Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to Air Ghibli Movies


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Steventheeunuch





PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
The title said Ghibli Movies, plural, if read the article you would know that CN has the right to air the entire library that TCM had. Which includes the movie "Mononoke Hime".


On top of this, it's doubtful Studio Ghibli would allow editing of their films. I mean, they certianly didn't allow them to edit Mononoke nearly a decade ago, what makes you think their stance would have changed?
Back to top
Kouji



Joined: 01 Oct 2005
Posts: 978
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Hold it, hold it, hold it, hold it..



Anyway, all things considered, I have come to the conclusion that the fact that the Ghibli films are anime have nothing to do with their showing on the Cartoon Network; the fact that they are anime is merely a coincidence. In this case, and this case only, it's no different than showing a live-action film. In addition, this is yet another random occurence. For these reasons, I will not be watching the TOON showings of the Ghibli movies.



In terms of Studio Ghibli, if they were to broadcast something like "Majo no Takkyuubin" ("Kiki's Delivery Service") or "Tonari no Totoro" ("[My] Neighbor Totoro") in their "Adult Swim" block, then that would be crossing the line (since these ARE family friendly films by American standards, as well as Japanese), and I would not be watching this channel anymore. This also goes for:
One more thing, I have reason to suspect that the Ghibli movies were only shown on TCM as a "test", and that they were actually going to show them on TOOM from the beginning, which is why the dubbed versions air at 8:00 PM EST on TCM.
So, the fact that Cartoon Network airs lots of anime on Toonami and Adult Swim has nothing to do with the fact that they're anime, either? You make abosuletly zero sense. Why would Cartoon Network air Studio Ghibli's kid-friendy films on Adult Swim? Adult Swim is clearly a block for more mature programs. With the expection of Mononokehime, Studio Ghibli films are all family-friendly. Even Kiki's Delivery Service was aired on Toon Disney. Cartoon Network is not that stupid to air Studio Ghibli's kid-friendly films on Adult Swim, so why do you believe that they will? And you obiviously don't keep up with anime news.

The reason why TCM aired Studio Ghibli films this past month was to celebrate Miyazaki-san's birthday, which was also that month. It has nothing at all to do with Cartoon Network nor does the dubbed versions being aired at 8:00 p.m. The reason why the dubbed versions were being aired at that timeslot is because it's the best timeslot in primetime for them to be aired where people are actually at home and kids are actually awake to see them. The subtitled versions were aired at a later timeslot simply because there's less interest among the general public in watching subtitled movies than there is in dubbed versions. If TCM were airing these as a "test" for Cartoon Network, why would Cartoon Network have to buy these movies from them? Wouldn't Cartoon Network already have the rights to them if that was the case? You claim that you have reasons to believe TCM aired Studio Ghibli films as a "test" for Cartoon Network, so please actually back up your reasons with proof the next time you make a claim like that.

"The title said Ghibli Movies, plural, if you read the article you would know that CN got the rights to air the entire library that TCM had. Which includes the movie "Mononoke Hime"."

Just because Cartoon Network has the rights to all of the Studio Ghibli films doesn't automatically mean they're going to air all of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
.Sy



Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Posts: 1266
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, Ghibli films get publicized a little more. I'm sure Spirited Away, Pom Poko, Whisper of the Hearts, and whatever else TCM gave a G rating would fly, but they'd have to do a bit of editing with Mononoke, or air it a little later. I'm not sure I'd be happy about the editing, but since I own the DVD anyway, it doesn't really matter.


I do agree that since Ghibli films are very highly thought of by many, the airing is more due to the fact that they are high quality films, and not just because they are anime. It does have some reflection on the popularity of anime on CN, but that's not the main reason why they are being shown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scatteredshadows



Joined: 13 Oct 2004
Posts: 22
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
One thing to keep in mind regarding Ghibli films being edited is that, AFAIK, ANY edits/cuts due to content have to be approved by Ghibli. This was their arrangement with Disney, so I'd imagine that the same conditions would need to be met by any other entity that's releasing Ghibli material. Assuming this is the case, CN will likely show Mononoke late in the evening and with some serious warnings attached. (ed - Looks like I missed the message posted above that makes my point...)

