• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suggest your questions for the Shinichiro Watanabe interview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
rektagunn wrote:

It's probably because it's in the Events thread. Even though it is the appropriate thread for the subject matter, most of the posts come from the Anime thread.

I know this is not the best location for it in terms of views, but this is where I'm allowed to put it. It would also be pointless to make a thread in the anime forum that said "Hey, come to my thread in the events forum," since that would just clutter things up.
robear00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
If you guys have the power to, please try to keep people from asking dumb questions. I just came from the lecture at the Detroit Institute of Arts, and I'd have to say that they should screen some of these people like a radio show before letting them come up to the mic.

I'm not sure if it is going to follow the same format, but they showed the intros to Bebop and Champloo, then the first episode of Champloo (subbed). To give you an idea of a question, the first guy asked if the episode shown was going to be turned into a TV series or movie. To be fair, the guy looked like he was in his 50's, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he just didn't listen to what the people on stage were saying, let alone did any research on Watanabe-san before dropping the $8 to see this presentation. Luckily, the translator answered it himself and didn't bother Watanabe-san. A somewhat insulting situation. And personally, I was there to hear the man, the myth, and the legend talk about his works (especially on Bebop and Champloo), not wonder what the f**k is on his iPod right now, or if he paid for all of the music that's on his iPod. Believe me, there were people who didn't get to ask a question that were PISSED at these guys.

He did take some time to sign some things; hopefully, he'll do the same there. I got my Champloo box and disc 1 of Bebop signed.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
Like novem asked, I also want to know about the status of "Twilight World" and Genius Party in general. Also, what is it like working with Studio 4°C (a more general question would probably be "what has been the best animation production studio you've worked with?" but I'm biased and want to know about Studio 4°C in particular) and are Yoko Kanno, Masaaki Yuasa and Koji Morimoto as awesome in person as they are in interviews?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
robear00 wrote:
And personally, I was there to hear the man, the myth, and the legend talk about his works (especially on Bebop and Champloo)

I believe this is actually just going to be a lecture, not a Q&A session. At least if it is a Q&A, a whole bunch of people, including myself, would have been seriously misled.

Cloe wrote:
Like novem asked, I also want to know about the status of "Twilight World" and Genius Party in general.

Well, if two of my favorite ladies bring up the same question, I guess I have no choice but to ask. Wink
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Well, if two of my favorite ladies bring up the same question, I guess I have no choice but to ask. Wink

You're one awesome dude. Thanks Kazuki; you're a class act. Very Happy

Holy Crap, and I just realized novem and I have the same first name! Shocked I don't spell mine with an "h" though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

You're one awesome dude. Thanks Kazuki; you're a class act. Very Happy

Well thank you for such a great compliment. Coming from you that means a great deal to me.

Cloe wrote:
Holy Crap, and I just realized novem and I have the same first name! Shocked I don't spell mine with an "h" though.

Sure you do, it's just invisible! Wink
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I would love to know how music play a role in the series (like Beop & Champloo). I'd also like to know if Champloo has a bit of inspiration from the likes of the Wu Tang Clan.
Curry_Onigiri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Phate wrote:
Bebop used jazz, Champloo used hip hop, what will be the driving force behind your next project? Classic rock, maybe? (Heh, I can dream)

There's the new Nerima Daikon Brothers which is a musical comedy, I think it's about blues.

What I'd like to know, is about the t.A.T.u Paragate movie. It's been so long, since the first announcement, I think it was somewhere in the depths of 2003 <_<
Almost 3 years later, yet no sign of it. Could you please ask him about what'sgoing on with the movie?

Oh, and another one. How was it like, working with americans, on Animatrix' Kid's Story and Detective's Story. Different then working with japanese? same? better? worse?

Thank you, so goddamn much.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and another one. How was it like, working with americans, on Animatrix' Kid's Story and Detective's Story. Different then working with japanese? same? better? worse?

And while on it - does he intend to, or was asked to work on other American/non-Japanese animated projects (other than that t.A.T.u movie - which acoording to the ANN encyclopedia, is pretty much dead...)?
RezSav

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Mine is a filler question, you know something to throw out there when you have a few questions left: What is the deal with Episode 22: Cosmic Collision of Samurai Champloo?
evareigoki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps a question about what genres most capture his attention, or what type of genre he would find challenging?
robear00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I would love to know how music play a role in the series (like Beop & Champloo). I'd also like to know if Champloo has a bit of inspiration from the likes of the Wu Tang Clan.

You probably won't have to ask that question as the panel discussion (if there is one) will most likely ask it first. His answer to this question is pretty interesting.

As Curry_Onigiri said, this may not be in the same format, so don't me to that.

RezSav wrote:
Mine is a filler question, you know something to throw out there when you have a few questions left: What is the deal with Episode 22: Cosmic Collision of Samurai Champloo?

Have fun with that one. Someone asked that same question last night, comparing it too the oddities of Cowboy Bebop, Episode 11: Toys in the Attic.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Some questions...

1. Could you ask him if he can give us info about what will be his next project ? Live-action television or theatrical? Animated television production? Animated theatrical production? Manga?

2. Who would you most want to collaborate on a project with and why?

3. Will you include any more U.S. cities on your lecture circuit? If so, which ones?

4. What is your favorite anime title and why?

Thanks for allowing us to ask him questions! Very Happy
Proz512

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Broad general questions but I'll pipe in a couple. I didn't review the other questions so I don't know if they're duplicate.

1. Spike vs Mugen. Who's more badass in your opinion? Who would win in a duel as long as Spike doesn't have any guns? How about in a Jin vs Jet duel, who would win?

2. Cowboy Bepop seemed to be inspired by American Noir, Detective & Action films. Is this a true assumption? If so, where did you get your inspiration?

3. While films seemed to be inspiration to your characters, was there anyone who was an influence in real life that you based a character on?

4. Most anime coming out of Japan tends to be intended for the Japanese market but Bepop & Champloo seems to have wider appeal and even seems to do better in the USA with a larger fanbase. Was this your intention or did you intend to make a series that's accepted universally by anyone who watches it no matter who they are?

5. Man-Faye. Any opinions? (If he has no idea who you're referring to, bring reference pictures)

6. If you had the bank account of the Wachowski Brothers, what would you do with all that money?

7. I'm sure since you're the FAMOUS director of Bepop people have approached you with ridiculous project ideas. Care to share any that you've turned down?

8. Many in the USA consider the dubbed version of Bepop to be better than the subtitled because the characters accurately portray them. What did you think when you first heard Bepop dubbed in english, were you impressed at all?
n2dad4ever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm Korean, and here's my questions for Mr. Shinichiro:

1. In recent years, many of the popular Japanese Anime TV series have been drawn by Korean animators. What is your view on this collaboration and why? Is your view positive or negative?

2. If positive, are you interested in collaborating with Korean animators for your TV series in the future?

3. Putting Hong Kong background in the Anime series were pervasive in the 80's and 90's because of "Hong Kong noir film" popularity all over East Asia. Now, the "Korean wave" has become extremely popular in Japan. Do any Japanese animators, including yourself, think of putting some Korean cultural background in upcoming Animer series?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3