• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
@OldCharlieStoletheHandle

Having to reenter your information is a mild irritation. However, it also means you don't have to remember a password and he is not retaining your credit card information in an area that can be hacked.

RACS used to offer free shipping on top of coupon sales but stopped this year. I think the increase in shipping costs made that infeasible. He doesn't have the volume to eat the increase. What is surprising is that he remains competitive with TRSI on most new releases and sometimes offers a better deal. I comparison shop regularly. If the price is within $5 or $10 dollars I go with RACS as the service is better.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Beyond the Boundary Complete Collection
Bleach Set 26
The Irregular at Magic Highschool BD Vol. 2
Sword Art Online II DVD Vol. 2

and:
Spice and Wolf Novel 15
Strike the Blood Novel 1
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Aura Battler Dunbine Volume 06 - Battlers of Byston Well
Birth
Fullmetal Alchemist - The Complete Series -- Blu-ray
Heroic Age - Complete Series - S.A.V.E.
High School DxD New - Complete Series -- Blu-ray
Samurai Troopers - Complete TV Series
Slam Dunk - Season 1 Vol. 1
Tokyo Ravens - Season 1 Part 1 (Limited Edition) -- Blu-ray
Yu-Gi-Oh GX - Season 1
American Sniper -- Blu-ray
Bon Jovi: Burning Bridges
Kid Rock: First Kiss (Amazon Music Download)
Weird Al: Mandatory Fun (Amazon Music Download)
Smash Mouth: Gift Of Rock (Amazon Music Download)
Best Of Nickleback Volume 1 (Amazon Music Download)
Bare Naked Ladies: Silver Ball (Amazon Music Download)

Also recently ordered:
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood Complete Collection 1 and 2

Last edited by Supermutant on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, the saga of me trying to get a copy of part one of Fate/Zero has ended.

As previously posted, I had ordered it from RACS last Sunday. I then got an email from RACS that the set had sold out just before my order. I then was bidding on a new one (US release) on Ebay but got outbid, so I ordered a used copy of the import part one from Amazon. Then I got an email from Ebay that someone withdrew their bid so I was now the high bidder, so I had to cancel my order on Amazon. Well, the bidding ended tonight and some nutbar actually spent $455 for the thing. Me, I went back to Amazon and ordered a used copy of the import for $183.10 including shipping. My sets won't match (have part 2 of the US release coming from TRSI) but I could care less. The only thing missing is the English dub which I don't care about.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
Well, the saga of me trying to get a copy of part one of Fate/Zero has ended.

As previously posted, I had ordered it from RACS last Sunday. I then got an email from RACS that the set had sold out just before my order. I then was bidding on a new one (US release) on Ebay but got outbid, so I ordered a used copy of the import part one from Amazon. Then I got an email from Ebay that someone withdrew their bid so I was now the high bidder, so I had to cancel my order on Amazon. Well, the bidding ended tonight and some nutbar actually spent $455 for the thing. Me, I went back to Amazon and ordered a used copy of the import for $183.10 including shipping. My sets won't match (have part 2 of the US release coming from TRSI) but I could care less. The only thing missing is the English dub which I don't care about.

That fate set actually sold her $455? Wow, I was willing to go to $250 which even that was a lot but stopped watching it after it went higher, crazy! I saw SAO season 1 Vol 3 being bid on at over $510!!! Is that really the going rate of what I paid $90 for?

Anyway just won some items off ebay and a couple rightstuf orders shipped/shipping soon

Sword Art Online II Set 2 Limited Edition BD
Karneval Complete Series Limited Edition
Strawberry Marshmallow Geneon complete set
Sword Art Online Progressive GN 03
Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends GN 12
High School DxD Graphic Novel 6
Sword Art Online Novel 5: Phantom Bullet 1
lem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
RE: RACS - we're very fortunate to have them as another choice. The more places to buy from, the better. And like TRSI they do an excellent job of packing stuff that you'd rather not have arrive all jacked up. I find both sites fairly easy to shop from but Amzn really has the software/web page thing down to a science. So much so that it is just Waaay too easy to spend there with the reduced amount of clicks.

Thanks to "Prime" I kinda sorta have UPS service now. So lately my overall waiting time for a good many things has been dramatically reduced or simply cut in half. Instead of close to two months for manga I've been able to get single Volumes within a week of ordering. On top of that I find myself not having to wait in line at the PO to get my stuff since it is now being delivered to my entry way.

