• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Pop Vulture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru would still be Professor Tomoe's daughter, and Chibiusa wouldn't exist because there's no magic or time-travel, but I suppose Hotaru can have a friend that looks just like Chibiusa.

EDIT: I'm mainly only interested in reinventing the first season of Sailor Moon, with a handful of elements from other seasons but only ones that'd make sense in a non-magical-girl context.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Hotaru would still be Professor Tomoe's daughter, and Chibiusa wouldn't exist because there's no magic or time-travel, but I suppose Hotaru can have a friend that looks just like Chibiusa.

EDIT: I'm mainly only interested in reinventing the first season of Sailor Moon, with a handful of elements from other seasons but only ones that'd make sense in a non-magical-girl context.

they could just along and say that it really is her cousin after all, but moving on.. I i am missing 3 volumes from love hina.... crap well I hope this doesn't make them skyrocket, and for those who lost their jobs I know the feeling I was layed off last year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Would anyone even miss Chibiusa if she wasn't included in a reboot? She's the Scrappy Doo or Robin the Frog of Sailor Moon.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Would anyone even miss Chibiusa if she wasn't included in a reboot? She's the Scrappy Doo or Robin the Frog of Sailor Moon.

well Chibiusa was popular with the younger girls as they had someone to relate too. also some lolicon fans might miss her. (which is also why they included Sailor Luna in the live action version, because I guess there's a rule that a jail-bait senshi has to be included Anime hyper)

also if there's no Chibiusa, then there's no Helios. and I would miss Helios....
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
On a completely different subject, I laugh at people who think that Viz canceling a few series is something new and a sign of impending doom.

I'm still waiting for Viz to resume Urusei Yatsura and Mobile Police Patlabor, which Viz both put on hiatus in 1998-99, dagnabit!
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I'd be wary of on an anime reboot is what Toei would do. At Mipcom Toei Animation's press release said they were showing a "reversioned" Sailor Moon to potential suitors. They never clarified if that meant a restoration, or a reversion akin to Dragon Ball Kai. If it's the later (and it's something Toei has been wanting to do for a while - exploit older animation with re-releases) I'd be slightly concerned. Kai is a very lazy show, and didn't even finish the entirety of the manga.

As for Tokyo Pop's demise, I was slightly surprised there was no mention of how the Japanese (from an outsider's perspective) kind of pushed them into a corner in terms of potential title licenses. Kodansha revoked all of the titles they owned that Tokyo Pop licensed (just like Sojitz did to ADV) in favour of opening their own branch. This left a pretty huge hole in Tokyo Pop's catalog as a tonne of series just weren't going to be released by them anymore.

Viz has the support of Shueshia and Shogakukan which likely means they have the first look rights to any of their Japanese titles. Yen has the support of a major book publisher, as well as having a decent relationship with Square Enix. Which all makes it just seem that Tokyo Pop had nothing to license. They couldn't outbid anyone because the other publishers have huge companies behind them when Tokyo Pop just had Stu. They were left with the scraps the others left behind, and titles from much smaller anthologies. I feel as though TP was destined to close eventually as they wouldn't have the content to carry on.
nokishoff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Retracted

Last edited by nokishoff on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I had to laugh out loud when I heard Zac say "Well then she could have just drawn better" best ever.

I would love to see a remake of Doremi or see someone who would properly license it here. Or make Rainbow Brite into an intelligent remake Anime hyper. One day Hallmark one day...
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Loved the podcast, especially the nuanced and extensive discussion on TokyoPoop. Smile I wish I knew 12% as much as the hosts do about the anime and manga industries.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I am very curious about this, but I am hard of hearing and can not hear voices that well.

Is it possible to get a script of what is said?
Farix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the charter subscribers to Mixxzine way back when. Even then Levy's "ADHD", as Erica described it, was plain to see. He first created Mixxzine as a manga anthology. Then he transformed it into a pop culture magazine by the second year, unceremoniously dumping Sailor Moon and MKR without either a warning or an explanation. All the while, he claiming that it was the "advertisers" who were demanding all of the changes in the magazine's format.

It took me nearly 5 years to finally come to terms with the sense of betrayal left by Levy after that debacle. By all rights, Levy's Mixx, which later became Tokyopop, should have failed then. But it somehow mange to survive.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
(On a random note, I always hated the title Eerie Queerie. I mean...Really. The original title was Ghost!; couldn't TP have come up with something a little closer to that? My friend and I always called it by the original title just because saying the English name felt strange, especially in public. And, hah, Princess Ai. I refused to touch it, even before I learned that Courtney Love's name was attached to it.)

Anyway, a very nice analysis on the Tokyopop situation. I do appreciate what they did to the manga industry. It was revolutionary. It was their later decisions--or should I say Stu Levy's decisions--that led to its eventual collapse. The way you guys described it really fits; so many projects were started up, but they were never finished or utilized to their complete capacity. Or were just stupid.

I feel mostly for the series which weren't big hits. Hetalia, Alice in the Country of Hearts, and Fruits Basket are sure to find new homes. Maybe the leftover CLAMP titles. Deadman Wonderland, Loveless, Maid-sama, Saiyuki, and some of the .Hack properties weren't huge, but I could see them also being relicensed (though the Ichijinsha issue needs to be cleared up). I also image that series that were slated for summer/fall release might be picked up simply because they haven't proven to be successes or failures, but apparently gad enough potential to warrant a release. Really, it's the series that went unfinished and/or had skimpy sales which will be lost in License Limbo. It wasn't always the quality of the series; I think in many cases, the glut of other titles TP had, as well as their lack of advertising, left them out of sight and out of mind. Strawberry Marshmallow seems to still have a bit of a following, though, as well as a few other miscellaneous series.

It was mentioned that Aria will probably never be picked up again, but what about Tactics? Will it be lost as well? I always thought it had moderate sales, but TP put it on hiatus, so I guess it wasn't doing that great. I also question what will become of the American comics/OEL TP had that were co-published with HarperCollins. They were doing very well; I see no reason why HC wouldn't just take them under their own imprint completely. I'm just not sure how it would end; would Stu demand royalties or something?

Last edited by RestLessone on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Wait... if they're re-releasing Sailor Moon does that mean they're releasing it in its original format, e.g. with all the yuri and more "adult" themes not seen in american kiddie entertainment, but are kosher in Japan?

And why isn't the anime being released in the US? It seems like everyone but us is getting both the manga and anime.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Wait... if they're re-releasing Sailor Moon does that mean they're releasing it in its original format, e.g. with all the yuri and more "adult" themes not seen in american kiddie entertainment, but are kosher in Japan?

And why isn't the anime being released in the US? It seems like everyone but us is getting both the manga and anime.

http://manga.about.com/b/2011/04/18/new-editions-of-sailor-moon-manga-will-stay-true-to-original.htm
^An interesting interview you should read. But basically, Kodansha is saying that the lesbian relationship, names, and the cultural references will all be there.

As for the anime...It seems there are some issues surrounding it that we aren't privy to. Funimation employees know of it, though, and it seems pretty bad. Just difficult or impossible to license, at least right now.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

the only people that can pull it off are funiamation and there is want for re-dub as well so doing a 200 episode anime with a new dub? that will take time and no telling how much to own. I already have rips on my hard drive for other sources but a re-release?? that would be warrant a purchase over vhs quailty any day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4