• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Kids on the Slope [BD]

The extra 15% off coupon on the last day of the Comic-Con sale convinced me to buy one more thing from Deep Discount. It ended up being around 58.5% off with both discounts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wormraper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote
Slayers Complete seasons 1-3 collection
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
A rather small Blu-ray order from Amazon JP: Nanoha the MOVIE 2nd As super special (gotta get that CHOU!), Pompoko, and the Steins;Gate film. ¥22600 w/ shipping. Maybe Nanoha will break apart from the main order...meh, either way will be in my home come December.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
Tiger and Bunny Part 3 (UK release)
Dolls (manga) volume 1
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Not anime but close enough for me:

Avatar: The Last Airbender Complete Book 2 & 3 Collections.

Amazon.ca is having a sale and is offering both at $13.49 each (and I got free shipping). I managed to score Book 1 last year for $13.99 during a different Amazon.ca sale.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
On eBay recently, I ran across something I absolutely had to have. The package arrived on my doorstep today. Smile I purchased these:

(Click the thumbnail for a larger image)

Yoshitoshi ABe's doujinshi for Haibane Renmei. It's among my all-time favorite series, if not my No. 1. I have the scanlations for these books, but I have never seen the books themselves pop up for sale until the other day.

They took a real bite out of my wallet, though: $252. Much, much more than I thought they would go for, but I wanted them so I paid what the seller was asking. And while I really didn't want to spend the money, for this series I'll take the hit. I have four different versions of the anime (3 DVD, one Blu-ray) in addition to soundtracks and the artbook. Its one of the rare series I enjoy collecting, so I'm thrilled to add the doujinshi on my shelves.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I decided to order the other two volumes of Apocalypse Meow online. V2 wasn't that bad, actually. I just don't think I'm going to find them at Otakon necessarily.

I just ordered Kaze Hikaru 1-7, I've heard a lot about the series and this lot has v5, I recall that one supposedly being a nuisance (though it looks a bit better since the digital volume came out). $32.50 with free shipping for the lot, I wanted to try this out before getting more.

And some DVDs I wanted, namely Beast Wars Complete Set in that cool chipboard box for $18 (because Moviestop rips people off), and Tokyo Gore Police, because I do need some hilarious live action movies on my shelf, not just hilarious anime. Haven't opened Beast Wars yet, I got it because Reboot people, but as someone who doesn't know/care about any other Transformers series, still good buy? Opinions?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Got in the mood for a little nostalgia from Toonami. So chose to buy all the season sets for one of the few shows from the old lineup I never watched in its entirety, Yuyu Hakusho, off Hastings just now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Haven't opened Beast Wars yet, I got it because Reboot people, but as someone who doesn't know/care about any other Transformers series, still good buy? Opinions?

You have chosen... wisely!

Beast Wars is a really good series. I think that you'll find that many anime fans here, at least of a certain kind, have a lot of affection for it.

You don't need any real familiarity with the Transformers franchise to enjoy it. I've never been a Transformers fan, but I like Beast Wars a lot. The writers weren't even very well acquainted with the larger franchise during the first few seasons. They integrated things from prior series, but always in an understandable way. There are times when changes are made that were clearly just for the sake of the tie-in toy line; but they're bearable.

It often doesn't look that great because, well, nineties TV CGI, but it does get better as time goes on.

The first season errs toward the episodic, but it becomes more about a larger story as the series goes on. It does quite well on characterization too, which is useful since it stays with a pretty small cast throughout its length. One character in particular has a quite strong arc that culminates in a way that most fans find very memorable. I'm being coy as to who, because I don't want to risk undercutting the effect, but you'll know what I was referring to when the time comes.

The voice cast is also exceptional. I have a feeling that you'll take a real liking to David Kaye's sumptuous portrayal of Megatron... yesssss, YEESSSSSSSSS! Venus Terzo as Blackarachnia (she doesn't show up for a while) is great too. She sounds exactly as sexy as somebody with that name should.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, I wasn't expecting 90s CGI to be that spectacular, but it did start in 96 and Reboot started in 94, so some improvement is to be expected I suppose. I saw them upgrade Reboot CGI as the seasons went on, especially between 2 and 3. I just feel so bad that that studio now makes the CGI Barbie movies that seem to come out twice a year. It's also a shame that their first theatrical movie, Escape From Planet Earth was apparently terribad awful, hopefully Insomniac will have their foot up Rainmaker and their Ratchet & Clank effort will be better. I mean, these people made Reboot, I feel like they've fallen so hard since about 2001 (when they abruptly ended Reboot on that damn cliffhanger, but I still can't find it in myself to hate even that part about Reboot, and now Tony Jay's uber sexy voice is dead, so Rainmaker's on again/off again Reboot movie continuation plans still can't have Tony Jay).

As for incorporating things to sell toys in Beast Wars.... well I'm currently seeing My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic do the same damn thing, except like twice a season, then make a movie where they have human version of themselves, and I find that good writers won't have you notice too hard. Like, you might get a sneaking suspicion, but not truly care. I liked the Equestria Girls movie, yes I did!

But ok, thanks for opinions! Now I must check that the DVDs are in good condition! If not, I will have to return it for that reason (at least I got a copy of Being John Malkovich for free because buy 3 get 1 free)
*edit-big fat freakin' crack right on season 1 disc 4, dammit, moviestop! Seriously, why would you even accept a disc in that condition?
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
My copy of the Madoka Magica movies is finally ready to ship and paid for. At $13.08(Animate USA is FedEx only), I think this may well be the highest domestic shipping charge I've ever paid.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
From the bookstore:
Tiger and Bunny 2
07-Ghost 5
Strobe Edge 5

From HMV:
Blue Exorcist parts 1 and 2
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
lol, try ordering something like a couch or a car bumper
or express mail from japan
time is flying, I didn't know the movie was already prepared for release

I'm not sure what a book store is? what is this you speak of? j/k

I finally got my copy for sora no otoshimono season2 on blu-ray from amazon
the quality is excellent, I have to laugh at people who bought the dvd

I am waiting for daily lives of highschool boys and haganai to ship from rightstuf soon
and I have saten ruiko and miyako shipping
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
My copy of the Madoka Magica movies is finally ready to ship and paid for. At $13.08(Animate USA is FedEx only), I think this may well be the highest domestic shipping charge I've ever paid.

Well, technically it's imported from Japan, not domestic, hence the shipping.

I placed an order for:
Oh! My Goddess Vol. 31-36

but they're out of stock so who knows when I'll get them.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Amazon has just shipped my Cowboy Bebop part 1 BD

Pay day was yesterday so there will be a big online hall over the coming days Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1055 of 1400