Stocking up for this winter and adding to the type of stuff I like to enjoy every October:

Recently received/started collecting

Alice in Murderland 1 (nice hardcover)

Ajin: Demi-Human 1-6

Bakune Young 1-3 (absolutely love the butt ugly character design and messed up sense of humor in this one)

Cat Paradise 1-5

Chikyu Misaki 1-3

Dragon Head 2 & 5

Grand Guignol Orchestra 1-5 (more from Kaori Yuki)

Hino Horror 2, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Magical Girl Apocalypse 1-4 (the back side blurb "Not your Mommy's Magical Girls" had me sold)

Pilgrim Jäger 1-3

School Zone 1-3

Übel Blatt 0, 1, & 2 (An Elf looking character with a badass weapon channeling "Magi" levels of cuteness + gratuitous nudity = trashy. comic. goodness... ?? ok at least trashy and comical. Y'know I don't have a book store for browsing and flipping through pages to preview everything I'm hoarding. Smile )
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:

That fate set actually sold her $455? Wow, I was willing to go to $250 which even that was a lot but stopped watching it after it went higher, crazy! I saw SAO season 1 Vol 3 being bid on at over $510!!! Is that really the going rate of what I paid $90 for?

I was watching at the end, the bidding went nuts in the last minute. I don't know if you have thought of getting a region-free BD player, but for $455 you could get a good one and buy the Australian version and have money left over. Ebay had AU part one selling for under $50; I gave it some thought as I do own a region free player, but I ended up going for the import (which looks to at least resemble the US release and has the soundtrack).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of F/SN: UBW releases being out of print:

So just to clarify, I didn't miss my chance to order the second part on bilingual DVD yet have I? I do have the BD import for set 2 on order which doesn't come out until October and the bilingual DVD usually comes a few months after that and I haven't seen it solicited yet.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Got Ghost in the Shell Arise off Amazon (first set) and Rightstuf (pre-ordered second set).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered...

...now I just gotta wait till December (and with EMS shipping from Japan, if it ships by 12/15, it should show up here just before Christmas (or possibly just after depending on holiday mail volumes).

Yes, I could have waited for NISA's assurredly-overpriced domestic release, but that likely wouldn't be until this time next year at this rate...
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to post the other night, but due to paranoia over things I want going OOP I decided to order all 5 of the Kill la Kill limited editions from TRSI; got the shipping notice today. What the hell, what's another $300. Fortunately, I'm just about done with my wish list of expensive items.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Picked up So Cute It Hurts 2 on my lunch break yesterday.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Tracked it to Anchorage so I should have Vol. 11 some time next week.
Just pre-ordered Spice and Wolf, Vol. 12 (manga) Paperback – March 22, 2016 and Baccano!, Vol. 1 Hardcover – April 19, 2016
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
@lem

I've already bought Ubel Blatt 0, 1, & 2 and read them. Cute but dangerous character, lots of action and some nudity. Not really comical though, it is basically an extended revenge story. Volume 3 came out today. These are large format omnibus volumes. I think this puts us 8 volumes into the series.

I probably ought to go back to participating in this thread.

Today from the comic shop I picked up:
Ubel Blatt volume 3
Claymore volume 27 (final)
The demon Prince of Momochi House volume 2
My Neighbor Seki volume 4
Twin Star Exorcists volume 2
Bloody Cross volume 8
Chaika: The Coffin Princess volume 2
QQ Sweeper volume 1
As usual these were pre ordered two or three months ago.

In addition, since Diamond Previews for October came out today, I preordered 32 volumes of manga or light novels. Notable among those were the first volume of Actually I Am ... from Seven Seas under the title of My Monster Secret. Also the Kizumonogatari novel from Vertical.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45
I started reading Volume 0 with the hopes of thinking I'd found something along the lines of another Wolfsmund or Vinland Saga.

That's my fault entirely. Right off the bat I found it impossible to take serious with the disproportionately sized bad guy raping the diminuitive female scene. Perhaps "stupid" looking would have been a better way to describe the artwork? I know one can exaggerate for effect to get a point across but to me that kinda of stuff just had me shaking my head. All the while laughing at it. So that's what I meant by "comical". That and the way they have this Keebler cookie elf lookin' character that can not only obliterate his opponents but also act all cute, AND then be seen fingering a half naked woman.

I'm okay with shifting gears and going with the flow and all but this one really tries hard with the lane changing. No turn signal, just flooring it. Just comes across as being there for shits and giggles. Or just more juvenile than I wanted it to be? I thought I was buying into a seinen title.

Anyway, once I get further along with it and start to get in sync with the world and its characters I'm sure I'll have a different take on it.

I'm also waiting for that final Claymore (since 2008 I've been waiting), My Neighbor Seki, The demon Prince..., Chaika (saw some of the anime on CR and really enjoyed what I did), and a few others, along with more One-Punch Man.

As someone that grew up with comic book heroes I'm finding this to be incredibly funny yet still being responsible towards its audience. The use of perspective in the artwork also has me lingering at times, in awe of the drawing skill and the use of the page. That and the silly yet very imaginative character designs. I've never seen the other web? version, and probably won't any time soon. This one's fine as it is.

I'm also not looking forward to the animated version. They'd need a Space Dandy level of budget and talent to get as good looking as this comic is. Those and "The Ancient Magus' Bride" (of which I'm really wishing I didn't have to wait so long for).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1219 of 1400