• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-08-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bones2039

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
I'm 30, but I didn't really get into anime until around 2005 or so, so I can't really say I get what it was like back in the 90's. I did grow up watching Transformers and Voltron and I knew of anime, but I just didn't think too much about it. I knew that the weird looking guy on one of my high school nordic ski team shirts was some dude from DBZ, but that really didn't register beyond that. It wasn't until later when I was bored with TV that I really started watching anime.

I do however get the 30 year old guy basically talking about "back in my day" like a much older person would. I do the same thing at work since I've worked at the same place for almost 15 years and have done many different jobs there.
Stullz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Just about to hit 29 and I too remember the days before this new-fangled internet/streaming/torrenting/IRC/fansubbing.

Though by the time I became an anime fan during my freshman year of college (courtesy of finally giving in and watching Cowboy Bebop, thanks to my neighbor's insistance) I have never looked back.

Though I did watch things like Robotech and a few other various Anime's when I was young, it wasn't until my late teens that I really acknowledged them as Anime. (When I re-watched them). I didn't care for anime at all for the longest time, due to my experience with late night ads for the hyper-violent CMX releases that would run during episodes Star Trek Voyager, and my opinion was set in stone that it was all just super violent/ or childish crap (my opinion of Pokemon at the time). I was a hater because of the stereotypes.

Though years later I have come full-circle as a Digital Designer(Animator/Graphics) and I look back and realize how much anime affected my life even before I became a fan, things that were Japanese that I never even realized. But thanks to my friend's persistance that Bebop would change my opinion... I now have a Anime/Manga DVD collection approaching 2000 volumes... and a healthy (maybe slightly obsessive) respect for it all.
kamui85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
this is so accurate, im 28 and i feel like him...
Relairknight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
41. Buncha youngsters you all. We thought a treasure was a not-too-worn-our videoclub* copy of "Warriors of the Wind" or "Area 88". And what do you mean Sabrina real name is "Madoka"? Full OP and END? Luxury!

* a shop where you did rent videos** and you should return them after -rewound, please-

** VHS, what's "BD"?

YES! I had some ancient Warriors of the Wind VHS someone taped off HBO or something that I watched and watched til it started to wear out. I think I still have it, tucked away in some cozy box somewhere in a closet. Never would have dreamed down the line you'd be able to plunk down 10 bucks and get sparkling new dvd of it lol. And Sailor Moon will always be Serena to me damnit, even though I've known her original name forever. When I read the new manga my eyes just kind of skip over 'Usagi' and in my head it pops out 'Serena' every time...its the weirdest thing. Ahh good times. Oh and because everyone else did it, (thanks peer pressure!) 31.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:
I wouldn't really call it a know-it-all attitude, since that's really how the anime industry has gone here in the US. Sure, it sounds like the classic "fifteen miles to school, in the snow, uphill both ways" bluster, but it's all true. Look at things like how far computers have come in just 30 years, from cute novelties to an everyday part of life. In fact, most of us here probably have a smartphone or MP3 player that's more powerful and sophisticated than our first computer, and yet it still fits comfortably in our pockets.

That's how I saw it too. He's relating the fact that modern day anime fans only like shows for their glitz and gloss; they can also be selfish and spoiled little entitled brats who want their subbed anime for free online. When we were younger, we paid for our subbed anime, whether it was Laserdisc, VHS or DVD. And it's not like it isn't true either. Things now are different from how they were "back in the day". Us older fans aren't old, we just tend to compare what we've lived through to what we're experiencing now.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
28 here.

I agree, darn kids and their simulcasts and every new title available! They take anime for granted!

Now let me go find my copy of a copy of a Love Hina special VHS. I might even still have "Electric Porygon Hero" somewhere...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Hey anyone remember Force Five? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Five)

Used to get the odd one on VHS in the mid 80's but that is about as old anime as i can go.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
This is actually a big part of why this was the first year I had been to a con after taking several years off. When I discovered that the convention was primarily populated by people who considered stuff from the early 2000s old, I figured it might be time to move on. I know it is all relative, but it still takes some of the fun out of it.
VinceA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
This is actually a big part of why this was the first year I had been to a con after taking several years off. When I discovered that the convention was primarily populated by people who considered stuff from the early 2000s old, I figured it might be time to move on. I know it is all relative, but it still takes some of the fun out of it.

