• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Star Trek Actor Petitions Against Akira 'Whitewashing'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Gideon Krieg wrote:
I found the article particularly interesting.

I sympathize with Mr. Takei's view that a Japanese masterpiece such as Akira would feel more authentic with an ALL Japanese cast.

However, this is an American adaptation which is supposed to take place in the United States, not Japan.

Therefore, it is wrong for Mr. Takei (or anyone else) to assume that the lead roles absolutely be Japanese actors (or Americans of Japanese descent).

Hollywood is hardly the bastion of Aryan white supremacy, thus I trust the producers of this film are actually looking at the people most qualified to fill the roles of Kaneda and Tetsuo for an American audience.

It is also interesting that Mr. Takei (and others) are using a term I find quite racist.
That term being "whitewashing."
If it's okay to use such a term for a movie that happens to have a cast of actors who are all Caucasian, does that mean a movie with an all black cast is a "Black Out?" or an all Asian cast is a "rice bowl."
Racism cuts both ways.
It's no more acceptable to call an all white cast a "whitewash" than it is to use the other two terms I conjured up for this post.

That said, I take great offense as a mixed-blood American (part native American part Canadian French) to the term "whitewashing" and thus see Mr. Takei's comments as racist in and of themselves.
Had he made the argument that the movie should take place in Japan and thus star Japanese actors to preserve the authenticity of the story, that would be another matter entirely.
But that's not what he said.

I don't judge actors on the color of their skin, I judge them on their abilities as actors and could care less what race they are.

If Kaneda ends up being a Native American and Tetsuo a Black guy, I wouldn't even notice so long as they're great actors.

Mr. Takei is old enough to know this and thus he ought to have chosen his words more carefully and made a more mature argument than (to paraphrase) "only Whiteys in this movie."

The thing is why is taking place in America in the first place? I grew up with the Akira that took place in Japan, that's what I would want to see. Takei's point is that its pretty hard for Asians to get leading roles in Hollywood in general, so taking stories that feature an Asian cast and changing their race means Asians don't get to star in their own stories in Hollywood, let alone get new roles created for them. That seems pretty unfair.
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
However, this is an American adaptation which is supposed to take place in the United States, not Japan.

The changing of the setting was also an issue Mr.Takei and others made note of before the rumors about casting.

Quote:
Mr. Takei is old enough to know this and thus he ought to have chosen his words more carefully and made a more mature argument than (to paraphrase) "only Whiteys in this movie."

He did chose his words carefully but that does not stop people like you taking whatever he says and straw-manning it to fit your needs of "equality".

Wrong.

Actually Mr. Takei tweeted this:

Quote:
Akira epic fail--all actors up for Kaneda & Tetsuo are white? Sign & RT the petition here...

There's no strawman involved.
George Takei is upset that the lead roles are being played by white people, not Americans.
If he had made the comment that it was epic fail because it was in the USA, with an all American lead, I'd agree with him, but he didn't and that's a fact.

The CinemaBlend article points it out clearly.
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:

The thing is why is taking place in America in the first place? I grew up with the Akira that took place in Japan, that's what I would want to see. Takei's point is that its pretty hard for Asians to get leading roles in Hollywood in general, so taking stories that feature an Asian cast and changing their race means Asians don't get to star in their own stories in Hollywood, let alone get new roles created for them. That seems pretty unfair.

I agree with you that the story of Akira should be taking place in Neo-Tokyo, and the cast should be Japanese (never mind Americans of Japanese descent).
However, that said, I'm not the one paying for this production and the people that are have chosen the USA as the setting and American actors to fill the roles.
Since the producers for the US film are fronting the money, they get the say on how the film will be produced and who will act in it.
They have to turn a profit and I assume they know how.
It doesn't matter what we want.
What matters is what will make the most amount of money.

I also grew up with Akira (the manga), and I don't particularly like that this film is set in the United States, but unfortunately it is.

It may not be fair, but since when is business ever fair?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
So why did you leave out the link to the petition on FB that also has an interview with Mr.Takei explaining his position more than a single comment on twitter?

http://www.advocate.com/News/News_Features/Takei_to_WB_Do_The_Right_Thing/

His complaint is about white people as used as a racial description, American is not a race. Some of the actors on the shortlist are not even American so if Mr. Takei made a statement about having a problem with an All-American lead it would not even fit.
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

His complaint is about white people as used as a racial description, American is not a race. Some of the actors on the shortlist are not even American so if Mr. Takei made a statement about having a problem with an All-American lead it would not even fit.

I didn't link to the petition because I don't support the petition.
Besides that, Mr. Takei's comments are no different on the advocate website.
They're more strung out, and detailed, but his meaning is not any different than what is in the tweet.

