• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Turning 100

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
Two day belated 100th congratulations sis. =P

This was easily one of the best shelf life's (totally improper grammar =P) in a long time. Partially because of the sheer volume of reviewed stuff crammed into the column, but also that because they're thinpaks (or box sets, whatever), in which at least most parts of the series, if not all of the series, has been watched enough to make a overall rating of the series, as opposed to a one volume review which could write off a whole series as crap, dispite it's more than worthy merits in other discs. *cough... someone else...*

Yay. I'm glad to see my Chrono Crusade purchase wasn't a terrible waste. =P

Wonderful column you got here. =D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
Would I sound like a ol' big dork if I admitted I picked up the Dirty Pair movie thinpack just to watch 3 minutes of animation by Koji Morimoto at the beginning of Project Eden? ...Yeah, I would... ^^;

Also, your new Grocery Contest = Most Awesome Contest Ever. What brought about this sudden fit of inspiration? I already have both of this week's "normal" prizes, so I'll do my very best to be good, but not quite good enough, in order to snag a consolation prize! Anime smile (joking...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
one3rd wrote:
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
...if you like looking at...characters who rarely move.

You may not have noticed this, but that's anime in general.

Wow, you're a really dedicated fan, one3rd. Makes me wonder why you even became involved in anime in the first place.

It's common knowledge that anime is based on limited animation. In general, things are animated just enough to make them work. Being aware of this reality doesn't make anyone less of a fan.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Recommendations for thinkpaks are pretty much what I expected them to be.

Oh well, dont want to muddle this occasion. So, in the spirit of Thumper Ideology; Congrats on 100!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Would I sound like a ol' big dork if I admitted I picked up the Dirty Pair movie thinpack just to watch 3 minutes of animation by Koji Morimoto at the beginning of Project Eden? ...Yeah, I would... ^^;

Also, your new Grocery Contest = Most Awesome Contest Ever. What brought about this sudden fit of inspiration? I already have both of this week's "normal" prizes, so I'll do my very best to be good, but not quite good enough, in order to snag a consolation prize! Anime smile (joking...)
For the life of me I can't think of anything in a supermarket that is "graceful" unless it's a "buy-one-get-one-free", what we lovingly call a "BOGOFf" Wink, on a bottle of Highland Park 12-year-old single malt whisky. Cool
Shorty22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Ha ha. I have an advantage over everybody in the contest because I work at a grocery store (a fairly large one) and know all of the foods and items in it... I just felt like saying that.

Ha ha, so do I. Rolling Eyes Plus I have an anime friend also working there who can contribute ideas. Oh, and there's two other grocery stores practically right next to my house that I frequent because I hate going to work when it's my days off and for good sales. Just saying... Wink

Congrats on 100! Some of these pictures should be interesting... Anime catgrin
Rion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Awesome rewviews..

Lots of box sets this time, now i have to pick them up.
Ahhhh, so much to buy... Crying or Very sad

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Partially because of the sheer volume of reviewed stuff crammed into the column, but also that because they're thinpaks (or box sets, whatever),

Actually, I'm not even done yet. This week was just all the boxsets I had sitting on hand. I'll be doing Part II next time with all the other boxsets that were released, that I didn't have, like all the Bandai and Geneon stuff. Along with regular shelf life. I don't know how I'm going to format it yet. ;p
pawnsacrifice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
biliano wrote:
one3rd wrote:
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
...if you like looking at...characters who rarely move.

You may not have noticed this, but that's anime in general.

Wow, you're a really dedicated fan, one3rd. Makes me wonder why you even became involved in anime in the first place.

It's common knowledge that anime is based on limited animation. In general, things are animated just enough to make them work. Being aware of this reality doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

One3rd speaks the truth. Even if you don't notice it yourself, any anime class at a university will tell you this.
Great Shelf Life this week by the way. I hope I can win one of those dvds.
Aristophanes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Anyone notice how nearly all the products were ADV?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Aristophanes wrote:

This might have something to do with the fact that ADV is the only company producing that many thinpaks. There's a lot of product from them, so it gets reviewed.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Aristophanes wrote:

Look at the post two above yours.
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that loved Those Who Hunt Elves? I thought the show was freakin hilarious! Who could not love a cuddly teddy bear that shats full rolls of toliet paper? It was whacky but so funny and all the characters were awesome. Very Happy I don't have the thinpak set - got them as they came out...

It's sad though. I have 14 of ADV's thinpaks from this year. That's like 80% of all anime I purchased in 2005. Still haven't watched them all either. Will probably take all of 06 to get through my backlog. Then again, I lost my job earlier this month so I have the time. Very Happy
Awesome Possum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
kittycatgirl2k wrote:
Am I the only one that loved Those Who Hunt Elves? I thought the show was freakin hilarious! Who could not love a cuddly teddy bear that shats full rolls of toliet paper? It was whacky but so funny and all the characters were awesome. Very Happy I don't have the thinpak set - got them as they came out...

It's sad though. I have 14 of ADV's thinpaks from this year. That's like 80% of all anime I purchased in 2005. Still haven't watched them all either. Will probably take all of 06 to get through my backlog. Then again, I lost my job earlier this month so I have the time. Very Happy

I love Those Who Hunt Elves too. I was disappointed with the review. Nuku Nuku should've been shelf worthy too. It's a classic. I can watch it even now and still laugh at it.
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I love Nuku Nuku too! I definitely think it is Shelf Worthy as well... the OVA was one of the first anime I bought on DVD and still love to watch it. That catgirl is just such a fun character. Those Who Hunt Elves is definitely not Trash!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4