• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiddy Grade in your oppinion......

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's a pretty good series if you ignore the last 3 or 4 episodes, which are really stupid. Quite frankly, I think the director just pulled those episodes out of his ass.

Can't entirely disagree with that. It was more the mecha side of it that I had issues with than the plot.

Are you referring to spoiler[ the planet sized ship transforming into a planet sized robot]?

Quote:
Quote:
As for the fanservice... you get a good deal of panty shots curtesy of Eclaire, but that's about it.

Actually there was one significant scene of nudity; episode 12, IIRC, in a sequence that's very revealing in other senses, too.

It's been quite a while since I saw Kiddy Grade. I don't remember nudity.

Quote:
I was also quite pleased with the English dub performances. Eclair is voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard, whom some might know better as the English voice of Hawkeye and Rose on FMA. She has one of the better mid-register voices in anime dubbing but doesn't work heavily because she does a lot of ADR directing, too (including FMA, Kodocha, the upcoming Negima, and the last third of Kiddy Grade). Weirdly, she actually looks a bit like Eclair if you check out her profile picture.

I did have an issue with Kiddy Grade's dub script, however. While not blatantly bad, it does follow FUNi's tendency to play fast and loose with translations and does change the meaning a little in places.

I agree that Kiddy Grade had a good dub in terms of the actual voice acting. I didn't compare the dub to the subtitles and I don't know Japanese, so I can't comment on the dub translation's accuracy.

Also, I felt that the dubbed OP and Ed were done rather well.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Key wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's a pretty good series if you ignore the last 3 or 4 episodes, which are really stupid. Quite frankly, I think the director just pulled those episodes out of his ass.

Can't entirely disagree with that. It was more the mecha side of it that I had issues with than the plot.

Are you referring to spoiler[ the planet sized ship transforming into a planet sized robot]?

Yep.

Quote:
It's been quite a while since I saw Kiddy Grade. I don't remember nudity.

Just went back and watched the ep I was referring to. There's actually quite a bit of it (almost all Eclair) in the scene in episode 12 where spoiler[Eclair refuses to cooperate with the team sent to take them in, so the commander executes the D Command and Armblast dumps Eclair into his case to suspend time so Lumiere can try to save her. They're both naked all through that scene.]

One other note for anyone watching the series on DVD: unless they've been changed, all the DVDs for Kiddy Grade have Easter Eggs. Go to the back arrows at the bottom of the Extras menu screen and click left to find some hidden arrows. When chosen, they play copyright notices that I assume are from the original Japanese DVDs, many of which are voiced in-character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
Based on the first 10-12 episodes I've seen of the series, it's not very good. I really dislike filler episodes and those episodes were pretty much all filler and are some of the worst I've ever seen in anime. Hopefully, it does get better like others have said, but I stopped watching the series in disgust many months ago because of how much of my time I felt I had wasted. I'll get back to where I left off eventually since I paid for the series and like to finish what I started, but it's not something I'm terribly excited about doing anytime soon. I was actually somewhat looking forward to the series in the beginning too but so far it has been really disappointing.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:24 am Reply with quote
I only spot checked the dub which seemed okay, but watched the series primarily in it's Japanese track. The voice actors for Lumiere and Eclaire have to play a few interesting angles to their characters. I firmly believe the Japanese VA pull it off very well, and from these posts it seems the English cast does too. Like some of Funimations previous titles (Blue Gender, Kenshin) the songs are in both English and Japanese. As I mentioned in another post I really like Funimations tiny font which works well on larger sceens as well as the Japanese or English credits which are selectable via the angle feature. One aspect that nobody has mentioned is the amazing BGM (OS) for the series. The "main" instrumental (the eye catch song) song is one of my favorite songs. Make sure you push the "right arrow" key on your remote while the "back to main menu" option is highlighted on the extras sub menu. This Easter Egg contains the original copyright notices performed by various cast members on all eight DVDs. As to the original question, I enjoyed many of the concepts but thought that there were too much filler in the first half of the series. spoiler[I felt that there were some pivotal points where the series could have branched out to some very unconventional, but options to go through the more predictable plot. I also wished that they could have focused more on the flashbacks. The idea of having your main characters looking diferent throughout the series is really cool!]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:25 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And it should be pointed out that neither Lumiere nor Eclaire (nor any of the other ES members) are as young as they look, either. (Oops, can't say anything more on that, as that's actually a major plot point. It is connected to why the series is named what it is, though.) The lolicon thing never even registered for me, though; Lumiere and the other really young one were cute and that's it.
It was fine for me too up until spoiler[that mid episode where the girls were finally trapped on that abandoned satellite and the troups gave then an energy blast that was suppoe to anethsetise the both of them. This blast also just had to strip both of their clothes as well, didn't it. Rolling Eyes . Regardless of how old they actually are.] Lumiere's body was that of a 10-year-old. I cringed at that, but I'm sure it had the loli-pervs drooling. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It was fine for me too up until spoiler[that mid episode where the girls were finally trapped on that abandoned satellite and the troups gave then an energy blast that was suppoe to anethsetise the both of them. This blast also just had to strip both of their clothes as well, didn't it. Rolling Eyes . Regardless of how old they actually are.] Lumiere's body was that of a 10-year-old. I cringed at that, but I'm sure it had the loli-pervs drooling. Wink

Actually spoiler[it didn't blast their clothes off; the couple of times it shifts over to their appearances in the "real world" they're still fully-clothed, as they are when that sequence is finished. The part where they're nude is all going on in some other space; on a mental level, maybe.]

And yeah, I must agree that there's a lot of filler in the first three volumes, a problem the series shares with Witch Hunter Robin. For the person who stopped around ep 10, that's the point when the series starts its big transition and really develops its plot. I'd try it again at least up through ep 15. If those eps don't work for you, either, then there isn't much point in going further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I really want to like it, and I do like bits and pieces of it. Although I've only gotten up to the episodes centering around spoiler[Eclaire and Lumiere raiding the GOTT's headquarters].

But, that said, I'm waiting for the boxed set, selling my DVD's, and buying the set. And if you're a male in the age range of...well...alive. Don't buy this thing in a public place.

For chrissakes, you may love it, but it is openly humiliating to lay one of those DVD's down on the counter. I'd rather buy hermaphrodite pr0n at a Suncoast, with my preacher tending the cash register.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
You haven't seen Divergance Eve have you?

No sir, I have not Smile . I have, unfortunately, been exposed to Eiken and I rue the day I ever saw those screenshots. UGH.
squeakyL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
For the first bit of the series, I found it kinda dull, one "mission of the day" after another.
But after about halfway, it really took off and I really started enjoying it.
It wasn't until spoiler[Eclair and Lumiere go renegade] that things really get going, imo.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:46 am Reply with quote
BTW, if it is romance comedy you want along with your scifi action, Vandread is a better choice as it has all that in spades (and I just picked up the complete series cheap from rightstuf).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AnimeGreen0813

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I actually started giving this a look because of Eclair (hubba hubba), but also Lumiere's intelligence and wisdom should not be overlooked. I've only seen it about halfway through, but it does have some fanservice, some very funny scenes, some sad, but its basically about two girls(mostly mechanical) who have issues and are pretty much victims of oppression. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2