• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Book of Daniel and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
There was a lot of Jesus fanfic going around in the second century A.D. But the reason those particular four Gospels made it into the New Testament wasn't because there weren't many others that a minority believed in, but because these were the four that that had the broadest overall support (even among those who also believed in what are now known as apocryphal and pseudoepigraphical books).

In fact the very last line of the four canonical Gospels (John 21:25) is: "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen." Surely this verse would have been "censored" if there had been a conspiracy to deny the possibility of other Gospels. It was just that not enough people could come to a consensus over which of the many "other things" written down were true, so they stuck to the four which had the broadest consensus. Nor were neo-New Testaments a phenomenon only of Biblical times; Mormons, for example, believe they received a testimony of Jesus that was hidden until the 19th century.

Most major religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism, have branches that argue fiercely and sometimes murderously over doctrine. Human nature is to take the interpretations and the revelations that favor your world view. Liberals and conservatives will each pick what suits them, and each believe the other got it wrong.

To focus on any one particular sin, however, isn't an imitation of the Gospels, as Jesus did not, unless it was the sin of hypocrisy. One may or may not believe that homosexuality will keep you out of heaven, but Jesus says the same thing about people who pass by the sick, poor, and hungry, about those who lie, about those who do this and about those who do that. "Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." He didn't add, "oh, yeah, and especially you sodomites."

The Christian viewpoint is that we're all pretty much fucked: everyone sins in some way, and therefore everyone needs salvation. Of course, one doesn't have to accept this premise, or that of any religion. But most who are believers shop around for whatever sect or denomination or gospel or epistle or chapter or verse that will tell them what they wanted to hear—be it that Jesus hated gays, or that Jesus was gay. In the absence of a Second Coming to settle things one way or the other, Christianity is just a 2000 year-old series of flamewars, often conducted with real flame. And new forums are starting up every day.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was honestly one of the best idiot/flame-ending explanations of Christianity (and religion in general) ever. I applaud you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
There is no better test to determine if you have greated god in your image when your god hates what you hate.

And a lot of those gospels were destroyed as the historical record indicates. So were a great many Christian sects. A conspiracy to elimante something cannot get rid of all traces even though it tries to. Too many copies of the bible existed with the verse the prior poster mentioned to get rid of them.
So Christian sects when confronted either admit their existance or remain ignorant of them. America which has the greatest number of Biblical literalists also has the highest number of people lacking in Biblical understanding. Ironic isn't it?

There were Christian sects in their time as large and as imporant as the Catholic Church today who held that the god of the old and the new testament were different gods. The serpent in the garden of Eden was the god of the New Testament come to release mankind from slavery to the god of the old testament.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
Can we skip the Theological Lessons and God Bashing and focus on how Hollywood seems to f*** up reality and history? If I wanted to be "educated" on God, then i'll ask the big guy himself.
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Can we skip the Theological Lessons and God Bashing and focus on how Hollywood seems to f*** up reality and history? If I wanted to be "educated" on God, then i'll ask the big guy himself.

You can feel free to write that it's fucked up. Well, I've seen manga and anime on several occasions present what I regarded as an inaccurate view of reality and history, so I guess turnabout is fair play. In this regard, Japanese pop culture doesn't necessarily have any higher integrity and accuracy than American pop culture.

Having said that, of course, it would have been preferable that "The Book of Daniel" distinguished themselves by getting it right for a change. You will find some people in Hollywood—producers, actors, entertainment lawyers—who do have a fairly good grasp on anime and manga. But there are also many to whom it's just a reference to drop to seem topical. Nothing inherently wrong with that (anime and manga drop references themselves all the time to be topical), it's just "Daniel" had the bad luck not to have any informed oversight, and thus these references ended up inaccurate.

—C.

"I bring you grains of truth."
—Osaka, AZUMANGA DAIOH
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The show is a comedy show. Black comedy perhaps.

As for the depication of manga guess what most Americans wouldn't be able to say what manga was if you asked them. Most stores a year ago wouldn't have an aisle devoted to manga. The manga would be mixed in with the comic books. Also I have seen work in the same style shown in the show being promoted by companies as manga even though the people on these boards wouldn't call it manga. It's more propaly a graphic novel inspired by manga that she was creating. Heck she even goes onto animate it. It could be showing the confusion people have with something gaining popularity from another country.

Just be thankfull they didn't say manga was a work of Satan or promotes beastiliaty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3