• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overrated and underrated anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
Name one better then.
oh you can't...

You are putting out a challenge to someone who posted 8½ years ago. Confused

I doubt they'll read your challenge.

I'm actually re-watching NGE at the moment. Although I'm enjoying it more than I did the first time around, it's very dated. It really has a 90s feel to it. Anime has changed completely since then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is aimed squarely at a narrow fanboy segment of the audience.

Whoever it was aimed at it is much more popular than your average anime targeted at otaku. End of Evangelion got Japanese Academy Prize for "Public Sensation of the Year". Eva 2.0 made $40m in Japanese box office and had 800 000 BD/DVD preorders. That seems far beyond narrow fanboy segment to me.
davem1992ftw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
Overrated - Ouran High School Host Club - GAH I HATE THIS ANIME

Underrated - Rave Master - Don't understand all the hate
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Under-rated Examples: Real Drive

I'd agree with this, I thought both the premise of the show and its animation/character designs were excellent. I was active on ANN at the time it was airing and I don't recall it getting a lot of love. A true shame.
wcsinn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Evangelion is overrated. It is aimed squarely at a narrow fanboy segment of the audience. ... Do you really think the mainstream audience that watched My Neighbor Totoro and Only Yesterday could have appreciated that series? I doubt that

You are entitled to believe Evangelion is over-rated, ratings being an entirely subjective topic, but the rest of the statement unfortunately shows a great deal of ignorance concerning the topic.

Evangelion is one of the most successful franchises (arguably the most successful) in anime. It was simply a phenomenon when it first aired, both in Japan and abroad. Since it's debut in 1995 it has had two additional projects to help explain and/or re-cap the original - Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion, plus the current ongoing Rebuild of Evangelion movie series. In addition to the remakes, merchandise for Evangelion is prolific; one catalog devoted exclusively to Evangelion in 1997 consisted of 144 pages, Evangelion has been used to market merchandise ranging from automobiles to wetsuits, and expensive items such as a "$900 laser engraved Rei crystal paperweight.

In July 2010, Fuji-Q Highland opened a 1,460m2 section devoted to Evangelion, featuring a lifesize entry plug & statue of Mari Makinami & a 3-meter titanium Lance of Longinus, NERV hallways with character cutouts that lead to a hangar room with the 1:1 bust of Eva Unit-01, SEELE monoliths, appropriate cosplay, Eva-themed hotel rooms, and food products. A bust of Eva Unit-02 from a scene in Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 was announced in 2011 and has since been installed.

In 1995, the series won first place in the reader-polled "Best Loved Series" category of the Anime Grand Prix, and won again in 1996. From Wikipedia, "when commentator Eiji Ōtsuka sent a letter to the Yomiuri Shimbun, complaining about the end of the Evangelion series, the debate went nationwide. It is worth noting that the ending received such coverage in part because Evangelion had attracted viewers not typically interested in such fare; the TV series was extremely popular."

I could go on, but I'd say the overwhelming evidence is that Evangelion is and was highly regarded, commercially among reviewers and by fans, it was and remains one of the best known series in anime, it's characters are still 20+ years later commonly used in marketing campaigns. Not liking something is fine, different tastes for everyone, but try to get the facts straight before you present your opinion as facts.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The most overrated anime for me is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Airing the episodes out of order was just a gimmick to hide the fact that the show was mediocre, at best. I couldn't relate to or sympathize with any of the characters, and I didn't find Kyon's monologues to be funny at all. In short, it failed for me.

I also feel Fruits Basket is overrated. It's the most popular shojo here in America (save for Sailor Moon) and gets praised for being romantic, having sympathetic, fleshed-out characters and a great balance between drama and comedy...except I feel that there are tons of other shojo that do a better job of portraying these exact same elements. Namely Kodocha, which I feel is underrated since it didn't sell well here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
cl-shojo wrote:
The most overrated anime for me is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Airing the episodes out of order was just a gimmick to hide the fact that the show was mediocre, at best.

I thought the show was actually interesting of its own accord. But, I agree with you about the gimmicky broadcast order. Airing the episodes out of chronological order was obviously intended to make the show seem better than it actually was. When the episodes are watched in chronological order (as they were on the Madman DVD releases) it becomes obvious that the show merely cherrypicked bits and pieces from different novels. If the show built a cohesive structure and then told it out of chronological order - such as in The Prestige - then that can work great. But that's not what Haruhi did.
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
OK why are we posting on a 7 year old topic?
shadow13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion isn't overrated, its controversial making viewers either love it or hate it with little area between. And the haters will jump on anything to trash it.
I think Gundam Wing is overrated, it may just be me but when ever I meet a gundam fan they have only seen Wing and think it is the best and only gundam series, in truth I find that there is nothing special to it,
EricDent wrote:
OK why are we posting on a 7 year old topic?

probably because key or some other mod will lock any new thread because this already exists.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Here is one I think is possibly underrated:

Birdy the Mighty. She's cute. She serves up a lot of action. She is working in a reasonable light hearted story and has some decent supporting cast. Yet it seems everyone has been a little lukewarm, except a few cosplayers.

It came to mind because there is a banner ad on the front page for it now.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Overrated- Haruhi
Underrated- Inukami
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Here is one I think is possibly underrated:

Birdy the Mighty. She's cute. She serves up a lot of action. She is working in a reasonable light hearted story and has some decent supporting cast. Yet it seems everyone has been a little lukewarm, except a few cosplayers.

It came to mind because there is a banner ad on the front page for it now.

I liked Birdy the Mighty Decode a lot and most people that I've seen mention it here like it too, it's just that they aren't terrifically numerous. I've wondered for a while why it wasn't more popular, here or in Japan, where I understand it to have sold very poorly on home video. I guess that the franchise, such as it is, is just cursed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Having just finally located a translated version of King of Thorn I had to revive this thread, because I think it falls into this catagory. I think this movie also deserves more acclaim than it gets and needs to be watched by more people. It's not without flaws, namely some of the animation, but the story was great and the characters were interesting.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
It really has a 90s feel to it. Anime has changed completely since then.

You know saying that about a series that aired in the 90s is just a matter of fact. Now if a series from this year feels like it aired 90s there might be some problems. Although I don't how anime has completely changed since then; a little, some movement, a story, some sploshuns and there you have it. What's old is new again because the more things change the more they stay the same.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Having just finally located a translated version of King of Thorn I had to revive this thread, because I think it falls into this catagory. I think this movie also deserves more acclaim than it gets and needs to be watched by more people. It's not without flaws, namely some of the animation, but the story was great and the characters were interesting.

I saw King of Thorn along with Redline and Evangelion 2.0 at the Reel Anime festival here in Melbourne in 2010. I thought it was the best of the three. I really liked its paranoid atmosphere. It seems unlikely there'll be a western release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9