• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-01-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Or was this some other pop-culture reference I missed?
it's an American thing. Wink
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
That last comic really threw your column into the urinal, Zac.

-Franky
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote
I thought the first one was funny, but I must have left my brain somewhere laying around because I didn't get the other ones. *shrugs* Then again I don't get a lot of comedy Smile
Rally

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
I know the girl who won the Azumaga Daioh DVDs, she's quite the impressive artist as well as writer. She works on Codename: Kids Next Door for Cartoon Network and is in general an incredibly cool person.

In terms of Sailor Moon...I don't know what to say, honestly. It's been one of my favorite anime series for a very long time, and was one of my first series. Of course, it's not the best anime or even close, but it does make me sad that it is dead. To me, it will never die. I'll always love all five seasons, as well as the live action. It's just a part of my life, and will always be that way Very Happy

That said, I've not actually seen any of the musicals, I hear some are much better than others.

[No indigo text, please. -Nagi]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say is...Marcel DuChamp. Rock. On.

Also, as someone already partway asked, I can't help but wonder how many 4chan/SomethingAwful-styled 'Shops you ended up getting. Any "A ____ is fine, too," or Doug-themed "Honk! Honk!" entries?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Could the "Madhouse is going to animate it" line possibly be a really, really oblique reference to the situation with the British Natural Born Kittens anime-style cartoon, where there was an announcement to that effect two years ago and then... bupkis?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
All I have to say is...Marcel DuChamp. Rock. On.

Also, as someone already partway asked, I can't help but wonder how many 4chan/SomethingAwful-styled 'Shops you ended up getting. Any "A ____ is fine, too," or Doug-themed "Honk! Honk!" entries?

I think you mean "old SA jokes 4Chan beat into the ground over and over again", but honestly most of the runner-ups are exactly the kind of thing you'd see in an SA "let's make ____ strips funny" thread.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really get or like many of the others either, except the "Speak English!" one I thought was decent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Well, one thing's for sure: the best comic won.

Indeed. The runner ups really didn't impress me. The burger king one was good, but the rest weren't really funny to me.

Answerman wrote:
This is the same reason I don't get questions about when Sailor Moon Sailor Stars is going to get licensed - nobody really cares anymore (or they've given up hope).

I've just given up. Perhaps someday, the entire series will get a box set (or series of box sets) release. But I don't see that happening.

And as for the musicals.... it's probably for the best that those never get licensed.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I realize this is the internet and everyone's an expert on everything and stuff like education, experience and knowledge don't really count for anything since all skills and opinions are created totally equal (insert rolleyes here)

Heh...I remember your Bizenghast review where you had to debate this with some other forum member. I totally agree that there's too many people out there that think to highly of themselves, like their opinions are as valid as paid experts and professionals. Hilarious discussion from the viewpoint of a guy who likes to watch one-sided logical arguements.
Maceart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Say, isn't "downloading a translation" pretty much Answerman saying that we should download a fansub?

That just boggles my mind...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Zac wrote:
I realize this is the internet and everyone's an expert on everything and stuff like education, experience and knowledge don't really count for anything since all skills and opinions are created totally equal (insert rolleyes here)

Heh...I remember your Bizenghast review where you had to debate this with some other forum member.

I remember that. It was a perfect example of "arguing with a brick wall."
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Zac wrote:

Heh...I remember your Bizenghast review where you had to debate this with some other forum member. I totally agree that there's too many people out there that think to highly of themselves, like their opinions are as valid as paid experts and professionals.

People at IGN get paid to write reviews about anime. IGN reviewed a bootleg box set of Gungrave without realizing it. But of course my opinion isn't as valid as theirs, because they get paid. Please.
It's not a matter of thinking too much of yourself, it's a matter of other people trying to put the person doing the reviewing on a pedestal. Just because someone writes for a website doesn't mean they're the be-all end-all of anime reviewers.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
I have to pretty much agree on the point that most times, the manga is better than the anime. I mean, I still love anime, but I find myself loving manga just that much more.

Oh, and I DEMAND kittens next week, or I shall stage a large protest!

And!

I am sure someone will lose sleep over it.

Somewhere. On this planet.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Zac wrote:

Heh...I remember your Bizenghast review where you had to debate this with some other forum member. I totally agree that there's too many people out there that think to highly of themselves, like their opinions are as valid as paid experts and professionals.

People at IGN get paid to write reviews about anime. IGN reviewed a bootleg box set of Gungrave without realizing it. But of course my opinion isn't as valid as theirs, because they get paid. Please.
It's not a matter of thinking too much of yourself, it's a matter of other people trying to put the person doing the reviewing on a pedestal. Just because someone writes for a website doesn't mean they're the be-all end-all of anime reviewers.

It's not an issue of being paid or not. It's an issue of education and/or experience. Zac majored in art, so he has some knowledge to back up his opinions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4