• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Star Driver Kagayaki no Takuto Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
They are also releasing The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie this Summer on DVD/Blu-ray. Source.

This is much more epic news! I wasn't going to buy the movie if it wasn't BD.

The same goes for Star Driver, BD or bust for me!
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
The whole "no dub, no buy" thing just sends me into an enormous rage.

I consider myself first and foremost, not just an anime fan, but a collector as well.

If I like a series, I want it in my collection,whether it has a dub or not (Especially if I like it and i've already watched it on fansubs). I take pride in my collection.

I really hope I'm not in a minority for thinking that.

I am a collector as well-in a big way-and I have been known to buy subbed only releases-but only if it's a show I really like. Case in point-the 2 seasons of You're Under Arrest that Sentai released or RS's release of Dirty Pair tv. Lots of people will buy it even if it's only subbed and lots won't because of the same reason. The whole dub vs. sub argument is really pointless-just buy what you prefer.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
The whole "no dub, no buy" thing just sends me into an enormous rage.

I consider myself first and foremost, not just an anime fan, but a collector as well.

If I like a series, I want it in my collection,whether it has a dub or not (Especially if I like it and i've already watched it on fansubs). I take pride in my collection.

I really hope I'm not in a minority for thinking that.

Considering the price of DVD's these days and how the economy is, you can't really blame English dub fans. With the rare exception of Arakawa Under The Bridge, I almost will never buy a series if it doesn't have English dub. I might watch the series with a friend, but that is about it.

For the working people, money has to be earned and you have to work for it. The only place I know of that money growing from tress is Animal Crossing and that is a fictional video game.

I don't really care what people do with their money, it's their business and not mine. You really can't tell people what they can and cannot do with their money if they worked for it and rightfully so earned it.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I just dont' agree with the whole "If it's not dubbed then it's worthless and I have everyright to just watch fansubs instead" entitlement BS that's prevelant.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I just don't' agree with the whole "If it's not dubbed then it's worthless and I have every right to just watch fan subs instead" entitlement BS that's prevalent.

Who says just because the DVD doesn't have a Dub that English dub fans even watch fan subtitles? I know I don't and I am sure other English dub fans don't either.

Like Zrdlb said, the whole sub vs. dub argument is quite pointless and fans should really only buy what they prefer.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think your "." needs to be a "?!", as currently it took me a second to see that you are actually railing against Funimation, putting them BELOW Bang-Zoom. At least, that is what I believe you are claiming.

I am fine with the period, thanks for the laugh though.
HopelessOsaka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Like Zrdlb said, the whole sub vs. dub argument is quite pointless and fans should really only buy what they prefer.

Agree with this to the T. Why dismiss a show just because it doesn't speak one's language? If a show has merits and you think that it is your thing, then just check it out and buy it (if you have money to spare, at least). The whole of Simoun for me? Pretty fabulous. Not buying it because it doesn't have a dub? Ridiculous. Feeling that a lot of dub potential was wasted, regardless? Absolutely fine.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Fans need to stop being so downright petty.

"No dub, no buy" "No bluray, no buy" "No lossless audio, no buy" "No anything, no buy" "Show sucks because I seen it for free, no buy"

No one seems to be happy anymore that they're actually getting DVDs out there. Maybe all anime companies should just put their stuff on Itunes from now on because fans arent buying anything or are too PETTY to buy it. Actually, they should just go out of business and no one would care from the looks of it. They should go import Japanese DVDs, because No-sub 2 ep discs for 50-70 bucks is a HECK of alot better than subtitled 7 episodes discs for 40-50 bucks. <_<

If having a dub really was the deal breaker for anime, Sentai would be out of business, Geneon and ADV would still be alive and Bandai would still be dubbing, simple as that. But it isn't, it's the other way around. You get what you pay for.

Personally, I think dubbed DVDs should range more to about 100 dollars per half seasons and 50 for subbed. Because the fans who actually buy it even at that price would be showing they really want a dub instead of complaining all the time.

It should be DVD release = INSTANT BUY.

I wouldn't be surprised if we stop getting DVDs or blurays in the near future...so much for the industry.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

"No dub, no buy" "No bluray, no buy" "No lossless audio, no buy" "No anything, no buy" "Show sucks because I seen it for free, no buy"

No one seems to be happy anymore that they're actually getting DVDs out there. Maybe all anime companies should just put their stuff on Itunes from now on because fans arent buying anything or are too PETTY to buy it. Actually, they should just go out of business and no one would care from the looks of it. They should go import Japanese DVDs, because No-sub 2 ep discs for 50-70 bucks is a HECK of alot better than subtitled 7 episodes discs for 40-50 bucks. <_<

If having a dub really was the deal breaker for anime, Sentai would be out of business, Geneon and ADV would still be alive and Bandai would still be dubbing, simple as that. But it isn't, it's the other way around. You get what you pay for.

Personally, I think dubbed DVDs should range more to about 100 dollars per half seasons and 50 for subbed. Because the fans who actually buy it even at that price would be showing they really want a dub instead of complaining all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we stop getting DVDs or blurays in the near future...so much for the industry.

Anime fans are fickle and the how no dub no buy mentality thing is getting on my nerves. It has more or less becoming a giant pissing contest. If you are not happy that something didn't get a dub that is fine. Accept that not everything can get a dub these day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
For me, the reason I have the "No dub, no buy" mentality, is because if a show is popular enough as a sub only release, it will eventually get a dub, but it of course, depends on how well it sells, but if you buy sub only stuff go right ahead, but I like having more than one language option,
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:00 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

Sorry but I just don't see the point of buying a sub only DVD/BD, when I can watch subs for free online legally.

(yes I know there's nowhere to legally watch star driver in english subs)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

Sorry but I just don't see the point of buying a sub only DVD/BD, when I can watch subs for free online legally.

(yes I know there's nowhere to legally watch star driver in english subs)

Ummm.. than what's the point of buying a dubbed DVD or Bluray, when you can watch the dubs online legally for free, or over something like Netflix with a subscription?

People have tried to use this argument before, but it just doesn't hold water since the exact same thing applies to dubbed series (through both legal and illegal methods.)
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote
You got a point there, never saw that lol.

(I will never buy a sub only DVD/BD though)
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
You got a point there, never saw that lol.

(I will never buy a sub only DVD/BD though)

Then you're better off just dropping anime since new series are more likely to be subbed than dubbed. Want to know why? because people, namely you, don't want to spend over 20 bucks for a 26 episode series to support the said actors. It costs more than 20 bucks to make a profit for a dub. YOU are the reason why this is not getting a dub.

If companies can't make a profit, they won't make anime anymore. So if the industry dies, I know who to blame. =3
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Ummm.. than what's the point of buying a dubbed DVD or Bluray, when you can watch the dubs online legally for free, or over something like Netflix with a subscription?

People have tried to use this argument before, but it just doesn't hold water since the exact same thing applies to dubbed series (through both legal and illegal methods.)

Now hold up a minute. There's a massive difference between this argument in reference to illegal means and this argument in reference to legal means. If one is using any of the complaints you or Kazemon15 mentioned to justify not buying something they've already pirated or plan to pirate instead then I fully agree that's rather suspect. However, if someone chooses to watch a show via legal streams (or just not watch it at all) and then doesn't buy the DVD because of the above reasons, you have absolutely zero right to judge. Nobody is obligated to support a product they don't want. If they're not watching illegally, they can do whatever they want and their reasons aren't really any of your business.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5