• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl's Moving Castle Nominated for Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Finally the Oscar people got it right. These are three strong choices. I didn't have time to see CB or W&G. Maybe when it comes out on DVD I will take a look. I have Howl's moving castle so I'll give it another look.

Tim Burton, Nick Parks, and Hayao Miyazaki are all great directors.

Maybe next year the Academy will do 5 animated features (like they do for the live action ones).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
n2dad4ever wrote:
Then again, he already won a long-deserved Oscar for "Spirited Away." I feel that the Oscar will be reluctant to give out the trophy to foreign people.

Hmmm, like Nick Park?

Mach5Motorsport wrote:
I think the point was that both Dreamworks and Disney didn't create either nominee, but rather helped finance/produce for distribution. In the case of Disney, they bankrolled the dub and a credible advertising campain for Howl's. Far better than the effort put forward for Princess Mononoke.

Actually you'll find that Disney, through Buena Vista Japan, funded a good deal of the film full stop.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kamidai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Miyazaki.

I want Wallace and Grommit to win, though. It was by far the actual best movie of the three. And I say this as the girl with more known Howl's Moving Castle cosplay than anybody else in the USA, who has been promoting the movie via cosplay since before it came out in Japan, and who has bought every Howl-related item she can legally buy. HMC may be based on my favorite story of all time, but Wallace and Grommit is not an incomprehensible mess to those not familiar with a source novel.
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
n2dad4ever wrote:
I wish "Howl" would win this category. Unlike other two nominations, "Howl" has a deep humanist message that can't be found in any American animation. I love Miyazaki's movies because of his anti-war, pacifist ideology.

Then again, he already won a long-deserved Oscar for "Spirited Away." I feel that the Oscar will be reluctant to give out the trophy to foreign people.

...But "Wallace and Grommit", the favorite in the Animated Award race, was made in the UK.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote
Well I'm happy to see this thread is more positive about "Howl's" nomination than the AoD thread is. In that thread, a good many of the responce could be boiled down into "'Howl's' s*cks, no one should ever watch the film, let alone nominated it for a Oscar," as well as comments by a couple of posters about how the film is anti-American Rolling Eyes.

I don't know if this is a community difference or if I just missed hearing something about the film back when it was in theater. As I mentioned over in the AoD thread, I've not personally seen "Howl's" yet because it show in a theater closer to me than a five hour car trip (ten hours round trip). I had read reviews that some viewers who had seen the film didn't like it but one of the few people I know in real life who saw it liked the film a lot (I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone claim it was the best Miyazaki film, though).

So i'm confused by the vitrol that's now being thrown at the film Sad. I still think "Howl's Moving Castle" was a better pick than most of the rest of the list of films on the 2005 short list so I'm happy to see it make the final ballot (but I think "Wallace and Gromit" is most likely going to be the winner as well).
Bell02

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
hmmm... well I do like W&G, this is a really hard choice in my opinion. They all probably were great (I unfortunately missed W&G due to school), however I do say that this is the first time in a long time where I'm not rooting for some to not get the award.

I did see Howl's moving castle and I also have read the book, but I honestly don't see how one could expect Miyazaki to make the movie exactly like that. I really liked the movie (and the book), I thought the movie was above excellent and actually was my favorite movie of 2005, however I was dissappointed with the ending in thinking that there should have been an extra 30 mins to wrap things up properly as it felt more of a rush job.

CB, I really loved too, but I guess I had a little "male in a musical" syndrome and found it slightly or cheesey boring at times. (Though I still am anticipating the DVD release of this also)

Was their actually a 4th movie nominated though? I can't really think of others that could fit up with this titles.
ladholyman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
Such vastly different styles... who'll win in the end?
Maceart

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
If only ADV has pushed Beyond the Clouds for a limited release... it could've been nominated as another nominee. Then we'll have some very tough choices.

But hey, not that I'm complaining. This year's Oscar animation nominees are all fitting of the prize.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
I'm rooting for W&G. I've been waiting 10 years for that film to come out; and it was everything that I imagined it would be. Not to say that Howl wasn't a masterpiece, either. Just as long as Corpse Bride doesn't win, I'll be happy.
Mekairinek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
'Wallace and Gromit' is gonna win anyways, so why bother with the nominations? Anime hyper;;; Which isn't a *bad* thing, 'cause I love W&G and 'Were Rabbit' was one of the best movies of 2005 IMO.

... Though a small part of me is hoping 'Corpse Bride' will take the win, just for the sake of being a dark horse.

Still, I didn't get to see 'Howls' yet, but I'd like to eventually.
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, three good nominations. And none of them are only children's films. These are much more adult oriented fllms, than some past years...
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:

Actually you'll find that Disney, through Buena Vista Japan, funded a good deal of the film full stop.

Widya Santoso

umm a bit off topic, what does that have to do with the current nominees? Confused
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
awwww, isn't this adorable? :3

Nick Park and Miyazaki-sama folks ^^
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:50 am Reply with quote
Mach5Motorsport wrote:
Sydney2K wrote:

umm a bit off topic, what does that have to do with the current nominees? Confused

Because you said that Disney bankrolled the dub and advertising for Howl. Actually, they also helped fund the original Japanese version first.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Annie Awards have just been announced, and Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit won every single award it was nominated for. Neither Corpse Bride nor Howl's Moving Castle won awards (seeing that it was nominated against Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit.)

Seeing that the Annie award for best feature goes on to win the Academy award, I should think it's all over bar the shouting.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4