Another interesting element here is that the CN airings, I believe, mark the first time any Ghibli films will air with commercial interruptions. I can hardly wait to see who will buy ad time during the various Ghibli films. Imagine if the same companies advertise during say, Totoro and Mononoke...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RezSav



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 542
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just because Cartoon Network has the rights to all of the Studio Ghibli films doesn't automatically mean they're going to air all of them.


Nor did I say it, his point was why was everyone jumping to the conclusion that they would air it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheVileOne



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 271
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:25 am Reply with quote
This is great, Ghibli and Miyazaki movies BELONG on Cartoon Network.

Porco Rosso would be perfect for Cartoon Network was well.

As for the dubs, at least they are high quality ones. What else did you expect them to use?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheHTRO



Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
[quote=Kouji]So, the fact that Cartoon Network airs lots of anime on Toonami and Adult Swim has nothing to do with the fact that they're anime, either?[/quote]

You're the one who said it, not me. Toonami (which clearly does air "anime") has nothing to do with this. As I said, the fact that the Ghibli films happen to be anime is just a coincidence. The Ghibli films aren't promoted as being "anime", they just simply are, whereas the programming on Toonami indirectly promotes itself as being anime (w/ obvious exceptions such as Teen Titans).

[quote=Kouji]Cartoon Network is not that stupid to air Studio Ghibli's kid-friendly films on Adult Swim...[/quote]

Unfortunately, neither you or I know that. Hence...

[quote=Kouji]...so why do you believe that they will?[/quote]

Having now expanded into live-action programming (which makes the name "CARTOON Network" meaningless), we really can't put anything past them anymore.

[quote=Kouji]And you obiviously don't keep up with anime news.[/quote]

I do so. I read the ANN article about it, didn't I?

[quote=Kouji]The reason why TCM aired Studio Ghibli films this past month was to celebrate Miyazaki-san's birthday, which was also that month. It has nothing at all to do with Cartoon Network nor does the dubbed versions being aired at 8:00 p.m.[/quote]

That was the "official" reason. Even if it really was the case (which I'm sure it was), it could also have doubled as a "test" for a possible Cartoon Network showing (i.e., there could have been some ulterior motive). For this reason, the fact that the Ghibli movies just "happen" to also be airing on TOON (which is owned by the same company as TCM) is, IMO, far too coincidental.

[quote=Kouji]If TCM were airing these as a "test" for Cartoon Network, why would Cartoon Network have to buy these movies from them?[/quote]

They wouldn't have to. As I said, they're owned by the same company.

[quote=Kouji]Wouldn't Cartoon Network already have the rights to them if that was the case?[/quote]

Yeah, exactly.

[quote=Kouji] You claim that you have reasons to believe TCM aired Studio Ghibli films as a "test" for Cartoon Network, so please actually back up your reasons with proof the next time you make a claim like that.[/quote]

Okay, fine. So I don't have any official information to back that up. However, all things considered (including, but not linited to, TOON's expansion into live-action programming), this has to be the most likely scenario.

I have been trying to avoid referring to something that I had always thought about TOON, but which was confirmed to me by TOON airing live-action programming. Not wanting to unintentionally offend viewers who watch TOON, however, I have been keeping it to myself, especially since I continue to watch TOON (for now...).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RezSav



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 542
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[quote=Kouji]Cartoon Network is not that stupid to air Studio Ghibli's kid-friendly films on Adult Swim...

Unfortunately, neither you or I know that. Hence...


Yes we do, AS is its own network on the same channel. CN has no control over AS what-so-ever.

Quote:
That was the "official" reason. Even if it really was the case (which I'm sure it was), it could also have doubled as a "test" for a possible Cartoon Network showing (i.e., there could have been some ulterior motive). For this reason, the fact that the Ghibli movies just "happen" to also be airing on TOON (which is owned by the same company as TCM) is, IMO, far too coincidental.


