• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Aria the Scarlet Ammo Simulcast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
YA a gun & sword loli and now wait 2 years tell its release

Still waiting on Spice and Wolf 2 and Strike Witches 2 release date
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
It's more like Shana with guns. One of the most clichéd shows that aired in the last years, with your usual Rie Kugumiya voiced tsundere loli and the guy who's become her slave in the first episode.
Oh. Ohhhh Thanks for that, I don't think I'll bother with this. I think I'll cross it off the "list of shows to try" for this season. As a tangent, I'm feeling that all the shows I've seen this season are cliched Sad

Just try it out yourself.. Though, it is a bit cliche it doesn't mean its not entertaining. Actually, theres alot of very good shows that have a bunch of cliches. Its kind of hard to find an anime that doesn't have any.
TJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
I was wondering about that, too. I was under the impression that they didn't want to get Toradora because they were afraid sales would be low, but I thought it sold decently for NISA.

Well, the threshold for success is different depending on whether a release is dubbed or sub-only.

Funimation has mentioned that the sub-only niche is of no interest to them, although that hasn't stopped them from licensing and dubbing titles where they think there may be a hook to reel in more casual fans (i.e. Dance in the Vampire Bund and the vampire theme). Maybe they didn't see one in Toradora.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
so i can legally watch this now?? nice here is hopes for dvd/bluray release as well.

If memory serves me right Funimation dubbed everthing they get. Now, the exeption is with Noitamina titles, which they clearly stated that they will get most of them, however, they will only start with streeming rights and later (if they feel like the series is worth it) they will license it or DVD/DB distribution, etc.

So if Aria the Scarlet Ammo isn't on Noitamia (which I don't think it is) then this is definatly going to get dubbed. The only problem now is that it will only see a DVD/DB release some time in Summer of 2012 in the earlest.

Do you know why that is? Well it's simple, it's not because of the dubbing process (which take a couple of months at most for a 26 episode series) but of how the Japanese companies are scared Shitless of REVERSE IMPORTATION, that is why the series will not be release until at least a year passes after the initial run of the series in Japan.

Hope that info was useful to you.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
Well, the threshold for success is different depending on whether a release is dubbed or sub-only.

Funimation has mentioned that the sub-only niche is of no interest to them, although that hasn't stopped them from licensing and dubbing titles where they think there may be a hook to reel in more casual fans (i.e. Dance in the Vampire Bund and the vampire theme). Maybe they didn't see one in Toradora.

I somehow completely forgot that Toradora wasn't dubbed. Hmm. I suppose simply simulcasting a show is a completely different animal from a DVD release as well. I can definitely see Aria having a much wider appeal, either way.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

you do know the purpose of streaming don't you? to show the "shows" ahead of time and see if they warrant a purchase and cut down on illegal means. Doing a shot in the dark in this day age is stupid. Also I do agree funi does need to hurry up with those "on blu-ray dammit" as well as index/rail-gun.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scormio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:

Any "casual" fan that gets hooked in by Dance in the Vampire Bund is in for a surprise, lol.

Regardless, there's a chance they might still be announcing more simulcasts. I know they've picked up some shows later in the season than this one.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Any "casual" fan that gets hooked in by Dance in the Vampire Bund is in for a surprise, lol.
That was my experience, they told me that it was more than what met the eye, and they were right...just not in the right way Sad

I was less disturbed by Rainbow (where almost every episode starts with an acknowledgement of graphic material) than by this show, and at least Rainbow was watchable. Gave me my melodrama fix, and the one left-turn in character development (such as it was) was interesting. Irony & mild dark humor weren't expected in such a show, at least not by me.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this got simulcast. I wanted to see it but didn't want to support fansubbers.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
so i can legally watch this now?? nice here is hopes for dvd/bluray release as well.

If memory serves me right Funimation dubbed everthing they get. Now, the exeption is with Noitamina titles, which they clearly stated that they will get most of them, however, they will only start with streeming rights and later (if they feel like the series is worth it) they will license it or DVD/DB distribution, etc.

So if Aria the Scarlet Ammo isn't on Noitamia (which I don't think it is) then this is definatly going to get dubbed. The only problem now is that it will only see a DVD/DB release some time in Summer of 2012 in the earlest.

