a la some chain effect), but I doubt whatever I paid those people went towards some other ADV product. And besides, I doubt the $132 I actually have spent (the last 3 years through online and retail purchasing) is running their worldwide regime Wink.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
It certainly can't hurt that they're the Microsoft of anime, swallowing up just about every anime property under the sun.

Eh, they eat poo mostly then. Razz They've got Evangelion, Noir and a couple of other gems like Azumanga, but the rest of their massive library is very "meh," in my opinion. Geneon's got the real goods.
RezSav

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I voted for FUNimation, actually, for Case Closed and FMA; But I like how they acknowledge this website's exsistence, wouldn't of expected that.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Let's bring ourselves back to reality, shall we?

ADV is only one of maybe several companies dedicated to localizing anime titles and releasing them to a market outside Japan. There's also Geneon, Media Blasters, Bandai, Funimation, and a slew of others who are either starting up or low on the "title-releasing list."

ADV may be good; but nobody's perfect. "These cats are just runnin' their mouse." They're running their mouths crazy, man. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3