Okay, now you're grasping to straw. You've retracted from your previous statement and are now just making it up as you go along. You say it's coincidental, and it is, for CN. Now they don't have to waste a fortune buying the rights to ghibli movies, they can get it from TCM for half price.

Their really is no argument left here, so lets move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
.Sy



Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Posts: 1266
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
scatteredshadows wrote:
Another interesting element here is that the CN airings, I believe, mark the first time any Ghibli films will air with commercial interruptions. I can hardly wait to see who will buy ad time during the various Ghibli films. Imagine if the same companies advertise during say, Totoro and Mononoke...
Hmm yeah, I noticed that TCM did them commercial free. Or maybe TCM always does that...I don't usually go anywhere besides CN/AS and the news. That would be interesting. *Imagines commercials for YGO action figures*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheHTRO



Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:27 am Reply with quote
First of all, RezSav, don't give me that "AS is a separate network" stuff, because that REALLY makes no difference whatsoever (the whole separate network thing is just for viewer ratings reports). Cartoon Network by any other name is still Cartoon Network.

Second, did you even read the post you quoted? I said it was TOO coincidental. All January, TCM airs them as a Miyazaki tribute, and just immediately after that TOON starts airing (at least) one of them, to possibly be the first in a series of weeks where they air other Ghibli movies. I feel that this is too much of a coincidence to actually BE a coincidence. For this reason, I believe that TOON was going to air them from the beginning, but that in order to test viewer reactions, they decided to air them on TCM in January which just happens to be the month of Miyazaki's birthday. Stuff like this takes months to plan out, and all things considered, this has to be the most likely scenario.

So, are we all clear this time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RezSav



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 542
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
From the Turner Press Release: "[AS] will be listed as an individual ad-supported basic cable television network alongside Cartoon Network, each receiving separate, official Nielsen ratings and delivery performance reports covering key audience demographics. Both services will continue to be programmed and marketed independently to appeal to their primary target viewers—Cartoon Network to kids 6-11, 2-11 and tweens 9-14; Adult Swim to young adults 18-34 and 18-24."

What does that mean? It means AS is essentially its own network, since March of last year.

I got your point, so you can stop repeating yourself, but what I'm saying is you're reading too much into it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kouji



Joined: 01 Oct 2005
Posts: 978
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:


[quote=Kouji]Cartoon Network is not that stupid to air Studio Ghibli's kid-friendly films on Adult Swim...


Unfortunately, neither you or I know that. Hence...

[quote=Kouji]...so why do you believe that they will?[/quote]

Having now expanded into live-action programming (which makes the name "CARTOON Network" meaningless), we really can't put anything past them anymore.



That was the "official" reason. Even if it really was the case (which I'm sure it was), it could also have doubled as a "test" for a possible Cartoon Network showing (i.e., there could have been some ulterior motive). For this reason, the fact that the Ghibli movies just "happen" to also be airing on TOON (which is owned by the same company as TCM) is, IMO, far too coincidental.

[quote=Kouji]If TCM were airing these as a "test" for Cartoon Network, why would Cartoon Network have to buy these movies from them?[/quote]

They wouldn't have to. As I said, they're owned by the same company.

[quote=Kouji]Wouldn't Cartoon Network already have the rights to them if that was the case?[/quote]

Yeah, exactly.

[quote=Kouji] You claim that you have reasons to believe TCM aired Studio Ghibli films as a "test" for Cartoon Network, so please actually back up your reasons with proof the next time you make a claim like that.[/quote]

Okay, fine. So I don't have any official information to back that up. However, all things considered (including, but not linited to, TOON's expansion into live-action programming), this has to be the most likely scenario.

