• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Youtube/Copyright unfair

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aibiki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to fair use, isn't is only proven to be fair use or not when actually taken to court? Otherwise it's all speculation.

Generally fair use falls under things you use for education (a picture in a slide show, a clip of a video that demonstrates what's being taught), or things you are reporting on (people giving reviews may post small clips [sometimes, not always], or photos from the series in their report for flavor), or people making news reports accidentally having a tv in shot with anime on the screen, or they're inside the manga section of Barnes and Noble when on-location/in an anime store.

(No where does it state in the fair use clause that you can use copyrighted content for entertainment, which is what AMVs are. )

It doesn't matter if they're not claiming it as their stuff, because they're still using things that aren't theirs to use, without legal right to use it. And the money making thing could be happening, as they can enable ads on their videos and get revenue money from that.
otakumachinegun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
To shed a little more light on fair use, you may want to check outhttp://youtu.be/zyRR41HL5eM
It is a panel by Mark Hosler from the band Negativland,who was sued in the '90's by the band U2 for using lyrics from the song "I still haven't found what I'm looking for".
Not to mention radio DJ Casey Kasem had them investigated by the FBI.
Mark and Negativland were probably one of the first people to champion the "Fair Use" act.
Hope you will find this helpful...
darknessblades

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
i hate this to

a lot of corporation have this
even smaller people that tov tokyo, bandai, ect
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2