• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Microsoft to Start Cloud Girl Manga for Windows Azure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
LoL, if I were them, I would've just paid Square-Enix to let me use Cloud Strife to promote it. That would stir up interest pretty fast~
andyscout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nanami Madobe, the unofficial blue-haired mascot character created to promote the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system

Not 100% on this, but wasn't Nanami the official mascot character? Certainly supported by Microsoft since her voice pack was a bonus for certain versions of Win 7 in Japan.

The older OS-tans are definitely unofficial though.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Microsoft...? Am I losing it tonight or what? I would totally import this just to show to my proffesor/advisor, who is a microsoft guru
Taishi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
andyscout wrote:
Quote:
Nanami Madobe, the unofficial blue-haired mascot character created to promote the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system

Not 100% on this, but wasn't Nanami the official mascot character? Certainly supported by Microsoft since her voice pack was a bonus for certain versions of Win 7 in Japan.

The older OS-tans are definitely unofficial though.

Expect Drama CDs, ladies and gentlemen. This will mean more Nana Mizuki who is the voice of Nanami.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Alternate story:
Ms. Claudia being cloudy as she is of course, loves to have many users at once, although each user has the task of manually opening her ports. After a while though, the risk of contracting a virus infection becomes high.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
To the cloud!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
Sir Amyas Leigh wrote:
Microsoft...? Am I losing it tonight or what? I would totally import this just to show to my proffesor/advisor, who is a microsoft guru

Feel free to visit the Silverlight page of Microsoft Taiwan, along with cosplayers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MJP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
I guess Amazon's cloud failure wasn't enough to convince people that "the cloud" isn't just marketing hype that is completely redundant on massive centralized infrastructure.

I thought the whole point of the Internet was to turn the emphasis away from a centralized server and decentralized clients?
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
This certainly got my attention, I've to check this out sometime!
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
MJP wrote:
I guess Amazon's cloud failure wasn't enough to convince people that "the cloud" isn't just marketing hype that is completely redundant on massive centralized infrastructure.

I thought the whole point of the Internet was to turn the emphasis away from a centralized server and decentralized clients?

You've got some double-negatives going on there that confuse what you're trying to say.

The idea of failover/load-balancing clusters isn't new and untested. Many, many organizations use them to useful ends. Only the branding as "clouds" is new.

Amazon's offering failed to deliver on that premise for reasons that have yet to be made public.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Sir Amyas Leigh wrote:

Feel free to visit the Silverlight page of Microsoft Taiwan, along with cosplayers.

Wow thats just great. Why can't microsoft market their stuff like that in the states? I wouldn't think they were weird at all....
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Sir Amyas Leigh wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Sir Amyas Leigh wrote:

Wow thats just great. Why can't microsoft market their stuff like that in the states? I wouldn't think they were weird at all....

because the commercials would all have to happen outside of safe harbor ;D
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Sir Amyas Leigh wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Sir Amyas Leigh wrote:

Wow thats just great. Why can't microsoft market their stuff like that in the states?

Because the states just not that into it. Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
I want to say those "to the cloud" ads for Windows 7 is actually more about remote desktop access than actual cloud sharing. Unless they are indeed sharing on the network and not accessing their home PC.

Is anyone else reaaaally paranoid and disturbed by the oncoming trend of cloud file access? At least with having the files on your private drive you had a bit more control over it. Though even then it isn't always the case, big brother can still burn your books. 451 kbps, the speed at which books are deleted? Of course with cloud sharing you don't even need that. You just take the media off of the server and no one can get to it anymore. Is it any wonder why Bradbury doesn't want any of his books on all these e-readers?
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
why w/ 2tb drives selling for less then $60 would people want to save info on distant servers that they may not be able to access then on their own hard drives. Only thing the "cloud" is useful for is portable devices that for size reasons only have flash memory.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2