We at AnimeNEXT try to have programming for people like you since I'm one of you Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ah, young punks and old geezers, and sometimes they aren't who you expect them to be... as I am pushin 49 now, I guess I count as an elder... OTOH, I didn't descend into full anime mania 'till about 10 years ago. I had seen it, way, way back in college when Robotech was on every afternoon in 1985... I'm guessing I had seen Starblazers at some point on some prolly PBS channel. And then? I was probably just not the quite age space to go feverishly search for anime titles... so I let it drop. Other interests continued, but the were based on ease of access... you could GET a bladerunner tape. I had a BETA copy of Heavy Metal that was recorded off HBO... I rewatched some of Robotech on the FHE VHS rentals... but the luster in them was gone.

And then time flies. In another Science Fiction fandom I spotted an interesting avatar on a forum, so I asked about it... "you HAVE TO WATCH THIS!" OK, so, this person already shares my interest in SF movies and tele, what the heck, I'll bite.
The avatar is Spike Spiegel, and the show Cowboy Bebop.

Now how many times have you heard THAT happen?
So I bought the movie, which was out at the time on DVD. And began the long spiral down, where you'd find a series you liked, and you could find every disk EXCEPT one... usually the fifth or 6th one. Scouring used stores, and sketchy shops. Watching stuff on youtube in 3 sections, because of their 10 minute constraint.
Learning to read subtitles really fast. Getting fully engulfed in the drahma surrounding imports from Hong Kong.

And watching both of my children who are now early and late teens, pick up on what I am watching and really running with it... because: storytelling. You see? It all tells a story, and HOW does it tell a story? Then the younger falls into Naruto fanfic, and you KNOW how many circles of hell that is. So she is a reader more and will consume ANY interesting book, manga or light novel, while #1 son is mostly visual and wants the vid. We watch, all of us, and read together. At cons it's cool to see the next thing, the new cosplay, and the things that new fans have picked up.
They have the same feverish look in their eyes.

I don't begrudge the new fan their realative ease of getting 'content'. We ALL have another problem, and it IS that ease of content. It is the dreaded: Backlog. WHAT do you watch in the embarrassment of riches? How many gems are missed because they "took a while to get good" so you dropped them, because "LOOK, SHINEY!"
Rather than being an old curmudgeon saying "you kids! git offa my lawn!" I want to be the guy that says: "really? and what about this new anime grabbed you? What makes it worth watching?" Let the impassioned acolyte sell you on why "it's the best thing evar!" You may find yourself watching something amazing, or avoiding the next sweatermellons-violating-all-laws-of-physics show because it has no heart. I can forgive many things if it has heart.
And feel free to look over your glasses at the new kids and say "don't let the old timers get you down... so tell me, what's the next thing I should be watching?"

fabu show Robin... it's a great Nina Wink
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
OK here guys, take the old, old......... old "Otaku-ness Purity Test"!
(It's so old, it's still hosted on Tripod, remember those?)

Holy crap, yes! I remember going through all of those fansites on Tripod and Geocities. And we'd find them all through Anipike (which is still up, BTW; in fact, you can still use their classic site design for some super nostalgia! Good luck finding any links that still work, though.)

I gotta say, reading through this thread has been a blast, guys and gals. It makes me wonder if there isn't a place online where we can all hang out. I keep thinking about starting a subreddit and calling it r/RetroAnime or something. Is there some forum or website that I haven't found yet that's for old-school otaku like us?
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm 25, soon to be 26 in another week or two, and I identified with this strip way more than I probably should have.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm old enough to remember when the big Japanese import wasn't anime, it was Godzilla.

But I don't think it's so much about age as when one gets/got into anime. I got into it back when the first dubbed movies started appearing on TV. I saw some of the Saturday morning stuff but never considered it anything special.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
While I can't compare to many of the more veteran fans here, I can still recall when the WB ran Cardcaptors on Saturdays, watching Sailor Moon and DBZ on Toonami on weekday afternoons, and enjoying the fan art they showed with Tom (not to mention his adventures "in between" the shows and commercials, which were all kinds of epic).

I still have a hard time reconciling Usagi with Serena, and Chibi Moon/Chibi Usa with Sailor Mini Moon/Rini. They are staples of my childhood, silly Americanizations or no. Rolling Eyes
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
I still prefer being an older anime fan. A lot of anime these days are remakes or third seasons of shows that first appeared years ago. The young-un's won't know the backstory of things like Rozen Maiden which is the most profound show for me right now (and even that title is sorta newish).

Not to mention the Berserk movies and the Eva movies. I got into anime when those shows were at their prime!

That's a lot of catching up to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7