• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
@Supermutant
"The Descent" - now that one had me jumping out of my chair more than once, lots of cheery life affirming fun that one is. Very Happy

Picked up One-Punch Man 08 this morning.
Also recently received One-Punch Man 06 & 07 along with REAL 14.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
@Supermutant
"The Descent" - now that one had me jumping out of my chair more than once, lots of cheery life affirming fun that one is. Very Happy

I heard good things about but I been long not getting then. Saw it on sale at my local comic book known as the record store. They sell used dvds for a couple of bucks. Good chance to add it to my horror collection for this years halloween a-thon.

Got in today:
Hellraiser: Bloodline
Mothman Prophecies
Sanctuary: Quite a Conundrum
Zombie Invasion

Gut - Blu Ray
Hansel & Gretel (2013) -- Blu-ray
Hellraiser - Horror Classics Double Feature -- Blu-ray
The Thing (2011) -- Blu-ray
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Picked up:
Dance in the Vampire Bund Omnibus 1
Dance in the Vampire Bund Omnibus 2

and some movies from earlier this year that I wanted to add to my collection:
Captain America: Civil War
Now You See Me 2
lem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Finally got Jigen's Gravestone. spoiler[what is it with Dick Drills in anime?] Also received my first Amz JP order of the year. It took about 16 months to find the other volume at a price that I wanted to pay (44.17 USD) but I finally found one for
ヨコハマ買い出し紀行-Quiet Country Cafe- #2 (R2 DVD) Yokohama shopping travelogue -Quiet Country Cafe- # 2 (DVD)

I read somewhere that it was somehow vaguely similar to Aria in a couple of ways (relaxing, subtle sci-fi elements and a good sound track) so I decided I'd pay to satisfy my curiosity. I'll see soon enough.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
@lem

That looks like the masts of a sunken warship in the water on the cover picture. That seems odd given the title of the show. When you watch it let us know what is happening about that.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered the DVD version of Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation via Rightstuf.

Also bought Laughing Under the Clouds on E-Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@lem

That looks like the masts of a sunken warship in the water on the cover picture. That seems odd given the title of the show. When you watch it let us know what is happening about that.

I got an initial viewing in today. I'd have to guess that that visual would be something from the 2007 Sieun Award winning 14 volume Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō that this is based on (and want very badly to have a set of in English). I didn't see anything that appears to be any kind of ship submerged on either Volume 1, 2 or the OAV dvds. Although there is a scene with street lamps and traffic lights partially submerged in the OAV.

Screen pics from the dvd

Can definitely see as well as hear the inspiration and influence it had for Aria. Samples of it can be heard here:
ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 ベスト・サウンドトラックス(Yokohama shopping Noriyuki Best Sound Tracks)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
@lem

Ah! a future with rising seas. I can see where that would be of strong concern to the Japanese. I'm not sure why that would sink a ship, but no matter. Even here in the US, I don't think investing in beach property would be a good idea.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk War BD Vol. 1
lem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
my second and last order of the year from Amz JP:
「彼女と彼女の猫 -Everything Flows-」完全版(Blu-ray)"She and her cat -Everything Flows-" full version (Blu-ray)

from Amz US
April and the Extraordinary World (something of a don't want to know too much about it before seeing it simply because of my positive viewing experiences with "A Cat in Paris, and "Ernest & Celestine").

*9/27 Edit
from Amz UK, just pre-ordered:Miss Hokusai (Standard) (Blu-ray)
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
A productive day at the comic shop! Except I couldn't remember if I had Ubel Blatt 6, my mind told me I had 6 volumes, but wasn't sure if #6 was among them because who starts a series out by numbering at zero?! Yen, that's who. I'll get it next time though.
And naturally, half off (even the big stuff!)

7th Garden 2
Bride's Story 8
Dimension W 3
Everybody's Getting Married 1, 2
Fruits Basket 4, 5
Kamisama Kiss 22
Magi 20
My Love Story! 10
Not Lives 3
One Punch Man 8
One Piece box set 3
(vols 47-70)
So Cute, It Hurts!! 9
This Wolf Boy Is Mine! 1
Wolfsmund 7
Yona of the Dawn 2

So two new series there, pretty good haul with lots of new shojo this time around, very excited on Yona 2 as well, since the first vol seemed to be mostly set up and there should always be an epic shojo fantasy coming out imo. As for wether this is the next Basara, that remains to be seen.