Do you know why that is? Well it's simple, it's not because of the dubbing process (which take a couple of months at most for a 26 episode series) but of how the Japanese companies are scared Shitless of REVERSE IMPORTATION, that is why the series will not be release until at least a year passes after the initial run of the series in Japan.

Hope that info was useful to you.

That's not always the case. Delays can happen for various reasons, and there are also shows that's have been released very closely to their Japanese counterparts. Tears to Tiara's first two collections were released within days of the singles in Japan, though the dubbed complete collection didn't come out till several months later.

Also, I thought that Funi's streaming agreement with notiminA had expired? I thought it was only through the end of 2010.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Awesome, though I'll pass on the streaming version. I'll go for DVD/BD release if FUNi does license it.

firedragon54738 wrote:

Don't forget Index, Railgun, Shana 2, etc. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
So this is basically Freezing + FUMOFFU, with a dash of modern moe-art for sales?

2 wrongs don't make a right. 3 wrongs and it's undoubtedly screwed.

2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do, don't forget. Laughing
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
They're stuck in licensing hell with Geneon Universal right now. From what I've heard, there's an internal debate going on about exactly how to release them and there's still some uncertainty about Funi doing it. (So once again we've got to wait for the Japanese suits and the folks at Universal to remember that selling entertainment is how they make money.)

As to Spice and Wolf II and Strike Witches II: Funi's actually trying to get extras for Spice and Wolf from what I've read. The materials are slowly coming in but we'll get it sooner or later. With Strike Witches, I think they're having some trouble negotiating because they want Blu-Ray rights. (The re-release of the first season was at one point going to be a combo pack then suddenly it changed back to DVD-only.)

Most delays have something to do with either a lack of timely delivered production materials or some licensing issue. It's just that companies generally don't like to highlight problems like that, especially negotiating issues as that can screw up the deal.

By the by, the description of Aria the Scarlet Ammo as "basically Freezing + FUMOFFU, with a dash of modern moe-art" makes me totally want to buy it. Anime catgrin

Everyone should just enjoy what they enjoy, praise what they love and leave the rest of us to do the same. Fans complain way too much lately.

Those negative waves totally stifle the soul man. Keep your karma clean and be positive! (Remember, if you fake being happy, your brain will be tricked into thinking you are happy.)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
They're stuck in licensing hell with Geneon Universal right now. From what I've heard, there's an internal debate going on about exactly how to release them and there's still some uncertainty about Funi doing it. (So once again we've got to wait for the Japanese suits and the folks at Universal to remember that selling entertainment is how they make money.)

As to Spice and Wolf II and Strike Witches II: Funi's actually trying to get extras for Spice and Wolf from what I've read. The materials are slowly coming in but we'll get it sooner or later. With Strike Witches, I think they're having some trouble negotiating because they want Blu-Ray rights. (The re-release of the first season was at one point going to be a combo pack then suddenly it changed back to DVD-only.)

Most delays have something to do with either a lack of timely delivered production materials or some licensing issue. It's just that companies generally don't like to highlight problems like that, especially negotiating issues as that can screw up the deal.

By the by, the description of Aria the Scarlet Ammo as "basically Freezing + FUMOFFU, with a dash of modern moe-art" makes me totally want to buy it. Anime catgrin

Everyone should just enjoy what they enjoy, praise what they love and leave the rest of us to do the same. Fans complain way too much lately.

Those negative waves totally stifle the soul man. Keep your karma clean and be positive! (Remember, if you fake being happy, your brain will be tricked into thinking you are happy.)

hmm really?? this is news to me, I know they licensed rescued zero no tsukima "season 1" , shana and when they cry "season 1". hmmm Just a hopeful thought I would like to see DVD releases for the rest of zero no tsukima and when they cry but maybe that is just asking for to much. I think the other problem might be revese importing since index/rail-run, strike witches season 2 and spice and wolf 2 are still very popular in Japan, Releasing them on bluray here in cheaper box-sets means a less profit margin the can make in japan off of domestic blurays there. On the subject how many episodes is this anime slated for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

You should take your own advice since you like to complain yourself over little things.

http://community.funimation.com/tm.aspx?m=229122
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3