• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:22 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
@maidenoftheredhand
Don't be too jealous--the first five weeks were intensive study! xD I got the art book at the huge Animate in Ikebukuro, but I think I also saw it at one or two K-Books, so I would recommend checking there if you get the chance. Smile

I was at that Animate last time (last December) but I have to admit I didn't see it. I don't remember seeing any of the art books actually. I guess I was looking in the wrong spots.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
The comic shop supplied me with:

Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink
Alice in the Country of Clover: Ace of Hearts
Sleeping Moon 1
lem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
Finally. All of The Rose of Versailles is mine! as well as Natsume's Season 4 & Hana Saku Iroha 2.

Also pledged enough for a limited edition blu of Little Witch Academia 2 and pre-ordered the CD OST for Miyazaki & Ghibli's latest Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises).

rheiders wrote:
...Merch:
This Takashi Natsume figure

Very nice score there!
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
@st_owly
Yes, but I have convinced you to get at least one awesome manga series, right?

Anyway, as for me, Thermae Romae II is mine. Normally roman numerals on the sides of volumes annoys me because they can get a bit clustery, but here they make perfect sense and seeing them used in a context that makes sense for once is somehow oddly satisfying to me.

*Edit
So over on Facebook, the Evil Empire of Right Stuf (seriously, it's ruled by a Dark Lord with minions and they bully our wallets into submission on a regular basis, what else would you call it?) noted they found an unopened palette and would be going through it and putting stuff back up online. So far, they've listed a boatload of Tokyopop stuff. I decided to order Battle Royale Ultimate Edition 4 to replace my vanilla 10-12 singles I got cheap and make my set more complete. No discount, but dude, $28 (after shipping) vs third party amazon seller prices, do you even have to ask? Also, only two of them were listed (now there's one), but there's plenty of other things hiding there, like Future Diary 1 and 2, GTO volumes, Fruits Basket, plenty of fun things.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Pre=ordered Kokoro Connect and Lovely Complex just now off Rightstuf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
just pre-ordered the regular blu-ray version of Steins;Gate Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu (movie) (English Subtitle option included/Release date: Dec 13th)
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
Manga:
Vagabond volumes 6-10
Berserk volume 9

Pre-ordered:
Magi Volume 1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
I needed to distract myself from this heat so trolled around and picked up Evangellion 1-5 on the cheap.

I also got an email stating my pre orders of Stiens;Gate BD and the Limit 6 have been dispatched.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I arbitrarily resisted taking advantage of TRSI's Viz sale until the day before it was to end. It's a big order, but between the sale and my GotAnime discount, the savings will be enough to justify it over the intermediate term.

Manga
Dorohedoro (Volumes 1-11)
Jormungand (Volumes 1-10)
Quest for the Missing Girl

Dorohedoro just looks really quirkily badass. I just a sense that it will be a cool, weird, dark trip that I'd enjoy taking. A few of the characters seem really neat too. I had been considering waiting until it was all released in English, but that would have me waiting forever and since I imagine that this isn't selling like hot cakes, it might also have worked against my interests, even though in a small way.

I feel like I'm taking a slightly risk with Jormungand, because I was ambivalent about the anime. I wasn't really enamored of the plot, but it's full of badass women and had played its characters well. I'm gambling that the manga is a little better and that knowing how it ends will inoculate me against disappointment.

Quest for the Missing Girl is something that I found out about by chance while rooting around the internet for one-shot manga. The story seems a little like something out of the old-school films noir and dramas that I so enjoy. I figured that it might be worth a chance.

rheiders wrote:
Don't be too jealous--the first five weeks were intensive study!

If you don't object to my asking, I'm curious, what was you intensive study in?
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
^Japanese, naturally (^^)d

Last edited by rheiders on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Purchased from RightStuf:
Claymore GN 22
NGE GN Omnibus 4-6
NGE GN Omnibus 7-9
NGE GN Omnibus 10-12
Welcome to the NHK GN 4-8
, love the anime and decided to see what the manga had to offer.

Surrender Artist wrote:
Dorohedoro just looks really quirkily badass...a cool, weird, dark trip that I'd enjoy taking.
I think that's exactly what it is. It does have its moments where it gets a little off track and tries too hard to be funny (imho), but I still love it and support it.

Quote:
I feel like I'm taking a slightly risk with Jormungand, because I was ambivalent about the anime. I wasn't really enamored of the plot, but it's full of badass women and had played its characters well. I'm gambling that the manga is a little better and that knowing how it ends will inoculate me against disappointment.
There are some parts of the manga I enjoyed better than the anime. For some reason the action flowed better for me than in the anime and the story didn't feel as choppy. On the other hand, the art would sometimes get sloppy and breakdown. Ultimately I stopped reading because I was following the anime and didn't want to spoil myself, but once I saw the end of the anime it killed the story for me and I never went back to the manga.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Just bought all four box sets of Marmalade Boy in a complete set off E-Bay.

Think that's the last time I'm gonna spend nearly $225 in a single purchase for quite a while.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
I finished watching my BD set of Patlabor the TV, volume 1 (TRSI sent it early). For those worried about the quality of the HD transfer, the video looks great. The image looks very clean, and the backgrounds are specially stunning.

The only minor gripe is that in 2 or 3 episodes you can notice a few dust specks. I suppose those were in the original fillm, and the producers did not want mess with it by adding digital paint or something, which is good IMO.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible for the mere act of hitting the "order" button to make one feel so dirty? If that was an order for Apocalypse Zero, possibly the best bad anime out there, then yes. But I freakin' need this monstrosity on my shelf! I'm putting the 6 volumes of manga that did come out here on my Otakon wish list, if I do get them, I will bury them as far back as I can out of shame of owning them.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Just bought all four box sets of Marmalade Boy in a complete set off E-Bay.

Think that's the last time I'm gonna spend nearly $225 in a single purchase for quite a while.
Good purchase, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1053 of 1400