• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
If were talking book backlogs I have 178 unread volumes of manga (technically much more since a lot of them are omnibuses) and 69 novels. Might as well start reading as long as I'm think about it...

The latest editions to it are:
Overlord Novel 6
Strike the Blood Novel 8
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Got back into Buyee last week...it’s been years since my last bid. Won a few things, Little Busters! Blu-ray vol 1-9 and Little Busters! ~Refrain~ Blu-ray vol 1-7 and DURARARA!! Blu-ray Box. Considering a bid on a set of Love Live! 2nd Season discs. Three days left on the auction guess I’ll see how I feel in a couple days.

I’ve reached a personal milestone with these auction wins. I’ll be over 400 import discs in my collection (DVD/BD/CD) exact number is about 405. Really exciting. Never thought I’d get to that amount when I started collecting in 2010.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
@ luffypirate - that is an impressive amount of imports for sure! Yeesh, I'd hate to think what the bill for that is. I only have two Japanese imports myself: the Time of Eve ONA and Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Despite being tempted by certain TV shows, at the end of the day I just couldn't pull the trigger on sets that were expensive and didn't even have subs (both EVE and Children did).
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood- wow thank you that means a lot. Oh goodness I think about the cost sometimes...I’m surprised I didn’t keep track of it (maybe that was a good thing lol) you know, I had stopped buying all together for quite a while, both domestic and import. I took on a new career in social work and couldn’t find a full time position for the longest time. Literally had my income cut in half for about nine months. Couldn’t really find anyway to stretch the money to get some anime discs or figures. Got back into the game about fall of last year.

I found a new way to buy the imports...it requires a fair amount of luck an vigilance but it’s been working. The place to look is...eBay, yes bizarre I know lol the past few months I’ve won some great auctions for anime far under retail cost. If you give it a search once a day you’ll come across some pretty rare stuff. Prior to those last Buyee wins, here’s everything I found on eBay with the total cost:

Love Live! Blu-ray vol 1-7 and Love Love! 2nd Season Blu-ray vol 1-2
Code Geass Akito the Exiled Blu-ray vol 1-5
Captain Earth Blu-ray vol 1-9
Natsuiro Kiseki Blu-ray vol 1-7

Total cost with shipping was $273! Less than $10 a volume and some of them were still unopened, and those were just the ones I bid on. I saw some Macross Frontier Blu-ray discs for the films for $10 a piece, a copy of the Anthem of the Heart LE Blu-ray go for $20, and (this is a big one) a Star Driver Complete Blu-ray Box with a copy of the movie for $37!!!

If there’s ever an import you’re considering always give eBay a look. You might be surprised about what you find! I usually search “import anime Blu-ray” or “import anime Japan”.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, that's an amazing deal! And you are more generous than I am... if I stumbled on a method of getting import discs for cheap, I don't think I'd share it with the class... who needs other people bidding up the costs! Wink

It's nice to see you back, luffypirate. You were gone for quite some time (for reasons that are now known) and you always struck me as a good guy.
Pantha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Due to finally buying a region-free Blu-Ray player last year, I discovered the "art" of importing myself. I don't think I'll ever get to 400 discs, but I have over 50. In fact, my first purchases of the year were imports:

1. Mr. Osomatsu Complete Collection
2. Gundam 00 Complete Collection (both seasons)

Madman was having this ridiculous sale shortly after New Years. I got Mr. Osomatsu for less than $10 and Gundam for about $20. Shipping took everything to just under $70, but it was worth it. I know VIZ licensed Mr. Osomatsu but I don't like them much. I'm not much interested in the series, either, but bought the show on a whim since it was so cheap. I own the original Bandai release of both seasons of Gundam 00 but they take up too much space on my shelves.

I also made my first order of the year with RightStuf:

1. Ajin Season 2 PE box set
2. My Hero Academia Season 2 Part 1 LE
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuf just announced that The Testament of Sister New Devil LE is going out of print, so just got myself a copy
Supermutant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Got with birthday money:
Accel World - Set 02 -- Blu-ray
Ace Attorney - Part 1 -- Blu-ray
Aquarion Logos - Part 1 -- Blu-ray,
Blue Exorcist: The Movie
Civil War, The - 25th Anniversary Edition (Restored) (1990) -- Blu-ray
Fairy Tail - Part 21 - Combo Pack -- Blu-ray
First World War - The Complete Series
Galaxy Railways- Letter from the Abandoned Planet - Complete Series
Initial D 4th Stage - Complete Collection - S.A.V.E.
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX - PlayStation 4
Lupin the Third: Operation Return the Treasure
Monkees - Season 1
MLB - 2016 Chicago Cubs: 2016 World Series - Collector's Edition -- Blu-ray
NHL - Pittsburgh Penguins - Stanley Cup 2016 Champions
ReLife - The Complete Series -- Blu-ray,
Rick and Morty - Season 1 -- Blu-ray
RWBY - Volume 2
WWE - Unreleased: 1986 - 1995 - 3 Disc Set

Also got recently:
Blade Runner: 2049 - 4K UltraHD -- Blu-ray
Craft/Covenant (2006)
Expelled
Final Girls
Finding Nemo
Ghost in the Machine
It - 4K UltraHD -- Blu-ray
Natural - Director's Cut
Training Day
Wedding Crashers
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Holy crap, that's an amazing deal! And you are more generous than I am... if I stumbled on a method of getting import discs for cheap, I don't think I'd share it with the class... who needs other people bidding up the costs! Wink

It's nice to see you back, luffypirate. You were gone for quite some time (for reasons that are now known) and you always struck me as a good guy.

Thank you. You are very nice!

I think I’ll be sticking around for a while!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
Put in my Dead Dead Demon's DeDeDeDeDestruction preorder, as well as a preorder for Detective Pikachu on 3DS.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to a total of 30% off at Barnes and Noble, picked up Fairy Tail Vol. 20 today.
... Had I done my math better I probably would've gotten something else, but that's okay. One step closer to filling the gap!

Also found out they had a Fairy Tail day planner. Thinking of getting it for a unique thing on my shelf at some point, even if I don't use it. I did shift through it and thought it was super cute!
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote
On the last day of the offer being available, I took advantage of Right Stuf’s special promo code offer for manga specifically licensed by Seven Seas Entertainment and used it to buy To Love-Ru Vol. 3-4 and To Love-Ru Darkness Vol. 2. Always nice to save a few bucks whenever possible and better late than never, especially for a series that’s close to my heart and will wholeheartedly support ‘till the end of time. I considered also getting Made in Abyss Vol. 1, but will wait until the second print for it comes out so that they can remove the Anime Strike logo from the back as I sincerely don’t want to be reminded of that crap service everytime I look at the back. Also bought Pikmin 3 recently. I don’t think think it will get a port for the Switch, so that’s why I went for it now before too much time passes and it becomes very hard to find/its price skyrockets.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Via Rightstuf, just pre-ordered Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Interview with Monster Girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail (Manga) Volume 63
Argo Blu Ray
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The local anime shop has recently remodeled their store to incorporate all of the new manga acquisitions from their manga trade in program, so the hubby and I checked it out yesterday. I was very impressed by the selection! A lot of art books and older manga. I did pick up a few things, and really tempted to go back next week to pick up a few more.

But my picks this time:
I.O.N one-shot
Chobits: Your Eyes Only art book
The Gentleman's Alliance Cross: Arina Tanemura Illustrations art book
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1316 of 1400