And then I also ordered from Rightstuf:
Animal Land 11
Code Geass bluray collector's thingy

I know Animal Land is supposedly Kodansha's worst selling manga, so I fear if I don't get them now, they will become too rare to get affordably later. I wanted to wait to see if the comic shop had it first is all.

Last edited by zawa113 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ordered Yurikuma Arashi

classicalzawa wrote:
Bride's Story 8

Oh hey, I didn't even know vol 8 came out. I know what I'm going to use that BN gift card on.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Just bought on eBay (brand new, from "fever_dreams_llc," a.k.a. Media Blasters Wink ):

Ladies versus Butlers Blu-ray $24.99 (TRSI was a few bucks (literally, like $2-$3) cheaper, but their shipping for one item would have made the total higher than eBay's + shipping, plus TRSI is out of stock.)
lem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
So much for only two orders from Amz JP this year. <sigh> *never learns*

Picked up the paperback for Yoshihiro Tatsumi's Midnight Fisherman at the PO Tuesday. It's about the size of a regular dvd case (unlike the D&Q hardcovers/larger paperback format done for "Good-Bye").

At the time I ordered it from Amz JP it wasn't available to buy at Amz US. Now there are reseller listings and it can be had for at least 10 bucks less. And... it's no longer in stock at Amz JP. That's how it goes. Wait a bit and save, or wait too long and it's out of stock. More joys of fandom.

Also received the Everything Flows blu on Mon. After the past week spent with a revisit to the Escaflowne DVDs and both the Siren Visual and US Manga/CPM releases of "Now and Then, Here and There", Daru sure was a treat after Merle and the permanent black sharpie imagery that is Hamdo's "beloved" spoiler[little twistable].

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's been a while since I've been in this thread. I'm pretty jazzed about my latest acquisition. It's an OOP title I never expected to own given the rarity and cost of some of its sets. Namely, I purchased all 8 sets of Maison Ikkoku.

They are "pre-enjoyed" but in excellent shape. All 8 boxes even still had the original paper band that came with them, although some of the bands are a bit bunged up, not that I really care. It cost me $250 CAD, but totally worth it, imo. Right now on Amazon, you can't even get sets 5 thru 8 and set 4 alone will cost you a cool $174.93 USD, used. You can see why I never expected to own these.

Because it has been a while since I've posted in this thread, I'll note some of my more cherished buys over the past year or so:

In March, I took advantage of a Siren Visual sale and got the full set of Monster (the anime).

In April, I bought all 11 volumes of MDP Psycho and the first 13 volumes of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service for $200 CAD. The volumes were second hand but in absolute PRISTINE condition.

In July, I got all 12 DVD volumes of Boys Over Flowers still in their original shrink wrap for $100 CAD. I didn't realize at the time (or had forgotten) that Discotek had rescued the title and will be offering a set that would have been cheaper, but I'm happy to have the original singles. (Yeah, collector geek, what can I say?)

Last October, I bought a dude's complete collection of anime for $250 total. That was 54 TV series, 4 OVAs and 5 movies. Out of that haul, there were 9 TV shows and 1 movie set that I did not own in any version, so I'm keeping those and there were another 11 TV titles and 1 movie that were better versions than mine (i.e. older). So I swapped out those titles. I plan to sell the titles I'm not going to keep and frankly I expect to make far more than the $250 I paid for the entire haul (he wasn't willing to sell titles individually, but I am).

But the REALLY exciting thing about this haul is that it included the first three box sets of Marmalade Boy - another title I never expected to own. Of course, that still meant I had to get the 4th Marmalade Boy box, but since the first three basically cost me less than $4 each, I wasn't too worried. And then something great happened.

About a month later, I came across a guy selling Marmalade Boy vol 4 (not the first three, just the last one!) for $100! This was a completely different guy from the one who had sold the first three to me. What are the freaking odds? Needless to say all 4 volumes are in great shape.

It definitely pays to have a bit of luck when you are trying to collect OOP titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1256 of 1400