• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Open to Nausicaä Film Sequel by Evangelion's Anno

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I recall from the extras on the Nausicaa DVD, they mentioned how during the production of Nausicaa they had placed an advertisement looking for animators to work on the project, and Hideaki Anno showed up and demonstrated incredible passion, talent and potential. IIRC, Miyazaki was very impressed, and decided to give to Anno one of the pivotal and most technically challenging scenes of the movie (the giant god warrior on the hill melting apart and firing energy beams at the ohmu). I'll have to watch that again sometime, it makes me wonder how much more involvement Anno might have had in the film's animation and development.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Just think: a Hideaki Anno movie distributed internationally by Disney

Doesn't he play the main character in Miyazaki's new movie?
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I've posted some bits of info from a recent article I wrote about Anno and Miyazaki, hopefully of interest given this news:

'In an English-language interview with Miyazaki for the Japanese magazine Comic Box, we learn that Anno wanted to write a story starring Nausicaa’s warrior princess, Kushana. Miyazaki scoffs at the idea: “He just wants to play war games.” Intriguingly, Kushana’s manga backstory includes a visit to her mother, who’s been driven mad and clutches a doll she insists is her daughter. Evangelion fans (at least those who’ve seen the TV version) should find that familiar…'

'Anno’s feelings on Ghibli and Miyazaki are revealed in an essay for the Japanese Studio Ghibli box set, unofficially translated by Mark Neidengard. It’s no fannish hagiography. Anno accuses Ghibli of playing safe and avoiding dark emotions... Subversively, Anno notes Ghibli’s tendency to separate itself from anime – the studio hates its work being classed as such – and suggests it lost a vital creative spark as a result.'

The full article - which includes links to the source pieces mentioned in the text - is at http://www.mangauk.com/?p=annos-dominus
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I'm on and off with Hideaki Anno, but I loved Nausicaa, and would be interested in seeing where it goes. Anno worked on the original film, so it's not like he's a random choice.

As others have also said, I desperately hope that the planes aren't CG. That would almost be enough to ruin it for me.

Having seen the "The Wind Rises" trailer, I doubt that planes will be CG. We all know that Ghibli gets the industry's best animators both inside and outside of the studio, so there will be very talented animators who painstakingly animate airplanes one sheet a time. Very Happy
GordanHam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
explitive this news
I have been like daydreaming about this for over a year.
This is all just chatter for now, but I was hoping something like this would be a reboot following the manga, not the sequel to the first movie adaption. And Trilogy please.

Man, just him actually talking about something like this is so cool.
noigeL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
No thanks. I rather Anno get Eva 4.0 out quicker and not wait until 2020

Haven't you heard? Anno isn't even working on Rebuild of Eva that much anymore; Eva 3.0 got delegated to other animators and he's simply give approval on stuff. And boy does it show...

Source?
noigeL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

Yes, he voices the main character. His acting is flat, but it's him.
noigeL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Galap wrote:
I'm on and off with Hideaki Anno, but I loved Nausicaa, and would be interested in seeing where it goes. Anno worked on the original film, so it's not like he's a random choice.

As others have also said, I desperately hope that the planes aren't CG. That would almost be enough to ruin it for me.

Having seen the "The Wind Rises" trailer, I doubt that planes will be CG. We all know that Ghibli gets the industry's best animators both inside and outside of the studio, so there will be very talented animators who painstakingly animate airplanes one sheet a time. Very Happy

I saw the film last month in Tokyo; definitely no CG planes.
Clandescent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
Wooga wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

Yes, he voices the main character. His acting is flat, but it's him.

That's because he's a 2 dimensional director and animator. Now, if he was a 3d director and animator he would probably be a better actor. Rolling Eyes
Karlmann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, seeing Nausicaa possibly getting a sequel is kind of hard to see just because I don't think they can out do the original film. I consider the 1984 movie to be one of the best anime films of all time, the animation is stunning ( even today), the story is great, and Nausicaa herself is one of the best female characters of all time. Overall it's just a complete experience, it's like an animated epic.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not against the idea of a sequel, especially if someone like Hideaki Anno is involved, and the story is good. I also haven't read the manga which I really need to do, maybe it's available online somewhere (legally of course)?

Although nothing has been officially announced yet, I'm hoping if it does happen it turns out okay because I would love a sequel to this movie done the right way.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as Anno stays away from his own properties.

Rebuild 3.0 was a giant screw job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care who the director is, as long as the final product turns out well.

I'd definitely be up for seeing the material from the Nausicaa manga animated, though!
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'd love more Nausicaa, but you couldn't really do a sequel with out doing a more or less original story. I think where the anime left off was too large a departure from the manga to continue with the manga's story. To continue the manga, I think you'd have to start over from the beginning.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
I actually did manage to get a hold of the last volumes of Nausicaa, and from what I remember (though I could be really wrong; it was probably close to 10 years ago), that story went *dark*. Not really in it's depictions, but kind of in its themes. spoiler[Despite being billed as the world's savior, she ends up washing her hands of humanity and walking off to live a life in balance with nature. ] So I guess she kind of "saves the world", just not in the way most people were expecting. I feel like Anno would be a good fit for that kind of theme, given his work on Eva.

Though there is the issue with the giant warrior still being around for later events; not sure how that's gonna' get worked around, plus the "hero" (can't remember his name) was much more antagonistic, if I remember rightly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5