• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-04-20

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
Hey, I'm beautiful and I read comics. Does that make me weird?

Ya, it just makes sense. Beautiful girls know already they're beautiful and wouldn't bother with things like comics. Laughing
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
OH NO! That news elf is one of The Stylish! Shocked

... Wink ...
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Barfy, the rapping dog? It wouldn't happen to be PARTY TIME!? This dog is THE BOSS.

Lol, it's good to see I'm not the only one who thought of this.

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
RisikaFox wrote:
What's this, appearance of the Hollywood News Elf? xD Loooved it.

Or a Movie Elf.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I definately see Ceci being defeated by the power of yaoi. Then she will fall for the indie comics elf, and try to make a BL themed movie, which everyone will still be pissed at, but accept that somehow its better than rapping dogs and Family Circus. Am I right? Even close?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
I definately see Ceci being defeated by the power of yaoi. Then she will fall for the indie comics elf, and try to make a BL themed movie, which everyone will still be pissed at, but accept that somehow its better than rapping dogs and Family Circus. Am I right? Even close?

All I ask is that you throw more puncuation between "BL themed movie" and "Family Circus."

And y'all need to stop calling Ceci evil, she is clearly just a poser (probably not even a real elf.)
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
It's nice to occasionally see proof that, yes, there are women who appreciate comics of any kind. I've read a lot of horror stories over the years from guys with wives/gfs who seemed to think any hobby for the man was a waste of time and space.

I don't understand this myth that girls aren't geeks, or if they are they must be hideous apelike creatures from another planet. Conventions seem pretty even in sexes to me and the attendees come in a wide variety of shapes, colors, and appearances. I don't know why guys seem to think the only girls out there are the ones who love clothes and shoes shopping and chic flicks and that they have to stick with one of those when they come along and put away their hobbies. A girl shouldn't have to put away her hobbies either. I always admire people who can just have fun, wear their geekdom on their sleeve, and be themselves.

I like the idea of Ceci being essentially a TMZ/People/Variety employee Anime hyper. Her nerdom will reveal itself in time I've no doubt! Maybe she read Barbie comic books back in the day! (yes they existed and we're as girly as they sound.)
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

All I ask is that you throw more puncuation between "BL themed movie" and "Family Circus."

Yeah! And some psell checkling, to.

----------------------Very Happy

I don't get how yaoi is going to stop her. Convert her maybe...

As an anime news elf, isn't Nina bound by the shonen code? She has to suffer a defeat, then seek out the master who trains her in a new more powerful technique. She will quickly master a technique that usually takes years, either thru the possession of 'the gift' of the chosen one or by entering a time stopping training chamber.

How many news elves will there be by the time this arc finishes? They seem to be multiplying at a disturbing rate.

Oh, also,that face in the last panel, um, that's a BM face. a hard BM face. Just sayin'.

You're welcome.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
I don't know why guys seem to think the only girls out there are the ones who love clothes and shoes shopping and chic flicks and that they have to stick with one of those when they come along and put away their hobbies.

Is there any other kind? Are ya sure they're of the female non-dawg persuasion? Laughing
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:

I don't understand this myth that girls aren't geeks, or if they are they must be hideous apelike creatures from another planet.

LOL

What is "The Planet of the Apes" Alex.

One example of hot nerd comes to mind: Aisha Tyler*.

I think the stereotype comes partially from low self esteem that may fuel the assumption that a good looking girl has options and can't really be there for the fandom. She's just there to show off and drink in the attention. Maybe, she's just dabbling(like that's a crime). Whatever. People with options still manage to make choices. Challenging them on their seriousness may just be the thing that turns them off when they otherwise would have stayed. The militant hardcore life is not for everyone(and not much fun to be around IMHO).

*Ironically, I find her very funny in a natural setting but not as much on the stage.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:

I don't understand this myth that girls aren't geeks, or if they are they must be hideous apelike creatures from another planet.

LOL

What is "The Planet of the Apes" Alex.

One example of hot nerd comes to mind: Aisha Tyler*.

Don't forget Megan Fox. Laughing

Q: HOW DID YOU GET INTO YOUR LOVE OF ANIME AND GRAPHIC NOVELS?

A: I started drawing when I was about 2, mostly pictures of my mother and my sister. When I got into school, instead of taking the notes that I should have been taking, I was drawing in all of my notebooks. It was an artwork thing for me at first. But when I was 12, Adult Swim on Cartoon Network started, and they had a lot of anime cartoons on, like Cowboy Bebop and InuYasha, and that’s when I first started seeing it in cartoon form and actually started researching it....

Cheesecracker wrote:

I think the stereotype comes partially from low self esteem that may fuel the assumption that a good looking girl has options and can't really be there for the fandom. She's just there to show off and drink in the attention. Maybe, she's just dabbling(like that's a crime).

Nah, they're just there to make fun of everyone else. Laughing
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Nah, they're just there to make fun of everyone else. Laughing

There you go, fueling that low self esteem. Wink

BTW --Good one!
RapidEyeMovement wrote:

OH NO! That news elf is one of The Stylish!
animeandshakespeare

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
Anybody else remember the old Denis Leary line about dogs rapping being one of the signs of the apocalypse? Twisted Evil

Badda dada da Bow Wow!
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:

I like the idea of Ceci being essentially a TMZ/People/Variety employee Anime hyper. Her nerdom will reveal itself in time I've no doubt! Maybe she read Barbie comic books back in the day! (yes they existed and we're as girly as they sound.)

There also use to be a Pepsi magazine, although it's hard to find any mention of it on the Internet.

What we need is a prime-time news elf to show up and moderate things.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
I needed this laugh today. Sad thing is she's not off the mark. It's on and popping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4