I have been trying to avoid referring to something that I had always thought about TOON, but which was confirmed to me by TOON airing live-action programming. Not wanting to unintentionally offend viewers who watch TOON, however, I have been keeping it to myself, especially since I continue to watch TOON (for now...).[/quote]Just because Cartoon Network is airing live-action films doesn't mean they'll be airing children's movies on Adult Swim. As already stated earlier in the thread, Adult Swim is considered to be a seperate network altogether from the Cartoon Network, so the Cartoon Network's decision to air live-action films has nothing to do with Adult Swim. Until Adult Swim actually does air children's films on its block, you are complaining about abosuletly nothing. Has Adult Swim aired Miyazaki's children's movies yet? No. So, until they do, can you stop whining about something that hasn't even happened yet? As I already said, you have abosuletly no proof at all that TCM aired Studio Ghibli films as a test for Cartoon Network, so you're complaining about nothing. And even if they did air these movies as a test, why are you complaining? No matter what the reason was for Cartoon Network and TCM to air these movies, isn't it a GOOD thing that they're even being aired at all? Isn't it a GOOD thing that these movies are getting the publicity they deserve? Why are you focused so much on the negative aspects of this decision and not the positive? Why are you whining about something that's utimately a good thing? Your complaint makes abosuletly no sense at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheHTRO



Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:33 am Reply with quote
(sigh) I can see that we are not going to agree.

I would be focusing on the positive aspects of it, IF I didn't think that there was some kind of ulterior motive. In addition, maybe I don't have proof, but you can't take everything you see at face value (TOON just "happening" to show the Ghibli movies after TCM), nor can you believe everything you hear (specifically, the whole "separate network" nonsense; "Nick at Nite" is a "separate network", but they're technically still Nickelodeon, however, I digress).

Look, the Ghibli movies may technically be anime, but unlike Toonami, the mere fact that they are anime is, in this case, and in this case only, just a coincidence. In the case of the Ghibli movies. They might as well be airing live-action films in this case.

[quote=Kouji]Just because Cartoon Network is airing live-action films doesn't mean they'll be airing children's movies on Adult Swim.[/quote]

With all due respect, you really don't know that. Trust me, it's that serious.

Look, believe what you want, but as I said, you can't take everything at face value, and you can't always believe everything you hear. Plus, given TOON's past history, benefit of the doubt can't really apply in this case.

Sayonara.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RezSav



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 542
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:55 am Reply with quote
It's not nonsense, its fact. You're just fabricating the facts to fit with your story. Where's tempest, I want to know what he has to say about all this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kouji



Joined: 01 Oct 2005
Posts: 978
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
(sigh) I can see that we are not going to agree.

I would be focusing on the positive aspects of it, IF I didn't think that there was some kind of ulterior motive. In addition, maybe I don't have proof, but you can't take everything you see at face value (TOON just "happening" to show the Ghibli movies after TCM), nor can you believe everything you hear (specifically, the whole "separate network" nonsense; "Nick at Nite" is a "separate network", but they're technically still Nickelodeon, however, I digress).

Look, the Ghibli movies may technically be anime, but unlike Toonami, the mere fact that they are anime is, in this case, and in this case only, just a coincidence. In the case of the Ghibli movies. They might as well be airing live-action films in this case.



With all due respect, you really don't know that. Trust me, it's that serious.

Look, believe what you want, but as I said, you can't take everything at face value, and you can't always believe everything you hear. Plus, given TOON's past history, benefit of the doubt can't really apply in this case.

Sayonara.
Once again, you have no proof that TCM aired these movies a test for Cartoon Network, and as I said, even if they did, WHO CARES? As long as these movies are being aired at all, who gives a shit if TCM had ulterior motives for it? Do you see anyone else giving a crap if TCM aired these movies for any ulterior motive? No. Because it's not a big deal and nobody cares. And why should Cartoon Network might as well be airing live-action movies just because they're airing anime outside of Toonami? You are aware that anime is Japanese ANIMATION, right? So, why does that mean they might as well be airing live-action? Once again, you make abosuletly zero sense and I doubt even you understand what you're saying because I sure as hell don't. Nicklodeon airs music videos on their network, but has that effected Nick-At-Nite in any way? So, why should Cartoon Network airing live-action films during the rest of their schedule effect Adult Swim in any way? Has Adult Swim aired children's movies on their block yet? NO. So, can you please stop whining about something that hasn't even happened yet?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group