• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Lay Offs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maceart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why American manga companies have to get so haughty about claiming their manga is "100% authentic" or "Uncut" blah blah blah bullshit.

Just translate the manga, use the original cover, don't cut anything, keep the price within the original Japanese book price.

Taiwan sells manga at ultra cheap 85 NTD ( below 3 USD) and they're much faster than any American Company. Tong Li for the win!
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote
The only reason it's technically true that no royalties are paid on OEL titles is because no one has sold enough copies to earn back their advance yet. That's the way it works in EVERY publishing field in the U.S.--for example, if you have a $20,000 advance and 10% royalty, and the book costs $20.00, you have to sell 10,001 copies before you earn your first $2.00 in royalties. The advance on the OEL books is much higher than the MG on licensed books, so they have to sell many more copies before they break even.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
The next person who claims to be an industry insider without proving it first will be banned.

You can prove it by changing you forum e-mail account to one that proves your claimed industry knowledge, ie: DLW.

Alternatively you can e-mail me from your place of business with proof and I'll change your forum title appropriately. This is not for people who want to be anonymous, but rather for those that merely want to keep their business e-mail addy private.

Failing to do one of these, you're just another Internet drone.

-t
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Amen!

If a company licenses a manga, do their rights give them the right to do whatever the heck they want with it?
Rivkah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
Truth_Teller wrote:
First of all, TP does not pay royalty fees to their OEL artists. If they sell 1 or 1 million copies, TP owns the rights. The artist is paid the initial fee and that's it. You ask me how I know? Well, that's for me to know and you to forever guess. Don't you think TP is smart enough to make the OEL artists to sign a contract that waives their royalty fees, rights, etc. before they even draw a page?

Not true. We make royalties. Just FYI. ^_~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4