• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overrated and underrated anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skullone

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to read your opinions on which anime you find overrated and which you consider to be underrated. OK, many of us think that a certain anime is the pinnacle of this art, but I'm sure you've all said "is that it?", after watching an anime you've heard so much about or have found something that you believe to be a rough diamond. So, let's see what you think. Later, I'll post mine too.
Kagato

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Z is definitely overrated.What is so interesting about people beating the crap out of each other over and over again!It has nostory or interesting parts!Please remove it!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:53 pm Reply with quote
All right, I'm game.

I'd like to start with the overrated anime. It's a list of some length, and at its top is Hellsing. Yes, I liked Hellsing too. But it was not the "next Cowboy Bebop" everyone was saying it would be. Its "style" was sacrificed too far in, and its writing became haphazard too soon. I'd also say that Blood: The Last Vampire and Ninja Scroll were overhyped. Their art didn't make up for their incoherent and mindless (respectively) stories.

Now, as far as underrated anime goes, Cosmo Warrior Zero (one of the more recent chapters in Harlock history) is both well-dubbed and well animated, plus is by the legend himself, Leiji Matsumoto. Why is it brought up so infrequently?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I think Please Save My Earth doesn't get as much acclaim as it oughta, but I haven't seen it in a while. Maybe I'm overrating it based on a several-years-out-of-date opinion. I need to rewatch it.

The first Tenchi movie is WAY overrated. Sure, it's pretty; great art direction and shot composition, but to what end? The story doesn't grow out of the specificity of the characters; any characters could have been shoehorned into the same brittle-boned plot. I wanted to like it for having a mellow, ambling story, but it just didn't cohere into anything substantal. The second Tenchi movie, while far from being a masterpiece, had a story that developed out of the characters, and had more narrative finesse. The closing-credits montage was a splendid fulfillment of the sentimental potential in the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ramen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Overrated? That's easy. Evangelion

Underrated, I would have to say Crest of the Stars. It's a fantastic series, but I hear almost nothing about it.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone said Eva was underrated. I also knew whomever did so whouldn't give any reason for this verdict. Love it or hate it, Eva is an essential link in the artistic development of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:
Overrated? That's easy. Evangelion

Underrated, I would have to say Crest of the Stars. It's a fantastic series, but I hear almost nothing about it.

Crest of the Stars has some serious pacing issues that will probably keep it from reaching a wide audience. But pacing aside, I love that show--and everyone else should, too! ^_^ CotS and the two series that follow are certainly worth your time if you're looking for a great story.

So yeah, I'd say it's underrated.

Add Boogiepop Phantom to that list. Bizarre stuff, but in a good way.

Evangelion's more difficult to judge. When I think overrated, shows like Noir, .hack, and Melty Lancer come to mind, mediocre series that receive -far- too much publicity from industry and fans. But I'll maintain that Evangelion is a fantastic, revolutionary piece of animation, so I could never bring myself to call it overrated.
Ramen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone said Eva was underrated. I also knew whomever did so whouldn't give any reason for this verdict. Love it or hate it, Eva is an essential link in the artistic development of anime.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I actually liked Eva. But, when you put a sticker on the box saying it's the best anime ever, I'm going to say it's overrated...
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Overrated: Evangelion, Kite, Lain, almost anything from CLAMP or Rumiko Takahashi (save RG Veda and Maison Ikkoku), Trigun, Big O, Bebop, Bubble Gum Crisis, anything from the Fukushima, Final Fantasy,
One Piece(at least based on my opinion of the manga which I assume is the same), DNA2, Kenshin.

Underrated: Anything from Go Nagai which isn't Cutey Honey, Fist of the North Star the movie, Roujin Z, A.D. Police, most of Rin Taro's movies (except for X), the World Record segment of the Animatrix, the Stink Bomb chapter of Memories.
Kagato

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Underrated is definately Lainand 3x3 eyes.
Jlbkwrm
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about overrated, but I do think Eva is overrecommended. It's a weird show. It is a unique show. It is a popular show. It is not, IMO, the first thing everyone who posts a "Just getting in to this anime thing, what do I watch next?" thread should be told to watch. It's not really representitive of the rest of anime, so I think it makes a poor intro.

For underrated and overrated... I don't know. It's all a matter of perspective. Magical Project S is probably the only title I can think of that didn't make much of a splash anywhere, despite being good.

And, yeah, I'd agree Please Save My Earth needs more attention. I think the lack of an ending hurts it more than anything.

Overrated, I'd go with Excel Saga. I really like the show, but nothing could live up to the giant ball of hype that was building prior to release. It's fun, it's stupid, and it's somewhat disjointed, but it is not, IMO, the funniest thing ever.

Azumanga Daioh is shaping up to be a fitting successor to the hype. It looks decent, but word of mouth makes it sound like the One True Savior of anime.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:21 pm Reply with quote
As I've blathered, I don't Eva is overrated, but it probably is overhyped. Thus the stickers.

I like the end of PSME, but I seem to be the only one. I like the fact that it gives a sort of poetic thematic resolution and leaves the plot resolution hanging. It's kind of like life, which doesn't have any final plot resolution but which can reach moral/emotional resolutions.

What I've seen of Trouble Chocolate was a lot of fun; I liked it better than Excel Saga as far as recent goofy comedies go.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Overrated:
DBZ
Anything made by Clamp

Evangelion
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop

Underrated:
Outlaw Star
KO Century Beast
(That might change on how received Right Stuf's DVD releases go.)
Ryu Knight
Hakkenden
Night of the Galactic Railroad

Don't get me wrong, I happen to like CB but even I know it's overrated. The others that are Overrated in my list, I happen to not like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Akira the king of overated anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:25 pm Reply with quote
The reason Evangelion is overrated is that the fans think if media makes obscure references that only those who do the research would fully comprehend, being aware of that useless information creates the
disillusion that they're somehow more intellectually superior to the masses. (That's how Tarantino became successful.) And if it glamorizes anti-social behavior(be it injecting heroine into your veins like in Trainspotting or pleasuring yourself over a comatose patient as Shinji does in the movies), people believe that the media is speaking to them as individuals. ("Even though there are many of us who share the love of Marilyn Manson's nihilistic music, we're still not conformists like the majority of people who saturate their senses with Britney Spears." Sorry, but you're just exchanging one group for another.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9