His use of a specific racial description is still racism.
He's saying that only an Asian actor(s) can make this film succeed whereas white actors will make it flop.
That's like saying only Americans can make a successful western movie, yet the Italians made spaghetti westerns for years that were quite good.
In fact, the Japanese made a modestly successful western movie called Sukiyaki Western Django.
That was adapted from the Italian spaghetti westerns.
Therefore, Mr. Takei's logic isn't based on how badly Americanized versions of Japanese films--like M. Night Shamala's screenplay script for "The Last Airbender"--are written, or produced, Mr. Takei based the failure of these Americanized films on white/American actors being in the lead roles.
That's not a logical argument, it's a racist one.

On the other hand, being American IS NOT a race, we are a people with a unique culture that IS NOT Japanese.
There are Americans of all races, colors, and creeds, but all are of one culture.
Thus, if Mr. Takei had said that the "Americanization" of Asian film is what's causing these adaptation films to flop then he wouldn't look like a bigot and I'd be on his side, but that's not what he's saying.
I know this because he's not complaining that Akira is set to take place in New York city.

Therefore, by specifically singling out whites from the diverse group of Americans Mr. Takei's statement becomes racist.

This article explains why the lead cast is what it is.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Robert-Pattinson-Michael-Fassbender-Chris-Pine-And-Many-Others-Shortlisted-For-Akira-Remake-23787.html

It's because Warner Bros. is butting heads with director Albert Hughes.
Warner obviously wants this film to make money, thus they're demanding that the new crop of "hot" young actors be scouted for the lead roles (whose names are going to be changed according to the article).
What race the actors are, and whether they're Japanese or not, clearly isn't even a consideration for Warner.
What matters is will they draw the ticket buyers to make money off this project.

Therefore, for Mr. Takei to make the racist comments he did shows just how crass he was being when he tweeted them.
To me it also makes Mr. Takei look like a washed up has-been of an actor, and that's sad because I do (or did) actually like him.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't link to the petition because I don't support the petition.
Besides that, Mr. Takei's comments are no different on the advocate website.
They're more strung out, and detailed, but his meaning is not any different than what is in the tweet.

Then don't sign the petition, don't hide information because proves your stance wrong.
Quote:

His use of a specific racial description is still racism.
He's saying that only an Asian actor(s) can make this film succeed whereas white actors will make it flop.

He did not do that. He clearly cites the mistakes and past failures that match what is being done to Akira now.

Quote:
Therefore, by specifically singling out whites from the diverse group of Americans Mr. Takei's statement becomes racist.

Well if Asian-American actors were on the list of prospective leads then this issue would not even exist in the first place.
It is the list of candidates that has specifically singled out those actors, not Mr.Takei. The issue he is talking about is one of race not nationality.

Quote:

It's because Warner Bros. is butting heads with director Albert Hughes.
Warner obviously wants this film to make money, thus they're demanding that the new crop of "hot" young actors be scouted for the lead roles (whose names are going to be changed according to the article).
What race the actors are, and whether they're Japanese or not, clearly isn't even a consideration for Warner.
What matters is will they draw the ticket buyers to make money off this project.

Given Hollywood's history with anime properties the steps being taken by WB is going to assure failure, regardless the reasons behind them.

Quote:
Therefore, for Mr. Takei to make the racist comments he did shows just how crass he was being when he tweeted them.
To me it also makes Mr. Takei look like a washed up has-been of an actor, and that's sad because I do (or did) actually like him.

It sucks being an activist as people like you will disregard past achievements and sully a person's name just because their stance on a topic disagrees with yours.

Also Sukiyaki Western Django is inspired by Westerns and is not an adaption of any one story. Now if WB wants to do a movie that is inspired by Akira they will get more leeway than an adaption.
The Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Gideon Krieg wrote:
The Overlord wrote:

I agree with you that the story of Akira should be taking place in Neo-Tokyo, and the cast should be Japanese (never mind Americans of Japanese descent).
However, that said, I'm not the one paying for this production and the people that are have chosen the USA as the setting and American actors to fill the roles.
Since the producers for the US film are fronting the money, they get the say on how the film will be produced and who will act in it.
They have to turn a profit and I assume they know how.
It doesn't matter what we want.
What matters is what will make the most amount of money.

I also grew up with Akira (the manga), and I don't particularly like that this film is set in the United States, but unfortunately it is.

It may not be fair, but since when is business ever fair?

