• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-08-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
Isn't 30 still kind of young? I was expecting the guy to say like 45 or something. That way he would have experienced anime in the late 80s (because he would have been < 7 years old at that time, not really old enough to be into such an indie hobby at the time).

Is there something I'm missing in the punchline?

Because he's going on about "kids these days" and acting like he'd been around since the advent of anime, yet he's only some 30 year old know-it-all type.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm only 26, but here in Romania, things went a little differently then in the states. First time anime was on TV here was in 1988. And then, in the 90's we go to see Sailor Moon, in italian. Her name was Bunny. Every day, the first 3 seasons would air on 3 different channels at three different hours. in the mornings, at 10:00, season 1 on Italia 1. At 2 PM, R on Canale 5 and at 9 PM S on Rete4. Me, my sister and my father would watch Sailor Moon S in Italian each day......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
OncelostLu wrote:
I'm 23 and while I didn't really start collecting anime until recently, I do recall watching Tenchi on vhs. Also, I remember watching Sailor Moon and she was eating donuts. Does she not eat those anymore or something?

I haven't seen Sailor Moon (it was too girly for me when I was younger even though I am a girl). But that comment about the donuts made me think of the "Jelly filled donuts" they ate in Pokémon (a.k.a. Onigiri or rice balls). That kind of localization was really common back then, so I'm going to guess that they did a similar thing in Sailor Moon's dub.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I am 26 Anime hyper Anime hyper and I still lived the times seeing anime on the copy of the copy of the copy, import merchandise being completely precious and hard to get Anime hyper Bad dubs... not so much as dubs in Mexico used to be decent but I do remember hearing american dubs on the vhs and suffering them...

I do started earlier in the fandom by the way Anime hyper Ten years? I have been active even more than a decade myself Anime hyper Anime hyper

But if I can be honest, I prefer having simulcasts and internet shops like now, even if newer fans don't apreciate how much things have changed Razz Razz
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
33 here. I was born in 1980 so I remember quite a few of the major milestones like Voltron, Robotech and the like getting on TV, US cartoons animated by Japanese studios, and the boom of Japanese video gaming.

Then in the early 90s I saw anime for what it was for the first time when Sci-Fi channel launched and did a special block called "Adventures in Japanese Animation" showing Vampire Hunter D, Lens Man, and Robot Carnival back to back. They also did the "Sci-Fi Channel Cartoon Quest" in the mornings which featured a man, woman, and boy dressed like Connan apparently looking for cartoons in the wild. They would show both the old and new Gigantor, Transformers, and a few other things.

In the mid 90s the local video rental chains started stocking a pretty good selection of anime for the time. Rented the good and the bad without much care, pretty sure I watched nearly everything at least once. People talk a lot about Streamline, but Orion had a few good titles, too.

It was in 98 that I actually started buying anime. I can still remember the first three VHS tapes I bought, I found them at salvage store with some minor smoke damage: The last volume of Tenchi Universe, the second to the last volume of Street Fighter II V, and Fire Emblem. Didn't matter that they were out of order, they were anime! Plus I think they only cost around $3 each.

After that ball got rolling my brother and I started making weekly trips to one of the two major malls in the state to basically blow our entire paychecks (which back then wasn't much). Sure they were both about 70 miles away, but gas only cost .97 cents a gallon so it didn't really matter. Regular trips to Suncoast, Sam Goody, and Saturday Matinee (now FYE) were just a part of life. In 2000 my brother bought our first DVD player and the Record of Lodoss War collection.

By the mid 00s things change pretty drastically. The old rental places closed, Hollywood Video openened with a different rental selection, but then eventually closed as well. A Sam Goody openned in town which ended the need to travel, but that eventually closed after a few years, too. One of the two malls became completely void of all entertainment stuff (Suncoast, Gamestop, KB Toys) so the need to go there was gone. Best Buy opened nearby, but of course they don't sell much anime anymore either. Bittorent came along and I watched a lot of fan subs, but today I don't even have it installed on my PC.

Obviously the bubble bursting didn't kill my interest in anime, after all that all happened in the time I've been here. Biggest changes now are that I don't have to travel to buy anime anymore and the buik of my viewing is online via simulcasts anyway.

Emerje (why did I write so much!?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as a member of the over 40 crowd! This strip pretty much summed up my early years as an anime fan!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Hurrah, some Gall Force love.

One more year to the half century mark for me.

My early anime were Project AKO, Gall Force, BubbleGum Crisis, Outlanders, and Iczer One.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
sigh i guess i fall into this category aside from VHS fan-sub tapes. I"m turning 28 this year and yeah the fandom has changed/grown a-lot over the past 20 years I've been watching anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I guessed his age the second he hit "Serena eating donuts." She did it before Brock made it cool!

