• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:22 am Reply with quote
If you are concerned about space, go for the Blu-ray version. Just six sets for the series, one for the movies and two for the Final Act. Inu Yasha had an odd release pattern. It first came out in sets, then in singles between sets and later in "seasons". I bought the seasons version. I never figured out how they divided into seasons of differing lengths since it ran as one continuous show.

I can't say much about someone having a lot of singles of one series. I initially bought Urusai Yatsura as the first box set (just the first five singles in a pasteboard box) and later added the next five singles as Right Stuf! cart toppers. About a year before AnimEigo lost the license, I noticed that RS had a sale on the series. I checked and found AnimEigo was even cheaper. Over the next couple of months I bought the rest of the series in a mixture of box sets and singles. This gave me a total of fifty singles for the series, six for the OVAs and six for the movies for a total of sixty two discs. That is a bit over a yard of Urusei Yatsura (27 1/2 inches not quite a full meter for the unenlightened). Interestingly, the next largest shelf hog I have is Maison Ikkoku (I'm beginning to see a pattern here) at eight three disk box sets. Ranma 1/2 used to be a contender until I replaced it with the Blu-ray version.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:01 am Reply with quote
I keep on hoping Urusai Yatsura will be re-released (hello, Discotek). I'll never own it otherwise, not that I've seen the show, but still. Saint Tail and Master Keaton are two others I'd love to see a re-release for ownage purposes. I think my biggest one title shelf hog is my 18 volumes of the Cardcaptor Sakura show and 2 volumes of the associated movies.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:20 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Noticed you were talking about Gall Force. There is still merch out there for that show. Last year I picked up a super large mouse pad, with a depiction of their ship, and the crew standing outside. You probably have seen the image before on the internet and on posters.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
@ TarTarkas - you would think I'd be fairly familiar with the anime in releases I own, wouldn't you?

...and how wrong you would be. I have a terrible, terrible habit of buying stuff I've never seen before and then hanging onto it for years and years and years before ever watching it (I have titles I bought back in 2009 when I first got into anime in a serious way that I still haven't watched, so 13 years and counting). Such is the case with the Gall Force OVAs I own. I haven't watched them, so images from them could bite me on the patooie and I wouldn't know where they are from.

I'm not a huge merch guy in any case, especially since I've basically stopped buying figures. Mind you, Anime North is coming up in a little over a month, so how knows? In any case, appreciate the head's up.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I loved the first trilogy of the OVA's, not so much the sequels. Gall Force, Robotech, Fight! Iczer One, and Outlanders were my gateway drugs. So it is nice to still see stuf out there for them.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered Fortune Favors Lady Nikuko via Rightstuf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas - Complete Series + 3 Movies [Blu-ray]
Ghost Busters Afterlife Blu-Ray
Highspots 100 DVD Mystery Box
MJF AEW Action Figure
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I have returned from the steamy, malaria-invested OOP jungle where I mercilessly stalked my helpless prey, sinking my venomous fangs into them like a big sexy cobra! Or something. However, one intended victim did get away. Explanation to follow.

I bought some more OOP titles from the same chap that I got Hyper Police and Gall Force - Eternal Story from. Namely:

Dan Doh! (TV) - $30 CAD. I'm not sure if I would have got this if not for watching and enjoying Birdie Wing this season. Now, I realize these are two very different takes on golf... I'm pretty sure Dan Doh! doesn't have a mafia subplot running through it. But Birdie has sort of whetted my appetite for anime golf.

Haunted Junction (TV) - $25 CAD.

Demon Prince Enma vols. 1 & 2 (OVA) - $5 CAD each.

Alien Defender Geo-Armor: Kishin Corps (OVA) - $15. Nazis ally with aliens during WW2. I don't see how this could possibly suck.

And then the one that got away: Battle Royal High School (not to be confused with Battle Royale). Originally, I had offered - and the seller accepted - $20. I usually check on ebay and Amazon before making on offer, and I was sure I had seen a copy for $50-something but I wasn't gagging to own it so I made a lowball bid.

I guess the seller didn't do his research right away but when he finally did, he discovered you basically can't get a copy of the DVD from Amazon or ebay so the price went up to $75 which was too rich for my blood. Eh, you win some, ya lose some.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Recent purchases:

- I can't draw worth a damn, but decided to get an Apple Pencil to go with my iPad. It will come in handy for when I want to do photo editing/adjusting in Lightroom... which dovetails into my next purchase...

- A monthly subscription to the photography plan for Photoshop & Lightroom, both of which will have a HUGE learning curve for me, especially on the iPad. I have owned a Canon Rebel T3i DSLR camera for 7-8 years and even though I shoot RAW & JPEG, I have never once done any photo editing of my RAWs anywhere, be it in Canon's software or elsewhere (and I admit to not being very skilled with the DSLR in the first place)...

- Pre-ordered Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (digital ver.) for the Switch, which comes out Thursday, June 16 (and is already pre-dowlnoaded to my Switch waiting for the clock to roll over Thursday...)

Supermutant wrote:

MJF AEW Action Figure

Great choice, because he's better than you, and you know it! (I love that he basically stays in character as a slimy @$$hole heel 24/7...MJF is great at this athletic performance art we call pro wrestling...)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered Season 1 of Shadows House via Rightstuf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I need somebody to talk me off the ledge! I have an opportunity to buy the 55 InuYasha single volumes for $200 CAD which is a great price. The thing is that I already own all those episodes on seven box sets (the sets that have 5 discs each). Now, I could sell the seven box sets to defray the cost of the singles. But part of me doesn't really want to part with the box sets - but having both is kind of crazy.

WHAT DO I DO???

eta: Welp, it's too late for an intervention. I've come to an agreement with the seller. As it turns out, I'm buying a bunch of stuff off him so he's giving me slightly better than a 10% discount. So here's the final damage:

Elemental Gelade (the six volume set in a nice artbox) - $54 CAD
55 InuYasha volumes - $180 CAD
Ronin Warriors - 8 TV volumes, 2 Ovas - $108
Dinosaur Kings DVD 1 & 2 - $8

The non-anime stuff: Captain Scarlet Complete Series DVD, Pink Panther Movie Collection DVD and Space 1999 Blu-ray Season 1.

I REGRET NOTHING!!!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Another foray into the Bargain Hunting Warz. While I'm happy with my purchases I can't say I scored any amazing deals.

Battle Royal High School OVA - $60 CAD. I mentioned this title above. I had initially offered the seller $20 which he had accepted. Neither one of us truly understood how rare it was at the time that deal was struck. This title is basically impossible to find on DVD right now. Suddenly the price zipped up to $75 CAD and I declined. Then I saw it listed for $60 and given my innate lust for any super rare OOP title, I couldn't resist.

I also bought (from a different seller) the bare bones DVD release of Sailor Moon seasons 1, 2, 4 and 5. The 4 seasons come in two parts each and I paid $30 per set for a total of $240. They are in immaculate condition. Again, not the most amazing bargain in history, but definitely cheaper than I, as a Canadian, buying them new off of TRSI (and thus dealing with exchange rate and sales tax) or buying them off Amazon.ca.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Battle Royal High School since the early 90s! I remember coming across it around 1988 or so, right around since I had first gotten into anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:34 pm Reply with quote
...and is it the exquisitely elegant and highly intellectual experience I think it will be??? Very Happy
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Just bought Tamayomi via E-Bay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1377 of 1400