Considering what an unprofitable mess Dragon Ball Evolution turned out to be, I doubt Hollywood knows how to make an adaption like this profitable. I'm of the opinion when you are adapting something, you should make as close to the source material as reasonably possible. Now somethings that worked in a comic or cartoon may not work on the silver screen and almost every adaption has to make some changes to work in a different medium, but it should always be true to the spirit of the original work, rather then being a word for word adaption. It seems to me these changes are not true to the spirit of the original work. Almost all successful adaption are true to the spirit of the original work.
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Then don't sign the petition, don't hide information because proves your stance wrong.

There's nothing new in the advocate article and that was clear.
You're clearly grasping at straws now.
The advocate article actually supports my position and they don't make any bones about it in the interview when Mr. Takei said this:

Quote:
Can you name one bankable Asian-American star? No. There isn’t.

There have been plenty of "bankable" Asian stars both past and present.
Mr. Takei is clearly lying here unless he's getting so old he's gotten senile and forgotten about Bruce Lee, Jet Lee, Pat Morita, Jackie Chan, Sho Kasugi, Lucy Liu, Meg Tilly (American of Chinese descent), Anna May Wong, Brenda Song, etc., et nausium.

Maybe HE is not bankable anymore, but that's too bad.

Quote:
He did not do that. He clearly cites the mistakes and past failures that match what is being done to Akira now.

Please go back and re-read the advocate interview.
Mr. Takei said this:

Quote:
The same thing happened with M. Night Shyamalan. He cast his project [The Last Airbender] with non-Asians and it’s an Asian story, and the film flopped.

Mr. Takei is basing his complaint on race, not content, not the dialog, not the quality of the acting, but the color/race of the actors.

There's no defending that, as it's straight up racism.

Quote:
Well if Asian-American actors were on the list of prospective leads then this issue would not even exist in the first place.
It is the list of candidates that has specifically singled out those actors, not Mr.Takei. The issue he is talking about is one of race not nationality.

Why should it matter what race the actors are?
If the only criteria is that the actor's performance be one of high quality, then the race of the actor/actress shouldn't matter.
Clearly there are no actors/actresses capable of getting Warner Bros. attention enough for them to approve casting them.
If there were, they'd get top billing since Warner makes it's decisions based on profit not prejudice.

Mr. Takei whining about the race of the lead actors in this Americanized version of Akira is racist--end of story.
I can only point this out in so many ways as it should be crystal clear to anyone reading the man's comments.

Quote:
Given Hollywood's history with anime properties the steps being taken by WB is going to assure failure, regardless the reasons behind them.

That's nonsense.
We don't know whether it will or will not fail.
A great cast of actors (irregardless of race), a well written script, high-quality special effects/CG, a great musical score, and proper marketing will determine whether this film sinks or swims.
Not some ideologically driven activist drivel.

If this new Akira movie fails it will be because it's being Americanized into a cheap ripp-off of the original story with the setting now in Manhattan Island/New York City rather than Neo-Tokyo.
The race of the actors won't matter one iota.

The fate of this movie will depend on the quality of how its produced and nothing more.
Look at The Ring.
That was a Japanese movie Americanized with a great cast of actors, an excellent script, and special effects.
It was very successful.

Quote:
It sucks being an activist as people like you will disregard past achievements and sully a person's name just because their stance on a topic disagrees with yours.

I'm going to ignore that comment.
There's no need to make this more personal than it has become already.

Quote:

Also Sukiyaki Western Django is inspired by Westerns and is not an adaption of any one story. Now if WB wants to do a movie that is inspired by Akira they will get more leeway than an adaption.

Again you're wrong.
Sukiyaki Western Django is based on the Italian movie Django.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060315/

Last edited by Gideon Krieg on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:

Considering what an unprofitable mess Dragon Ball Evolution turned out to be, I doubt Hollywood knows how to make an adaption like this profitable. I'm of the opinion when you are adapting something, you should make as close to the source material as reasonably possible. Now somethings that worked in a comic or cartoon may not work on the silver screen and almost every adaption has to make some changes to work in a different medium, but it should always be true to the spirit of the original work, rather then being a word for word adaption. It seems to me these changes are not true to the spirit of the original work. Almost all successful adaption are true to the spirit of the original work.