I never watched Gall Force or KOR, but that awful Sailor Moon dub was basically my introduction to anime. Yeah, I'm about the same age as that guy.

Personally, though, I love most of the changes we've had over the years. Remembering those hideous 4th generation fansubbed tapes just makes me appreciate the marvel of same-day subtitled streams even more.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Key wrote:
This makes me feel old. (I have a decade on everyone else who has posted so far.)

I'll see your decade and raise you five. Wink

I'll see your five and raise you another five more. Yup, same age as Doctor Who (the show's age, not the Doctor's Smile ) Love of animation started back when I was about seven or eight watching a 16mm print of Disney's Pinocchio at a local school or somewhere. Have loved all forms of animation ever since. Fortunately, by the time I started getting into anime, VHS had given way to DVDs (I was a Beta guy anyway). Better still, now we have BDs. Very Happy
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Meygaera wrote:
Isn't 30 still kind of young? I was expecting the guy to say like 45 or something. That way he would have experienced anime in the late 80s (because he would have been < 7 years old at that time, not really old enough to be into such an indie hobby at the time).

Because he's going on about "kids these days" and acting like he'd been around since the advent of anime, yet he's only some 30 year old know-it-all type.

I wouldn't really call it a know-it-all attitude, since that's really how the anime industry has gone here in the US. Sure, it sounds like the classic "fifteen miles to school, in the snow, uphill both ways" bluster, but it's all true. Look at things like how far computers have come in just 30 years, from cute novelties to an everyday part of life. In fact, most of us here probably have a smartphone or MP3 player that's more powerful and sophisticated than our first computer, and yet it still fits comfortably in our pockets.

Speaking as someone who's just shy of 30, I remember when my brother bought a VHS tape from VKLL of the "Lost Episodes" of Sailor Moon R (the ones where they went to the future, which DIC never dubbed), which came on a purple cassette. I remember one of the local UHF stations running anime movies late Saturday nights, which was how I first experienced Castle of Cagliostro. I remember having a friend who thought the scene in the first episode of Ranma 1/2 where he opens his top and sees breasts was the funniest thing in the world. And yeah, I remember being the dude in high school who all the up-and-coming DBZ fans came to because they wanted to know what happened beyond the Funimation dub (which at that point was still on Namek). Also, no joke, I actually had someone ask me if DragonMoon X (that cruddy hentai where Goku and friends get busy with the Sailor Senshi) was for real. Heck, I remember being introduced to Gundam when our friend, who owned the local comic shop, showed me a bootleg version of the Char's Counterattack game for PS1 and we spent ages getting into epic duels; the moment we figured out how to access our subweapons was like the "monkey touching the monolith" moment from 2001.

Last edited by AmuroNT1 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I remember the first Derpcon like it was yesterday.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm 18, and have never felt more like I was a child. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I watched Toonami (and later the anime lineup on [adult swim]) religiously as a youngster, so I identified as an anime fan for most of my life. It's kinda hard to place a marker on when I would say I started to really become a fan. I mean it was more of a gradual transition than just "I saw an anime when I was X years old and was hooked from there." I guess I would count it from about 4-5 years ago when I discovered ANN and spent like a week researching just about every anime ever to watch with a friend. That was about the time I started my collection (I didn't even mean to really collect, I just wanted to support the creators of incredible shows and wanted a way for my friend and I to watch series together). Even then though I did plenty before that. I watched most of my anime on tv prior to that, but I subscribed to Shonen Jump as a kid, bought every Death Note volume that was out at the time in middle school (still never got the last two volumes), and of course streamed a couple series in awful, awful quality from any place I found with a google search, or on Youtube (still in awful quality/trollsubs/etc).

So yeah, I think that I got into anime the same way that most kids- err... adul-... people of my age got into anime. Except instead of stopping when Toonami went downhill, I eventually came to import blurays and am enrolled in a Japanese class.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:

A lot of this was still going on in the late 90s. It wasn't until 2000 or so that anime blew up. Also the internet may have been a thing in the 90s but even downloading an mp3 could take hours. Online streaming was just a dream then. And there was still fansub tapes going around (again DVDs didn't become popular until about '00). I had a few. Only the first 13 episodes of Utena were available for a long time so I got the rest of the series fansubbed. I could go on.

I think in essence the joke is the "olden times" were not really that long ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MacrossJunkie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
This strip makes me feel old. I started watching Anime as a hobby in 1985, when ROBOTECH first hit the air here in the U.S.

To be honest, I was expecting the guy in the strip to say he was at least 36 or 37, but was quite surprised by 30.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7