• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-01-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheShadow99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote
I'll skip the argument on american vs Japanese animation in the Databse...

Instead I'll mention that for earrings you should look at Mai-Hime Otome (or Mai Otome as everyone seems to translate it, though I'm still not sure why since it pretty clearly shows 'hime' in the title). All the main female characters wear earrings (of which their are dozens), they in fact have a specific role in the series. It's the largest use of earrings in an anime series I've ever seen.

On the other hand I can name other series (like Black Cat, Cowboy bebop, etc) that also make use of earrings for the female characters. I think with the newer animation techniques fewer character designers and animation teams feel a need to leave them off anymore...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote
Maybe "Mai Otohime" would be closer, since the 乙 in the title before "hime" is read "oto." However, I think the katakana on the lower right of the title are indicators of what they feel the title should be, and they say マイオトメ Mai Otome.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
And what of TransFormers: The Movie? Where would you put an American production of a Japanese franchise? For that matter, was it re-imported to Japan under the title "Transformers the Movie: Mokushiroku Matrix yo eien ni" as IMDB lists it?

I love grey areas.

Not anime, but anime related- remember, the movie and the following TV season (readapted into 2010 and slightly rewritten/rearranged, of course) did lay the groundwork for Headmasters and so on. Same could be said for Beast Wars, which spearheaded the Japanese-only Beast Wars Anime II, Neo, and The Movie.

GATSU: Glad to know we can still rely on our residential Harry Knowles/IMDB forum kid-knockoff to talk more outdated, silly crap.
Freak24/7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:04 am Reply with quote
On the Aeon Flux note, it should be considered an international collaboration, as it uses talent from Korea, the US and Japan.

on the Lion King question (forgive me Zac, I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion of the Kimba/Lion king debate) I suggest you check this site out.

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

It uses many sorces to defend its argument and looks to be fairly well researched.

BTW....As much as I love pandas, I must vote for kittens!
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:

Oh, and I vote for kitties!

Zac, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find pictures of pandas and kitties together.

and ferrets...I like ferrets.

-Franky
linlinchan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think there's a substantial culture difference between North America and Japan when it comes to wearing earrings, but one thing's for sure; earrings are a fairly small detail to draw on an animated character, and it's a detail most animators would prefer to leave out to avoid serious continuity errors. I can guarantee you that animation character designers, who are trained to streamline character designs so they're easily animated, leave things like earrings and excessive jewelry out. It just isn't very easy to animate, and an earring - which in most scenes will be just a dot on the character's ear - is a detail that could be easily forgotten on a frame-by-frame basis.

I would be willing to bet that now-a-days, animation is a large reason as to why animators don't use earings much, but actually, many offices and schools still ban girls from piercing their ears, because the Japanese still have a cultural resistance regarding putting holes in their bodies, even in the case of ears.
This is gradually changing, but the perception, to older generations, would be that of an American piercing the side of their nose... more and more common, yes, and the cultural stigma around it is beginning to disappear, but there are still places you wouldn't be able to work, for example with your little nose piercing in.[/quote]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
mangajunky wrote:
shadow_guyver wrote:

Oh, and I vote for kitties!

Zac, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find pictures of pandas and kitties together.

and ferrets...I like ferrets.

-Franky

I could have sworn Zac said he was going to replace the "Flake of the Week" section with a picture section, not switch animals.

I'm pretty sure this column isn't a democracy, but I'll vote for keeping the "Flake of the Week" section. As for animals, I have no preference as long as they are cute.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I could have sworn Zac said he was going to replace the "Flake of the Week" section with a picture section, not switch animals.

I'm pretty sure this column isn't a democracy, but I'll vote for keeping the "Flake of the Week" section. As for animals, I have no preference as long as they are cute.

I've thought about it, but yeah, I agree with you. Plus, I don't want to have to make new graphics. The pictures are fun but I like to include the really terrible emails I get on occasion. It's just that there isn't always one to print (or there isn't always one I can print).

As for all this Transformers/Aeon Flux/Starship Troopers nonsense, all I can say is that Aeon Flux and Transformers absolutely fit within the "Not anime, but related" category while Roughnecks has absolutely zero connection to anime whatsoever, therefore it does not belong. The end.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I vote for a koala.
chibigb2000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Go with the panda!!!
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Bunnies!!! Bunnies rule!!! I vote for bunnies! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
maus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Bika-chan wrote:
Bunnies!!! Bunnies rule!!! I vote for bunnies! Very Happy

NO! no Bunnies! Bunnies are EVIL! Evil, I tell you!!!
They have sharp teeth and can kill people on sight! If you don't believe me, watch Monty Python and the quest for the Holy Grail! Twisted Evil
Let's stay with the kittens, they're small, fluffy and sooooo adorable. Anime hyper
Space Goats

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I've thought about it, but yeah, I agree with you. Plus, I don't want to have to make new graphics. The pictures are fun but I like to include the really terrible emails I get on occasion. It's just that there isn't always one to print (or there isn't always one I can print).

As for all this Transformers/Aeon Flux/Starship Troopers nonsense, all I can say is that Aeon Flux and Transformers absolutely fit within the "Not anime, but related" category while Roughnecks has absolutely zero connection to anime whatsoever, therefore it does not belong. The end.

If you'd like I'll take some time every week to write out a nice flakey email for you to use in your column.

Also, other characters who wear earrings include Misato and Ristsuko in Evangelion.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Of course. And when there aren't, cute pics are always nice.

Space Goats wrote:
If you'd like I'll take some time every week to write out a nice flakey email for you to use in your column.

Naw. It's funnier when they are real.
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Great column as usual. Sad that there is no contest, but oh well. I think each week should include an exotic pet, and then a traditional kitten. In curiousity, where did you get the idea for kitten photos?

Thanks,
Azumangaman
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4