• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Licenses Seikai Novels

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
vampire hunter d, boogiepop and now seikai, it's just wonderful !
i hope juuni kokki and kino no tabi novels will follow.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, these'll sell well enough to print the entire series. Smile
Superflyz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to the Kino's Journey novels?

1 year has passed since Tokyopop licensed them, and still nothing... :cry:
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Shame Tokyopop got them, though. They'll probably add in made-up psychic powers for the Abh and turn Spauhr male or something. Oh goody, and the way they handle the Abh language will be nothing short of priceless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
So... when they mean they've licensed BotS, do they mean BotS_I or the whole Banner of the Stars (I, II, III)?

Nagisa, are they that bad when translating/adapting stuff?

Speaking of licenses, wtf happened to Crayon Shinchan? I loves teh series (and out of ~60 jp books, they published 10 in english).
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
*sits in the corner, waiting for the LoGH novels*
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Armagguedes wrote:
Nagisa, are they that bad when translating/adapting stuff?

They are with most of the stuff I've read. With Gundam SEED Astray, for example, Tokyopop's wonderful translation team were so capable as to invent psychic powers for Coordinators for one scene, turn the main antagonist female for his entire run (and then insert "he's androgynous" remarks in the character dialogue in later volumes to cover their ass instead of, y'know, actually fixing it), and I seem to recall them flip-flopping on the spelling of certain terms (specifically, I seem to remember them interchanging "Orb" and "Aube" rather frequently...or was it that Tokyopop was using "Orb" and Del-Ray was using "Aube?").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Shame Tokyopop got them, though. They'll probably add in made-up psychic powers for the Abh and turn Spauhr male or something. Oh goody, and the way they handle the Abh language will be nothing short of priceless.

An here you were just making fun of fans who thought TCM might edit the Miyazaki films just the other day? Rolling Eyes

I know that Tokyopop hasn't got a good track record with their Gundam SEED manga but I believe these are novelization translations, not the manga, seeing the Manga tie-in books already came out last year. Tokyopop also has the SEED novels, so does anyone know how well they've been doing with the translations on those?

While Tokyopop wouldn't have been my first choice to translate these books it seems no mainstream SF book publisher was interested in doing it, even though I have heard the books have won awards (it's a statement on the sad state of General SF book publishing these days, IMO) Sad. I'm just glad I'll have a chance to finally read these books, though I do hope Tokyopop does a better job with the translating than they did with Astray.
Trell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget that Tokyopop may just stop with roughly two thirds of the series to go, as they did with Slayers.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Mm, novels~

We can only hope, though, that they actually translate ALL the series this time.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
An here you were just making fun of fans who thought TCM might edit the Miyazaki films just the other day? Rolling Eyes

But the funny thing is, TCM doesn't have a history of doing the sort of thing people were blindly accusing them of (their only evidence being the association of Turner > Cartoon Network > Toonami). Tokyopop...kinda does have that history.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Words can not express how much this has made my year.
I had a fantran of the first novel and its such a damn good series.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Trell wrote:
Let's not forget that Tokyopop may just stop with roughly two thirds of the series to go, as they did with Slayers.

with Slayers that was all they actually licensed, altho I believe they have the option to license the rest of the series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
This makes me happy. I loved Crest of the Stars (though I haven't seen the sequals) and I'd love to read the novels. I just hope Tokyopop does a decent job translating them.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
So, they aquire new novels to translate, but aren't going to go beyond volume six of the Slayers novels. Nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2