• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
London MCM Expo...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masamun3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
To all,

I suppose one of the big ones for Anime fans in the South of the UK would be the London MCM Expo at the Excel Centre, 27-29th May 2012.

http://www.londonexpo.com/

I've been to it a couple of times in the past, and to be fair, it's a great place to get some bargains and stuff that you wouldn't normally be able to pick up without going through an importer.

There are many (many!) young people who go (I'm in the older bracket of anime fan), but the effort many of them put into Costumes and such like has to be applauded (for their guts in wearing it as well as their technical skills!).

The event is put up as a Comic-Con, however everytime I have been the emphasis has clearly been on anime and manga, in large part due to the Cosplay element.

Looking at the attending companies also shows an anime support: Neo Magazine, MVM, Manga, TokyoToys etc...

Bottom line - it's not a bad place to kill a Saturday.

Masamun3
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I plan to make a semiannual excursion to the Docklands once more. The exposium becomes a routine part of one's social calendar, and in my case it constitutes it almost entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Normally I'd avoid this like the pox; one because I hate driving into Central London, and two because I don't actually fit in with the usual convention suspects, but now I have a teenage daughter who wants to cosplay with her college mates and I've been designated as the driver so I'm biting the bullet and attending. I'm cosplaying myself hoping no one will notice, and if asked I can say I'm just the chauffeur et bagagiste from Pretear. Laughing
Truered

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind going, during my time at Uni, I went to each of the October expo's for three years in a row Very Happy

However it's odd- I don't like trains, given my sense of direction London is basically terrifying to me, and I mainly went to expos to look for figures/other merchandise- and I now have plenty- yet despite all of that I still want to go. Oh also I hate the crowds Laughing

I think it's a case of nostalgia combined with it being something a bit different from the norm.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
The train system is nothing to fear, Truered. Since you now have a few visits beneath your belt, so to speak, I expect you have a good idea of how to shuttle yourself to and from the docklands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
Just type in DLRR in TFL. Job's a good 'un.

Wink
Truered

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:11 am Reply with quote
So I hear having invited big brother (dear god which bastard resurrected that?) to the expo, there's now beginning to be quite a bit of fuss about how a national 'paper' (if you can call the daily star that) has apparently used pictures of cosplayers without consent while describing them as oddballs who dressed up to compete for a place on that piece of crap show.

A quote from a (oh god I never thought I'd have to use such a 'source') facebook group

Quote:
Thanks to Expo inviting Big Brother and giving them full press-rights, photos of cosplayers are already being used without their consent to help mock cosplayers as "oddballs, freaks and revellers looking for attention" in the Daily Star. The attendees expressed to Expo their concerns over this beforehand - ...they were ignored and told that cosplayers would not be photoed/videoed without permission... this did not happen. Expo have officially dismissed this with "Treat this as media hype and move on"

Expo admitted on their forums that they not only allowed it, but gave Big Brother press-passes. This means they gave Big Brother the permission to do this. They tried to cover up that Big Brother were attending, and when admitted it, assured people that they'd only be involved if they signed consent-forms. This was clearly a lie.

Oh and the mcm expo forums have been down for an 'upgrade' for at least 13 hours so far Wink

(though of course there probably wouldn't have been any way to stop a person buying tickets, taking photos and running some form of a story regardless)
Mime_Jnr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
im new to otaku etc, and none of my friends are into anime. i want to to this event but first i gotta make some anime crazy friends here.
been to the arena before and its kinda close by, im hoping they have stuff from older animes like ouran and toradora.
it sucks coz i may look like a kid but now that im 23 i feel like a old man,
DarkMeph

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
I have been to it in the past but I cannot go this year. I have enjoyed the experience.
rivnam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
isn't there an mcm expo this october?
Masamun3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Certainly is Rivnam, the link in the top post (and below) seems to be the static link they always use.

http://www.londonexpo.com/

Basically, it's on Between the 28th and 30th October, same place (Excel - London), normal pricing etc seems to apply...

Masamun3
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
This years London Expo has come and gone, unless you are talking about the Manchester Expo. Even if you are not including travel and entry in that tenner, it isn't going to last long just on drinks and snacks, let alone goodies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1