• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
Twliight of the Cockroaches - is that about a girl cockroach who is torn between the love a vampire boy cockroach and a werewolf boy cockroach?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Twliight of the Cockroaches - is that about a girl cockroach who is torn between the love a vampire boy cockroach and a werewolf boy cockroach?

Funny. Laughing

The mentioned love triangle would only get complicated by the homeowner's girlfriend desiring to wipe out the whole lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Some manga:
Gantz GN 29
Attack on Titan GN 2
Soul Eater GN 3
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari BD part 1. Ah man, Bakemonogatari looks absolutely glorious in BD. I'm so glad that I hadn't decided to go for the cheaper DVD option.
Berserk complete collection (bought that a while back actually but forgot to mention it)
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
His Favourite 5 is on its way! Pleasing news as I now have an excuse to reread the series for a refresh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Just checked my e-mail and discovered that my Rightstuf preorder for Girls und Panzer just shipped today, barely over a month before its scheduled release date.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful Days on bluray, Cowboy Bebop pt.2 on bluray, Sakura Wars The Movie on bluray.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Just checked my e-mail and discovered that my Rightstuf preorder for Girls und Panzer just shipped today, barely over a month before its scheduled release date.

Damn. I'll occasionally get my Rakuten orders shipped a few days before release, at most. But a MONTH? That's bonkers.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Damn. I'll occasionally get my Rakuten orders shipped a few days before release, at most. But a MONTH? That's bonkers.

That's a perk ordering with Rightstuf. Depending on the distributor, they will ship a pre-order a few weeks to a month before the official release date if they have the items in stock and depending on how early you ordered it. I've had Funimation, Sentai and Nozomi pre-orders shipped to me weeks before their official release on a number of occasions whenever I order from Rightstuf.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

That's a perk ordering with Rightstuf. Depending on the distributor, they will ship a pre-order a few weeks to a month before the official release date if they have the items in stock and depending on how early you ordered it. I've had Funimation, Sentai and Nozomi pre-orders shipped to me weeks before their official release on a number of occasions whenever I order from Rightstuf.

Interesting. Their prices, however, are a lot higher than other, reliable outlets. I'd prefer to wait a little longer and save $10-20.

I pre-ordered GUP from Rak and paid like $38. Will I get it this week? Doubtful. But I will get it a few days before/on/close to the day of release and I'll have saved $15 (compared to Right Stuf) for my patience.

Does RS ever offer any discounts that can match (or at least come close to) competitor prices? What are the benefits of doing business with them if virtually all their prices are fairly higher?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Interesting. Their prices, however, are a lot higher than other, reliable outlets. I'd prefer to wait a little longer and save $10-20.

I pre-ordered GUP from Rak and paid like $38. Will I get it this week? Doubtful. But I will get it a few days before/on/close to the day of release and I'll have saved $15 (compared to Right Stuf) for my patience.

Does RS ever offer any discounts that can match (or at least come close to) competitor prices? What are the benefits of doing business with them if virtually all their prices are fairly higher?

I got my preorder of GUP for $38.99, roughly around the time that the announcement of Sentai's December slate was made a few months ago. The price hike is likely due to demand for the series, so my lower price is probably just a case of ordering at the right time while demand was still low.

As for discounts, Rightstuf frequently holds special sales that offer bigger discounts on either select distributors or their entire stock at certain points of the year that can also get milked and they do offer free shipping for Standard Shipping if you are a US customer and make orders that are $49 or more.

Is RAK Robert's Anime Corner? If so, I believe Rightstuf offers cheaper shipping rates than they do and you would need to order more in value before you get free shipping on Standard Shipping.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:

If you wait for a Sentai sale, you'll get 40% off the MSRP. That would bring the TRSI price of the BD of GuP down to $41.99, which makes it already cheaper than RACS. Then if you have a GotAnime membership ($12 for a year) you'll knock a further 10% off the price, bringing it down to around $37. And as has been stated, if you spend over $49, you get free US shipping. I prefer TRSI over RACS anyways, but it's not like I'm getting ripped off by shopping with them.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Rak = Rakuten. Their prices are already at or below RS (even after all the discounts are factored in), sometimes they offer free shipping (although paid shipping is never exorbitant), and they allow you to accrue 'points' based on the amount of money you spend (I think it's like 1% of all your purchases; so if you spend $100, you get 100 points which equals $1 towards your next purchase, so on and so forth). May not sound like a lot, but for someone like me who typically spends about $80-100 with them every month or so, it adds up.

The only thing I DON'T like about them, is that they're a marketplace. While it's good for comparison shopping and/or finding an alternate retailer if one is out of stock of a certain item, the main supplier is Buy.com. When you pre-order something, it's automatically pre-ordered with buy.com; you have no other option to pre-order with a different seller. While buy.com usually offers a great price at the time of pre-orders, I've run into a problem where I'll pre-order something, and the day of its release, it'll be instantly 'out of stock' through buy.com but all the other retailers will have it; making your pre-order pretty much useless. What's worse is that they'll take pre-orders for items that they sometimes will NEVER get in stock through buy.com. Good news is it's easy to cancel an order and then immediately place it with another seller (and usually for a few dollars less) after the title is released, but still, it's a hassle.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Rak = Rakuten. Their prices are already at or below RS
Interesting, that's rarely been my experience. I think I've purchased 1 or 2 things that were cheaper than say RS or Amazon.

Quote:
...the main supplier is Buy.com.
Buy.com was bought out by Rakuten something like 2 years ago and in my experience prices have gone up overall. I used to buy a fair amount of office supplies, computer hardware, electronics, books and CDs when it was Buy.com and it was consistently cheaper than Amazon. Their shipping wasn't always so hot back in the day though. Now I always look but never buy there because prices aren't as good as they used to be.

Its like anything else, got a shop around to get best deals.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Just splurged my ass off at DVDplanet.com. Got some sick deals though:

The Garden of Words (movie) Blu Ray - $13.01
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (movie) Blu Ray - $14.69
Grave of the Fireflies (movie) Blu Ray - $11.29
Campione! - Complete Collection Blu Ray - $25.11
Clannad: After Story - Complete Collection Blu Ray - $32.73
Little Busters! - Complete Collection Blu Ray (pre-order) - $25.90
Nakaimo: My Little Sister is Among Them - Complete Collection Blu Ray (pre-order) - $25.90

All brand new, free shipping Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1082 of 1400