• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Picked up a copy of NISA's OOP lovely House of Five Leaves Premium Edition in excellent condition for $50. I missed it the first time around and I like their old PE's. I feel pretty good getting it at less than retail.

@Blood-
Dang, Blood- I see you've been saving up all that good karma from the last year. Very Happy
Congrats on Maison Ikkoku.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks, One-Eye! And yeah, that is a very good price for the OOP House of Five Leaves PE. Typically, NISA's OOP titles go for twice the original retail price as a floor and can go well beyond that. For example, I just checked and Occult Academy PE on Amazon is $250 (seller claiming it is new).

Where you able to ensure your copy of House of Five Leaves has the replacement discs? (Remember that when the set was first released, an error resulted in the sound being mono and NISA had to issue replacement discs. Obviously, this only affects you if the set you bought was from the original batch.)
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Manga manga manga:

Citrus 5
Forget Me Not 4
Your Lie in April 9
Everybody's Getting Married 2
Komomo Confiserie 5
Idol Dreams 3
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Where you able to ensure your copy of House of Five Leaves has the replacement discs? (Remember that when the set was first released, an error resulted in the sound being mono and NISA had to issue replacement discs. Obviously, this only affects you if the set you bought was from the original batch.)

Yea, that was the first thing I checked and fortunately I can report no mono issues. Thanks for the reminder! There's been a fair amount of mono audio crop up with modern releases. I wonder how that occurs? Is it a workflow issue?

I hope NISA is not permanently out of the anime game. I can imagine that with the bidding wars that have been reported (that's probably resulted in an across the board increase in licensing fees) that maybe they've been squeezed out. I really have enjoyed several of the books that have come with their releases. Its definitely my favorite part, plus their prices have never been outrageous. I feel that I get value for my purchase (unlike other companies).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
@ One-Eye: glad to hear you didn't get one of the defective sets! After all, you aren't One-Ear, right? Wink

I share your appreciation of NISA anime releases, but even though they have not made any kind of official announcement, it does seem they are out of the anime game. They have not made a new license announcement in ages. What a pity. I found their taste to be impeccable and I love their oversized rectangular PE boxes (a format they eventually abandoned). I'm glad I was around when they started up because I was able to get several of their PE releases for retail. I can only conclude that the venture wasn't profitable for them.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, it's been a while since I've been in this thread. I'm pretty jazzed about my latest acquisition. ...all 8 sets of Maison Ikkoku.

...It definitely pays to have a bit of luck when you are trying to collect OOP titles.

^understatement of the year there Blood-.

Congrats on your sets for Maison!

I also managed all of the singles for Boys Over Flowers. Each case had to be replaced due to ripped, broken plastic, and or public library markings. A few paper covers also had to have stickers removed and several of the discs were dirty. And of course after finally getting the last one I also learned of Discotek's...
So I'll probably be buying it again, and once I do that, there will be a blu for it announced.
Are you going to be listing any of your luck on Ebay any time soon?

One-Eye wrote:
I hope NISA is not permanently out of the anime game.

Same here. And I'm trying not to imagine the day when Aniplex announces that they'll be releasing the next season of Eccentric Family.

Cancelled my pre-order for the standard edition of Miss Hokusai and ordered the Collector's Edition instead.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote
@ lem: No, listing items on ebay or amazon seems a tad too complicated for me, plus I don't want to deal with putting stuff in boxes and shipping it. I think I'll stick to listing on craigslist and similar sites. My other option, although I doubt I'd exercise it, is to share a table with another seller at Anime North's Nominoichi (flea market) event. I don't really want to wait until next May to start selling, though, so I don't think I'll go that route.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
You know, if you just bought this stuff when it cam out you wouldn't have to do all this hunting. Laughing Laughing
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
You know, if you just bought this stuff when it cam out you wouldn't have to do all this hunting. Laughing Laughing

So true. But we all know that's only half the fun. The other half of it is getting ripped off, taken to the cleaners and cursing one's fate, station in life and all manner of grievance. Very Happy

@Blood-
I guess I didn't make myself very clear there. lol. I meant your luck. Not your collection. I already got enough to last a life time. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - Oh, a wise guy, huh? Wink

I started collecting anime in January 2009 and it was actually a decent time because the singles model had kind of collapsed by that point. So in many ways, I saved money by buying re-releases that were way cheaper than paying $29.99 per volume back in the day. But yes, it also means I wasn't on the ground floor for things like Maison Ikkoku. It probably all comes out in the wash.

@ lem - oh, I get you! Yes, bidding on my luck starts at a very reasonable...

*puts pinky finger to mouth*

... one - million - DOLLARS!!!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
I hope NISA is not permanently out of the anime game.

Same here. And I'm trying not to imagine the day when Aniplex announces that they'll be releasing the next season of Eccentric Family.

Uhh, getting a pain in my patch-eye (grasping head). Sad

I better go buy something while I still can to numb the pain... Wink

Last edited by One-Eye on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Just more comics

Master Keaton 8
Ubel Blatt 6

Also, Rick and Morty 3, because.... it's Rick and Morty

Also, Venture Brothers: season 6 because it's Venture Bros, man!

Last edited by zawa113 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Just received from Amazon

Spice & Wolf The Anniversary Collector's Edition.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime: Children Who Chase Lost Voices DVD/BD (Sentai Selects)

Non-anime: South Park season 9 DVD
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Good, a Sentai sale! I actually did need this

Cobra the Animation because Cobra is awesome!

And a couple of other random things:
Horimiya 1
Story of Saiunkoku manga 4, 7

I hear Horimiya is good (and has no anime), so I should experiment before a major Yen sale. And those were the last two Saiunkoku manga I needed (and I often get these things online used, but they were about the same price as just getting them new here instead).

Also, Adventure Time season 6 comes out tomorrow, so I will need to pick that up too.

And Dragon Quest Builders comes out tomorrow too and I will get that soon too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1257 of 1399