• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory complete collection
Toward the Terra part 1 & 2
- thought that that was the complete series, but I found out yesterday that there's a part 3 as well

edit: And just bought Toward the Terra part 3

Last edited by Ortensia1980 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
lem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I'm equally a fan of Bamboo Blade and Aria. I think they are similar in the quiet pace and the low key humor. However the subject matter is different. In this case its Shinto mythos.

The ancient folklore, Shinto stuff and the whole menagerie of mononoke was the furthest thing from my mind when I just clicked on buy. One look at my avatar and another at Ku-chan might explain what kinda influenced my purchase?Very Happy I'll be the first to admit, that was the attraction! Embarassed

GDFan wrote:
Are you guys still talking about Our Home's Fox Deity? Because those two other shows mentioned happen to be two of my all time favorites. A cross between Bamboo Blade and Aria would almost be too much for me to handle.

Character Ko, like Tamaki Kawazoe of BB is also on the petite side. And like Tamaki, she has this reserved demeanor, and is also very respectful and considerate of others,spoiler[ but will mess you up with her Dragon spirit if you attempt to harm Toru ] The disciplined nature of her role as a Guardian for Toru, also means she can be a little oblivious to some of the things that are taken for granted by others. That's what I meant by reminds me.

Our Home's Fox Deity also has a cast that ranges in ages from Grandma to young Toru. The introduction of all these characters is smooth and it feels just right for what it needs to do with them and the situations they're involved with. Hence the "it reminds me of Aria". Sorry for any confusion there GDFan.

Blood- wrote:

Man, I'm so jazzed that some peeps are looking into Our Home's Fox Deity. I think it is a criminally overlooked show. It's got some wonderful humour mixed in with some real heart.

From what I've seen (the first 2 discs) I have to say it also brings that heart without feeling forced spoiler[ I really liked Ku's dance by the river and Toru's response, that was just right. A gentle, believable family moment there, and just one more thing I'm enjoying about the show overall. ]
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
A few more purchases for the month, but barring anything crazy this should be about it. Taking advantage of the current Nozomi sale, I picked up:

Martian Successor Nadesico
Emma set 1
Emma set 2

I mainly wanted the Martian Successor Nadesico set, in large part just to get the Gekkiganger OAV since I have the ADV releases of the tv series and the movie. I added both Emma sets since I needed something to get me free shipping (although that's one of them paper tiger type arguments since I spent more than the shipping would have been) but also because I always felt like that show was probably one I might regret not getting down the road, so this seemed like as good a time as any to get it. If it's not my cup of tea, oh well, they can't all be winners.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
On a random visit to the mall, picked up from FYE Nerima Daikon Brothers Volume 1. I've been wanting to check out the series for awhile, and figured $5 was a safe enough bet for at least trying it out. My boyfriend and I both got into the "WTF?" factor of the show, so I'll definitely be looking to get the other two volumes eventually. Looks like Volume 2 with the artbox is pretty cheap, which is nice since I do like getting more neat artboxes for my collection, but I may have to pay a bit extra for Volume 3. Ah well.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I know better, but I decided to browse AmiAmi. I now have preorders in on:

Fate/stay night - Saber yukata version (LOVE!)
Fate/stay night - Illyana yukata version (Completionist!)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Sayaka Miki movie version (Requested by s.o.!)

Over budget for the month already when adding in estimated shipping, but I've been under a lot recently so it all works out.
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Man, I'm so jazzed that some peeps are looking into Our Home's Fox Deity.

So, spending my hard earned money makes you happy??? I can't blame you, since it also makes me happy Anime smile Buyer's remorse normally doesn't set in until late at night. Which is why I usually end up crying myself to sleep. Crying or Very sad I have no one else to blame, this is the path I chose...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I recently got the Blu Ray box sets for Steins;Gate part 1 and Strike Witches season 2.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Put in a small order for the final day of the Funimation sale.

Panty & Stocking LE BD
Tenchi OVA LE Combo
Tench Movie LE Combo

Each one is a double dip, and don't mind for any of them. First, PSG is PSG. I said when it was first shown that there was gonna be BD set for it that I don't care - it's more art and another art box for the show I love. The Tenchi stuff is more understandable since the BDs are quite the improvement over the DVDs. There were several more things I wanted to add like Baka and Test 2 and Level E, but I don't think those will sell out too fast and I'll pick them up later. Not much later, but later.

That should be all I'm getting this year, thank goodness. I just hope there's no extraordinary sales at Black Friday or Christmas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RightStufSpecialsMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I just hope there's no extraordinary sales at Black Friday or Christmas.

Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
RightStufSpecialsMinion wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
I just hope there's no extraordinary sales at Black Friday or Christmas.

Very Happy

DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!!! HE'S EVIL!!! Like, srsly.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Actually, the only thing that could really hurt me is a Katanagatari bundle. Maybe some select VNs I've had in my "Later" basket for a while, but that's about it.

*checks spreadsheet*

Nope, that's a lie. There are some potential bundles that could really tempt me. Hellsing Ultimate, FMA:B, and the Dirty Pair TV series. If Lain gets a big dip, that's a possibility, though I'm still unsure on the show itself (dat packaging). Even then, though, if they're not in the ~60% off range, I should be safe. I better be safe. God, I hope I'm safe.

Don't do this to me, Minion!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Eh, ya selfish sod, you should be okay. Katanagatari is the right age to have some sort of discount but NISA products don't tend to get super-juicy price chops. Same with Nozomi, so I don't expect anything startling for Dirty Pair. Hellsing Ultimate and the Lain BD are too new, so the likelihood of those being offered at jawdropping levels is pretty miniscule. The FMA:B earlier releases on DVD and BD are about the only thing on your list that could conceivably yield some notable discounts (the more recent Collections probably won't go supah-cheap).

All of which is to say we don't need your stinkin' "no sale" ju-ju messin' things up for the rest of us!
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Hanasaku Iroha BD vol. 1
Hanasaku Iroha BD vol. 2

Only 4 volumes left to buy (I already own 7-8-9)! I'm not quite used to the JP pricing yet, so I have to take it slowly. (-.-)
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

All of which is to say we don't need your stinkin' "no sale" ju-ju messin' things up for the rest of us!

If there are a few bundles here and there on stuff I want then I might consider some stuff in the xmas sales considering it will save me on shipping fees. Take for example the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Holiday Graphic Novel Bundle (Vols. 1-10) last year. I would have saved $31.50 in shipping fees (using the current international shipping charges).
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I got Hellsing Ultimate 1-4, shipped today!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 959 of 1399