• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Schedule Change

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
It would be great to see RahXephon on AS. Unfortunately, G4 has the rights to it now.
TheShadow99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
Well, alot has been said since my last post...

First I'll say my distrust for the Neilson ratings comes from seeing what it's like on the inside.... I don't need to have my favorite shows screwed by the ratings to know they are a very crappy measure for assuming popularity... Do I have a better solution? No. I don't think I digital solution would appeal to marketers. Why? Well how do you propose to get viewer stats like age and gender? Neilson does it by using a code system to represent everyone in a household via a code. I don't see people entering codes in everytime they watch TV...

Quote:
Nielsen does their best to constantly change their homes so they can gain consistant trends.

This is utter crap. Did you maybe read the part where (in their own literature that I read 5 years ago) they claimed that you could be in the program for decades? We have no idea how many actually change or how often, as they don't say. The fact that they tell you that you could be in it for decades however implies that basically some families keep affectign the ratings indefinately and don't change at all.

Quote:
My theory on Nielsen is the higher the rating, the smaller the margin of error, because the highest rated shows on TV are really the most talked about among people.

I think it's often more common that high ratings draw more viewers to a show. Person X says to buddy Y "Hey did you see all the media going on about that new series that had 40 million viewers last week? I gotta see that." Ratings beget ratings. It's that way in alot of other situations as well (the fashion industry tends to be a prime example). This tends to be why I distrust the high ratings of shows. It doesn't help that I don't know anyone who watches shows like 'desperate housewives' & my experience tells me it's not very popular at all in my area... Yet nationally it supposedly is...

I will agree that AS's aniem lineup is pretty darn stall... Something new would go a long way to helping their ratings.

I'll also say I don't think they understand their audience at all. While their intent may be to attract young men ages 20-30, I don't see that being true... In my anime club, which has about 40 members from a variety of ages and has both men and women, it breaks down like this: 90% of my anime club is female. All of which watch the anime on AS. The guys in my club almost never watch anything on AS & all are in the targeted age/gender bracket... Which leads me to say they don't realize their own audience.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
TheShadow99 wrote:
This is utter crap. Did you maybe read the part where (in their own literature that I read 5 years ago) they claimed that you could be in the program for decades? We have no idea how many actually change or how often, as they don't say. The fact that they tell you that you could be in it for decades however implies that basically some families keep affectign the ratings indefinately and don't change at all.

Yes I did read that part, yet I was only in it for a week. Complete wiith my li'l diary and no meter (despite being in a major market). If any families are in it for decades, God's speed to them because it's a pain to keep up that information.
whalesuitgod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
If adult swim is really looking for 18-24/24-30 eyeballs then it has no business broadcasting on saturday night, the time when those people are least likely watch it. I sympathize with the younger people who couldn't stay up late on a weekday to catch everything, but putting your target demographic in a position to choose between watching tv and cavorting with drunken members of the opposite sex* is a bad idea. Having a vcr helps individuals, but doesn't solve the network's problems.

I haven't actually followed the numbers but my understanding is that AS was doing the best when it was putting shows on thursday nights, then repeating on sunday (or was it sat? too many changes to keep up with). That was definitely the best schedule from my point of view.

*Or going to box socials or whatever the devil those people who don't cavort do on saturday nights
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
That's why AS was putting anime on Saturday nights in the first place, because, ratings-wise, it's the weakest night of the week, so the ratings-dampening effect of airing anime is lessened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3