Agreed.
The actors in live action DBZ were atrocious: wooden, and not believable.
The dialog was pathetic, the action scenes looked forced/fake, the special effects were 80s-esc, I could go on.
It was as cheap rip-off.
Speed Racer on the other hand was quite good, and DVD sales were actually not that bad for an Americanized version of a 1960s anime.

http://www.the-numbers.com/interactive/newsStory.php?newsID=3727

However, that said, I have no doubt the odds are against this Akira movie being a success.
Not because of the race of the actors, but because of the Americanization of the story of Akira itself.
The Ring did well because it stayed true to the story in many ways, but we're already seeing Warner Bros. alter Akira in what I view is a bad way.
Kind of like what Shyamala did with the Last Airbender movie.
While M. Night Shyamala is a hit-or-miss director to begin with (the Village is a good example of one of his flops, while The Sixth Sense was a great success) I can't knock the Last Airbender movie too much.
The Last Airbender has gone on to be an international success making over $320,000,000 dollars at the box office, so it may only be American audiences that had a problem with the movie.
That fact also cuts deeply into George Takei's claim that The Last Airbender was a failure since internationally it's not.

Nevertheless, Overlord, you and I are in agreement on this film.
For Akira to be successful in my opinion, it really needs to be in the post-apocalyptic setting of Neo-Tokyo for the viewers to get the full impact of the story.
It should be set in Japan, not the United States, and the cast ought to be Japanese.
However, clearly Warner doesn't think that will be profitable and I would imagine they know better than we do.

*reason for edit: Post needed to be cleaned up.

Last edited by Gideon Krieg on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Gideon Krieg wrote:

Please go back and re-read the advocate interview.
Mr. Takei said this:

Quote:
The same thing happened with M. Night Shyamalan. He cast his project [The Last Airbender] with non-Asians and it’s an Asian story, and the film flopped.

I love George Takei but he's unfortunately wrong on this point:

The film was a massive critical failure, for sure, and is widely considered (and rightfully so) to be one of the worst movies ever made, but it did just fine in theaters.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac: Everyone wanted Airbender to flop, but I guess you could at least say it was disappointing, given its budget.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The film was a massive critical failure, for sure, and is widely considered (and rightfully so) to be one of the worst movies ever made, but it did just fine in theaters.

And god bless the Dumb American Consumers!!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why should it matter what race the actors are?
If the only criteria is that the actor's performance be one of high quality, then the race of the actor/actress shouldn't matter.
Clearly there are no actors/actresses capable of getting Warner Bros. attention enough for them to approve casting them.
If there were, they'd get top billing since Warner makes it's decisions based on profit not prejudice.

There are clearly no other actors capable? Complete bull -
James Kyson Lee, Daniel Dae Kim, Masi Oka, John Cho, Will Yun Lee, Sung Kang, and my personal fav Rick Yune are all ahead of Justin Timberlake in terms of acting ability and are only behind Joaquin Phoenix in general fame. But hey believe what you want to believe, of course the only actors capable of meeting WB's expectations happen to be on that shortlist and just happen to all be white.

Quote:
If this new Akira movie fails it will be because it's being Americanized into a cheap ripp-off of the original story with the setting now in Manhattan Island/New York City rather than Neo-Tokyo.
The race of the actors won't matter one iota.

The Hollywood creative process that is slowly inking out the Akira from Akira. Changing the race of the characters part of the issue along with the setting and possible name changes(rumor from cinemablend).

Quote:

Mr. Takei whining about the race of the lead actors in this Americanized version of Akira is racist--end of story.
I can only point this out in so many ways as it should be crystal clear to anyone reading the man's comments.

His actions are no more racist than WB's treatment of Akira. Framing WBs actions as what is best for profits doesn't make their decisions any less racist.

Quote:
I'm going to ignore that comment.
There's no need to make this more personal than it has become already.

All I did was say what you did by calling Mr. Takei a washed up has-been who you no longer like. This conversation is only as personal as you made it.

Quote:
That's nonsense.
We don't know whether it will or will not fail.
A great cast of actors (irregardless of race), a well written script, high-quality special effects/CG, a great musical score, and proper marketing will determine whether this film sinks or swims.
Not some ideologically driven activist drivel.

It is not nonsense. It is a harsh history lesson about anime adaptions in Hollywood.
If that is all that's needed then why bother using Akira as the base? Make up a totally new story structured around New York and tailored for white actors. Putting the name of Akira onto an adaption project attaches an already established fanbase and sets an expectation of the project being an adaption, not a story loosely based on Katsuhiro Otomo's novel. Sorry you can't want to take the existing fans money as a positive and hand-wave their expectations, the two are fused together.

Quote:
Again you're wrong.
Sukiyaki Western Django is based on the Italian movie Django.

It has the name as a subtitle and contains some references to story but it is not adapted or based on Django. There is a world of difference between works that are inspired by other stories and stories that are adaptions of a single story.
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

There are clearly no other actors capable? Complete bull -
James Kyson Lee, Daniel Dae Kim, Masi Oka, John Cho, Will Yun Lee, Sung Kang, and my personal favorite Rick Yune are all ahead of Justin Timberlake in terms of acting ability and are only behind Joaquin Phoenix in general fame. But hey believe what you want to believe, of course the only actors capable of meeting WB's expectations happen to be on that shortlist and just happen to all be white.

