• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Open to Nausicaä Film Sequel by Evangelion's Anno

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
I smell a troll. Laughing

Hand-drawn animations has a place and a meaning even in this era, as well as stop-motion. Whoever says otherwise doesn't understand many things about art.

And Ponyo is a masterpiece, by the way. Deal with it. Cool

I am no troll. Animation is also an evolving art form. Also, I dislike how Ponyo looks older than films like GITS, which is from 1995 and was during a time, where only Disney could use digital coloring/CG to its fullest and it STILL looks better than Ponyo. Ghibli movies look way to old and under detailed. Even the Little Mermaid on BD looks newer and more detailed than any Ghibli films and it's much older than the majority of them. I prefer more bombastic art and character designs like GITS, which are detailed and vibrant.

Then it's even worse; you simply don't know what you're talking about, and also confuse personal tastes with objective artistic quality. ^^'

More details and cleaner lines don't necessarily correspond to a better movie (looks-wise). Furthermore, hand-made pencils and brushes strokes have a vitality and a personality that CG don't have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
uguu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
I smell a troll. Laughing

Hand-drawn animations has a place and a meaning even in this era, as well as stop-motion. Whoever says otherwise doesn't understand many things about art.

And Ponyo is a masterpiece, by the way. Deal with it. Cool

I am no troll. Animation is also an evolving art form. Also, I dislike how Ponyo looks older than films like GITS, which is from 1995 and was during a time, where only Disney could use digital coloring/CG to its fullest and it STILL looks better than Ponyo. Ghibli movies look way to old and under detailed. Even the Little Mermaid on BD looks newer and more detailed than any Ghibli films and it's much older than the majority of them. I prefer more bombastic art and character designs like GITS, which are detailed and vibrant.

Your posts have such obvious "wannabe-art/animation critic" red flags in them.

"Modern animation isn't hand drawn!" - what does this even MEAN. How do you think modern 2D anime is made? Do you think they just tell a computer "draw a 6 year old girl panty shot"?

"Detail = artistic quality" - this statement is practically the same thing as saying "I'm not an artist and know very little about art". There's so many things to take into account when judging art quality in an anime, everything perspective to composition to posing and expressions and yet 'detail' is the first thing wannabe-cynics always talk about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m735o_eEwgg Are you gonna tell me this is 'dated' because it's not hyper detailed? It tears apart most anime.
totoum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:

"Modern animation isn't hand drawn!" - what does this even MEAN. How do you think modern 2D anime is made? Do you think they just tell a computer "draw a 6 year old girl panty shot"?

You mean they actually don't use computers with keyboards like this? Shocked
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
totoum wrote:
uguu wrote:

You mean they actually don't use computers with keyboards like this? Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You just won the topic, congrats! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5