No it's not bull, it is clearly a fact based on the list Warner Bros has generated whose racial composition is obviously coincidence. Unless of course you're willing to stake the claim that Warner Bros. is a white supremest organization?

If there were any Asian actors, Native American actors, Americans-of-African descent, Americans-of-Indian descent, Latin Americans, etc. that WB considered suitable for the lead roles in this movie then they'd be on the shortlist.
The "pull" of the actors is as much a factor as their acting ability.
You also have to take into consideration that Asian actors (other than Takei) might not want anything to do with this Akira movie.
And I wouldn't blame them if that were the case.
Considering that screenrant reports that one of the newer scripts replaces the name Tetsuo with Travis.

Screenrant even goes so far as to report that the name Kaneda was American enough to keep which further indicates WB is Americanizing the hell out of this movie.
Clearly WB is concerned that American movie goers will not pay to see an anime-to-live-action adaptation and is thus trying to "sanitize" as much of the movie as possible.
Therefore, WB's picks for actors/actresses makes perfect sense in so far as trying to select the top-billing people for the job.
This shows how flawed Mr. Takei's racist rants are and how he is simply looking for bigotry where it does not exist.
I wish instead he would go for the throat of the real problem.
That being Warner Brothers' total Americanization, and by extension butchering, of this magnificent Japanese cyberpunk epic.
The more I read about what WB plans on doing to Akira, the more I cringe at the thought of this movie being produced.
Honestly at this point I wish the project would just end.

Quote:
The Hollywood creative process that is slowly inking out the Akira from Akira. Changing the race of the characters part of the issue along with the setting and possible name changes(rumor from cinemablend).

Yes Hollywood is bleeding the life out of Akira, so you and I are in agreement here without doubt.
Using American actors makes sense since the movie takes place in New York city.
Which is the first major problem.
The story was meant for Neo-Tokyo not Neo-Manhattan or any place else but Japan.

Quote:

His actions are no more racist than WB's treatment of Akira. Framing WBs actions as what is best for profits doesn't make their decisions any less racist.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Although, I wouldn't call WB's treament of Akira racist.
It's simple commercialism and the attempt at plundering the great Sci-Fi stories of Japan since Hollywood has become creatively destitute as of late.
Don't get me wrong, WB is really pissing me off with what they're doing to Akira, but it's not racism, it's plunder and Mr. Takei should know this.
Trying to use this bad situation (the Americanization of Akira) to boost one's own cause is just as bad as what WB is doing to Akira.

Quote:
All I did was say what you did by calling Mr. Takei a washed up has-been who you no longer like. This conversation is only as personal as you made it.

Unless you're George Takei, you shouldn't get emotional about how I feel about the man in this issue.

Quote:
It is not nonsense. It is a harsh history lesson about anime adaptions in Hollywood.
If that is all that's needed then why bother using Akira as the base? Make up a totally new story structured around New York and tailored for white actors. Putting the name of Akira onto an adaption project attaches an already established fanbase and sets an expectation of the project being an adaption, not a story loosely based on Katsuhiro Otomo's novel. Sorry you can't want to take the existing fans money as a positive and hand-wave their expectations, the two are fused together.

That is a good question.
I'll try to answer it.

Methinks that Warner is trying to capitalize on the Akira title to try and bring in the fanbase (as you pointed out) while at the same time trying to expand the demographic with an Americanized story and cast.
To me, that's a recipe for disaster, but I haven't seen the finished product yet so I don't know.
Perhaps, WB can pull off what few have been able to in the past.
Perhaps not.
My personal opinion is that Warner should just scrap the whole Akira title, make a new movie loosely based on Akira, and call it something else.
I would think that would satisfy the fanbase of Akira (like myself) and maybe get something new and unique in the process.

Quote:
It has the name as a subtitle and contains some references to story but it is not adapted or based on Django. There is a world of difference between works that are inspired by other stories and stories that are adaptions of a single story.

Now you're just splitting hairs.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
WB is hacking away at the story, setting, and characters in some odd attempt to one-up what Katsuhiro Otomo accomplished. What Takei surmises is that these changes will doom the film, I agree. There is no need to sugarcoat it as Americanization when whitewash hits the nail on the head. When a few of the actors are not even American the idea that Akira is being Americanized is not even valid.

There is no need to belabor it, regardless of the reasons that most concern you, the cumulative changes to Akira looks like it is a failure in the making.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12